Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Toughest game?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cockney4league

Cockney4league
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

I was reading an article where Scott Quinnell said the toughest game of rugby of either code he played was Wales vs Western Samoa in the 1995 world cup. I am too young to remeber that, but I was wondering if those that can remember it how brutal was it and how did the New Zealand vs Samoa game on Sunday compare, as that was epic.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,774 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

I was reading an article where Scott Quinnell said the toughest game of rugby of either code he played was Wales vs Western Samoa in the 1995 world cup. I am too young to remeber that, but I was wondering if those that can remember it how brutal was it and how did the New Zealand vs Samoa game on Sunday compare, as that was epic.

I didn't see it, but I remember reading the match report. It was pretty brutal, apparently.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

I saw it and yep, it was brutal. The NZ Samoa match reminded me of it a bit, but that game went much further. Don't forget Kelvin was playing for Wales that day! :O

Edited by Griff9of13, 30 October 2013 - 04:46 PM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,774 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

I saw it and yep, it was brutal. The NZ Samoa match reminded me of it a bit, but that game went much further. Don't forget Kelvin was playing for Wales that day! :O

Yeah, and SuperKel didn't get away unscathed either!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

I am priveliged to say I WAS THERE. The match was played at the Vetch Field in Swansea. Wales kicked off. The ball was taken up by I believe it was Tuigemala. Paul Moriarty led the chase. The impact was huge and I swear the stadium moved three feet sideways. Yes it was brutal. Not only is rugby league the greatest game but it demands a high level of courage.

#6 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

Yeah, and SuperKel didn't get away unscathed either!

Oh yes; it was a game of give and take. Both teams gave it all and received it back in equal measure. :D

One of the top games I've ever seen in 30 odd years watching this great game.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#7 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

I wasn't here but remember it being on TV (maybe Setanta or something?). Some work colleagues got it and I persuaded them to record it for me and go round later to watch it. When I got there they'd actually started watching it during the recording and they'd ended up watching the whole thing.
And yes, brutal isn't the word. It was awesome.

#8 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

Oh yes; it was a game of give and take. Both teams gave it all and received it back in equal measure. :D

One of the top games I've ever seen in 30 odd years watching this great game.

Couldn't find a video clip, but here's a photo from said bruising encounter ... http://www.friendsre...6e-a00f01120581

#9 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

I wasn't here but remember it being on TV (maybe Setanta or something?). Some work colleagues got it and I persuaded them to record it for me and go round later to watch it. When I got there they'd actually started watching it during the recording and they'd ended up watching the whole thing.
And yes, brutal isn't the word. It was awesome.

I am sure it was on L!VE TV and it was a fearsome clash.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,774 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

I am sure it was on L!VE TV and it was a fearsome clash.

Yes, apart from a few BBC matches, the majority of the tournament was on L!veTV, the home of topless darts and trampolining dwarf weather forecasters. I'm sure it sounded like a good idea at the time, but non-terrestrial TV was in its infancy and subscribers were few, which is probably why there is so little footage uploaded to YouTube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users