Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

local leagues

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

Would it be a good idea to go back to local leagues? play county cups and national cup, and have intercity games? this would cut down on costs dramatically, give players more players chance to play in rep games, and keep some element of national games

#2 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

No

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#3 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

No

why?

#4 6brackendale

6brackendale
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

No !

#5 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Players chose to play for clubs in the NCL for a reason, there is already plenty of provision for those who don't want to play in national competition. I acknowledge what you are saying about costs but looking to address that is more realistic that just abandoning a long established and ultra competitive competition.

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#6 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

No way!!! Going back to regional leagues is a stupid idea, every club should want to play at the highest level. If League goes back local then then Union teams will be overrun with converts.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#7 Guest_hairywombat_*

Guest_hairywombat_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

It wouldn't be that bad in Hull ref, as half the prem sides are from there. ;)

#8 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

I think the hull league would be by far the strongest, followed by a Leigh league

#9 Guest_hairywombat_*

Guest_hairywombat_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

Lets not start this age old discussion up, I was only joking.

#10 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

I think the hull league would be by far the strongest, followed by a Leigh league

A Leigh league..... Wow heard it all now

#11 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

There is a hull league, feel free to enter

#12 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

Playing regional is being spoken about more and more, it doesn't mean you will get a better standard of game by sitting on a coach a few hours before you play a game, the switch to summer and the lack of support the switch has received may just force some clubs hands, only time will tell, a lot of clubs are struggling financially so it wouldn't come as a shock if clubs start to drop out,

#13 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

Lets not start this age old discussion up, I was only joking.

I noted the wink. :)  The Hull league would be smallish but I would get fed up of watching Miners v Easts in the Leigh league. :no:

#14 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

I noted the wink. :)  The Hull league would be smallish but I would get fed up of watching Miners v Easts in the Leigh league. :no:

Come on once a ref, I'm sure you can use your imagination and think of a few more teams you could play in the north west!!
The concept of the NCL was good at the biigining now it's grown do you not think the talented players are spread out to much?

#15 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

Come on once a ref, I'm sure you can use your imagination and think of a few more teams you could play in the north west!!
The concept of the NCL was good at the biigining now it's grown do you not think the talented players are spread out to much?

It was the OP who suggested a Leigh League. Not a NW league (that already exists)

#16 Sandspine

Sandspine
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

O

Edited by Sandspine, 31 October 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#17 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

I may be wrong  but i'm sure the league is called the NATIONAL conference league,if you don't want to be in it sod off back to your regional leagues,at least then we won't have to listen to your whingeing when you make your 1 or 2 trips to cumbria a season.I am also sure there are plenty of forward thinking,ambitious clubs waiting to take your place.

#18 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

It was the OP who suggested a Leigh League. Not a NW league (that already exists)

haha, couldn't think of the name of the league! I meant a league that would have the Wigan teams in it aswel

#19 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

Ah then that is a bit better, you could call it the Wiggin League then because Leigh is in Wigan. :tongue:

#20 tag

tag
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

Would it be a good idea to go back to local leagues? play county cups and national cup, and have intercity games? this would cut down on costs dramatically, give players more players chance to play in rep games, and keep some element of national games

I think it could work if set up properly. national opposition will still be catered for with the cups, so players would be able to test themselves. inter town games used to be very successful, so these would be good to have back. I think the best part would be the reduced costs, at the minute the game has very little money. I think it could work. another idea would be to have regional conferences with a national playofff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users