local leagues

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

Players chose to play for clubs in the NCL for a reason, there is already plenty of provision for those who don't want to play in national competition. I acknowledge what you are saying about costs but looking to address that is more realistic that just abandoning a long established and ultra competitive competition.

Lets be right, the NCL had over a long period of time become the envy of all Rugby League competitions in this country, over the last two seasons the standard on the field has become that erratic because teams are having to field weak teams due to players having other comments that the Pennine premier probably maintains a better playing standard over a full season.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#22 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

The NCL is a fine, well run league, and the only reason I still watch Rugby League at all, so just leave it alone. The only problem I can see is that there are not enough dedicated players or volunteers to run clubs as there used to be. Too many other distractions these days. I love seeing new clubs in the NCL, but I am afraid quantity, rather than quality is starting to have a detrimental effect!

#23 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

the Pennine premier probably maintains a better playing standard over a full season.

:jester:

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#24 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

:jester:

"You know it" and the players are starting to realise it, look at Dudley Hill and the reason given WHY they defaulted.

It's not nice to see and I've even read reports of the flourishing Milford club struggling, either that report was wrong or the people preaching on here are wrong, time will tell (Do we have time?)

#25 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

I think having regional conferences would be beneficial to get the quality of teams back up as many lads have stopped traveling due to work commitments and can work and still play if they are playing local teams. Like a Yorkshire conference a cumbria conference and a north west conference. I know a few more north west teams would apply or reapply if this was the case. I know west bank dropped out due to travelling and lads not bein able yo commit fully with all the long coach journeys. I also think bring back inter town team games and pick rep sides from them. I was lucky enough to play in the widnes vs warrington town of origin game 2 years back for charity. It was a great success and i know everyone involved enjoyed playing in it, and were willing to build on it. But the widnes and warrington committees wouldnt give there backing to build on its success, and with it being arranged and set up by volunteers at there own expense it has proved to be the stumbling block. If this was to be rolled out nationally i think it would take off and get people wanting to play to get picked for ther towns, and creating a better standard of rugby and higher standard of players to pick from.

P.s sorry about my punctuation and grammar im on my mobile and have fat fingers

Edited by Leighton10, 31 October 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#26 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

I think having regional conferences would be beneficial to get the quality of teams back up as many lads have stopped traveling due to work commitments and can work and still play if they are playing local teams. Like a Yorkshire conference a cumbria conference and a north west conference. I know a few more north west teams would apply or reapply if this was the case. I know west bank dropped out due to travelling and lads not bein able yo commit fully with all the long coach journeys. I also think bring back inter town team games and pick rep sides from them. I was lucky enough to play in the widnes vs warrington town of origin game 2 years back for charity. It was a great success and i know everyone involved enjoyed playing in it, and were willing to build on it. But the widnes and warrington committees wouldnt give there backing to build on its success, and with it being arranged and set up by volunteers at there own expense it has proved to be the stumbling block. If this was to be rolled out nationally i think it would take off and get people wanting to play to get picked for ther towns, and creating a better standard of rugby and higher standard of players to pick from.

good post

#27 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

Great idea, Doesn't it sound a little like the life in amateur rugby league before the NCL was formed.

#28 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

Regional conferences will be fine for those that are happy to play regularly in their own backyards but the National Conference will still be there for teams that want to regularly play against the best nationally.

#29 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

the points mentioned for being regional cater for national competition. also, you play the same teams every year in the conference leagues( promoted teams are generally the same teams year after year)so that argument does not really work. the NCL teams are not always the best teams.

Edited by ehbandit, 01 November 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#30 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

The NCL should  contain the best teams because the best teams should want to play at the highest level.

Edited by once a ref always a ref, 01 November 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#31 Guest_hairywombat_*

Guest_hairywombat_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

I reckon in time the NCL will consist of teams from even further afield such as Nottingham, Coventry etc with even more travelling, but it doesn't mean to say it will be any better, as

I think some of the best amateur clubs will be playing in regional leagues. I'm not saying I think it will be right, but reckon it's getting too hard to keep clubs in the black, only my opinion of course.

#32 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

You could have the top 2 from each regional conference enter a play off so you would play the best of the best and then a national conference champion would be crowned by winnig the play offs. It would incourage more regional teams to enter, as we know that there are some really good sides outside of the ncl that could add real qaulity to te conference.

#33 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

there are some really good sides outside of the ncl that could add real qaulity to te conference.

Of course there are but what minimum standards would be acceptable in a regional conference?

#34 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

I've got a great idea. Why not just leave everything alone and stop trying to complicate things. Those that want to be in the NCL can be, and I don't think there is anything stopping them that don't from leaving? Let those that want to play summer play summer, and those that want to play winter play winter. How is that for an revolutionary idea? I am a huge fan of the NCL but just for the record, I don't go along with the theory that all the best teams, regarding playing standards, are in the NCL.

#35 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

The NCL should  contain the best teams because the best teams should want to play at the highest level.

Some great players still want to play with their mates locally as well.

#36 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

Of course there are but what minimum standards would be acceptable in a regional conference?

A  NEW national league in the winter could and probably would take teams with ambitions to fulfil a criteria within a short staggered period of time, maybe phase one within 3 seasons & phase two within 5 seasons.

#37 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

"You know it" and the players are starting to realise it, look at Dudley Hill and the reason given WHY they defaulted.

It's not nice to see and I've even read reports of the flourishing Milford club struggling, either that report was wrong or the people preaching on here are wrong, time will tell (Do we have time?)

Not sure where you have read reports that the flourishing Milford club are struggling. The only level that Milford are struggling are at youth level which needs looking at this is a big problem not only for Milford but also for a lot of other clubs and need sorting asap.

#38 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

A  NEW national league in the winter could and probably would take teams with ambitions to fulfil a criteria within a short staggered period of time, maybe phase one within 3 seasons & phase two within 5 seasons.

Do you never get fed up of being the winter bore, I am beginning to think that you have or are turning into a troll.  Everyone else is discussing regional conferences as an alternative to the NCL. If you want a NEW  national league in winter then start a topic.

The reason given on this topic for regional leagues is the travelling aspect of a national league so you are so far off topic it is embarrassing.

Edited by once a ref always a ref, 01 November 2013 - 11:15 PM.

#39 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

Do you never get fed up of being the winter bore, I am beginning to think that you have or are turning into a troll.  Everyone else is discussing regional conferences as an alternative to the NCL. If you want a NEW  national league in winter then start a topic.

The reason given on this topic for regional leagues is the travelling aspect of a national league so you are so far off topic it is embarrassing.

Surely you must know that to start a new league it has to be passed by the Community board and with the glorious leaders from the NCL and the rest of the RFL puppets on board do you really believe they would allow it, control, squeeze and kill, but it's not going to happen as long as teams and players want to play in the winter and it's looking like more are looking to move back to the traditional season.

#40 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

You miss the point so often that you must be doing it deliberately.  I will make it simple, the main complaint about a national league is the travelling and expense thereof which has created debate about returning to regional leagues.  With me so far?

You are suggesting a national league in winter as an attractive proposition which means same travel, same expenses plus winter conditions.  Totally baffling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users