Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Toughest game?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cockney4league

Cockney4league
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

I was reading an article where Scott Quinnell said the toughest game of rugby of either code he played was Wales vs Western Samoa in the 1995 world cup. I am too young to remeber that, but I was wondering if those that can remember it how brutal was it and how did the New Zealand vs Samoa game on Sunday compare, as that was epic.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

I was reading an article where Scott Quinnell said the toughest game of rugby of either code he played was Wales vs Western Samoa in the 1995 world cup. I am too young to remeber that, but I was wondering if those that can remember it how brutal was it and how did the New Zealand vs Samoa game on Sunday compare, as that was epic.

I didn't see it, but I remember reading the match report. It was pretty brutal, apparently.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

I saw it and yep, it was brutal. The NZ Samoa match reminded me of it a bit, but that game went much further. Don't forget Kelvin was playing for Wales that day! :O

Edited by Griff9of13, 30 October 2013 - 04:46 PM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

I saw it and yep, it was brutal. The NZ Samoa match reminded me of it a bit, but that game went much further. Don't forget Kelvin was playing for Wales that day! :O

Yeah, and SuperKel didn't get away unscathed either!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

I am priveliged to say I WAS THERE. The match was played at the Vetch Field in Swansea. Wales kicked off. The ball was taken up by I believe it was Tuigemala. Paul Moriarty led the chase. The impact was huge and I swear the stadium moved three feet sideways. Yes it was brutal. Not only is rugby league the greatest game but it demands a high level of courage.

#6 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

Yeah, and SuperKel didn't get away unscathed either!

Oh yes; it was a game of give and take. Both teams gave it all and received it back in equal measure. :D

One of the top games I've ever seen in 30 odd years watching this great game.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#7 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

I wasn't here but remember it being on TV (maybe Setanta or something?). Some work colleagues got it and I persuaded them to record it for me and go round later to watch it. When I got there they'd actually started watching it during the recording and they'd ended up watching the whole thing.
And yes, brutal isn't the word. It was awesome.

#8 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

Oh yes; it was a game of give and take. Both teams gave it all and received it back in equal measure. :D

One of the top games I've ever seen in 30 odd years watching this great game.

Couldn't find a video clip, but here's a photo from said bruising encounter ... http://www.friendsre...6e-a00f01120581

#9 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,087 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

I wasn't here but remember it being on TV (maybe Setanta or something?). Some work colleagues got it and I persuaded them to record it for me and go round later to watch it. When I got there they'd actually started watching it during the recording and they'd ended up watching the whole thing.
And yes, brutal isn't the word. It was awesome.

I am sure it was on L!VE TV and it was a fearsome clash.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

I am sure it was on L!VE TV and it was a fearsome clash.

Yes, apart from a few BBC matches, the majority of the tournament was on L!veTV, the home of topless darts and trampolining dwarf weather forecasters. I'm sure it sounded like a good idea at the time, but non-terrestrial TV was in its infancy and subscribers were few, which is probably why there is so little footage uploaded to YouTube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users