Sally Bolton for RFL Chief

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

This WC seems the best organised RL event in years. Should RLWC CEO Sally Bolton replace Nigel Wood as RFL CEO? I know its early days, but should this tournament continue to to be successful, should she be offered the top job?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

In my humble opinion she should be appointed to the top level. I am not sure how she would deal with the internal politics of the game. But for commercial sponsorship and advertising she has no equal, She may be able to persuade the Rugby Union driven BBC to televise more of our game.

#3 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

I have already stated that she should be in charge.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#4 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 606 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

In my humble opinion she should be appointed to the top level. I am not sure how she would deal with the internal politics of the game. But for commercial sponsorship and advertising she has no equal, She may be able to persuade the Rugby Union driven BBC to televise more of our game.

Good post, they need to retain her in a capacity that benefits the game the most. My worry is that she has been noticed by other sports

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

organising a tournament is quite different to leading a governing body.

also - people need to stop ignoring the fact that Nigel Wood is the Tournament Director - basically the head honcho.

#6 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

I've noticed Nige getting his name out there as 'Tournament Director' a lot recently.. maybe he doesn't like all the compliments Sally is getting!

Edit... Dave beat me to it.

Edited by EastLondonMike, 30 October 2013 - 05:17 PM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#7 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

I think a better role would be at the RLIF. She could easily get dragged under with petty club squabbles. She could head up development and tournaments etc. You would imagine that the profits from the WC would fund a full time office and admin department there. If it doesn't then what is the point?

#8 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

If Clare balding is not available then I quite agree - we need fresh ideas and a new perspective

#9 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

Without calling into question her undoubted talents as an event organiser is she qualified or able to take charge of a governing body? That said I think on the back of the excellent job she has done organising this world cup she should be retained in a marketing and promotion capacity. Preferably with an international scope.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,167 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Even if she doesn't stay with TGG she and her team have raised the bar on what we should expect.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#11 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

I admire what Sally has achieved. Walking the fine line between serving the areas most associated with the game and also meaningful expansion is a tough one, but so far she (and they) seem to have pulled it off.

#12 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

That Josh Charnley's a fast runner, let's make him coach.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#13 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 985 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

That Josh Charnley's a fast runner, let's make him coach.

Think he'll do better than the current muppet in charge

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

Without calling into question her undoubted talents as an event organiser is she qualified or able to take charge of a governing body? That said I think on the back of the excellent job she has done organising this world cup she should be retained in a marketing and promotion capacity. Preferably with an international scope.

I think she runs her own business doesn't she?  I remember reading pre-world cup that she was also involved in the 1995 world cup I believe alongside Maurice Lindsay, who spoke very highly of her in the interview with him that I read.  She's had a lifelong interest in rugby league although I don't know whether she has ever played the game and I'm sure she worked at the Wigan club for a while.  And now she has headed up a world cup tournament.

Does any of that mean she is qualified?

As for Nigel Wood being the tournament director.  Personally I believe that is a figurehead role.  He isn't based at the Salford offices, he doesn't manage the team and it was reported at the time the Salford office was set up that the RLWC team was a separate entity from the RFL.  Obviously there needs to be a link because of the funding arrangements but other than that I doubt he has a significant role.  The whole thing would be impossible to manage if he did.  He just likes to get himself out there. 

#15 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 546 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

She's had a lifelong interest in rugby league although I don't know whether she has ever played the game and I'm sure she worked at the Wigan club for a while. 

Wasn't she CEO at Wigan for a while?

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

As for Nigel Wood being the tournament director. Personally I believe that is a figurehead role. He isn't based at the Salford offices, he doesn't manage the team and it was reported at the time the Salford office was set up that the RLWC team was a separate entity from the RFL. Obviously there needs to be a link because of the funding arrangements but other than that I doubt he has a significant role. The whole thing would be impossible to manage if he did. He just likes to get himself out there.

i assume none of that is based in anything.

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

i assume none of that is based in anything.

I stated quite clearly what it is based 'in' (I think you meant 'on' but never mind): it is based on my belief.  As I said.  And I based that belief on what I read when the Salford offices were first set up and I would also add - now, not in the post you were having a dig at - that subsequent articles I have read since have boosted that belief. 

#18 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

who appointed Sally Bolton?
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#19 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

who appointed Sally Bolton?

That would probably depend on when she was appointed.  We've had a relatively recent change in chief executive.

And don't forget, Maurice Lindsay appointed her as his assistant for the 1995 WC. 

#20 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

Semi inclined to agree with you.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users