Assuming the World Cup makes money...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

What would be your priorities for spending the cash?

For me;
1. Cash for Tonga, PNG, Cooks, Samoa, Fiji etc to have regular internationals. This should be seed corn funding aimed at getting local sponsors and building crowds so that ongoing investment required is less in future

2. Meaningful European competition for Scotland Ireland Wales France and those countries that did not qualify but may have hopes for 2017 or 2021

3. Immediate marketing role to develop relationships from WC - new sponsors and spectators to keep on board and offer good deals to. Role for new competition in Europe to offer sponsorship opportunities

4. Seek potential partners in Scotland & Ireland for local Championship 1 sides and academies to develop depth of talent and credible future squads

5. Work with Sonics, UGAG and Bristol academy to develop RL in south west

6. Find a way to bring Worky & haven together to develop a shared academy and find partners to build stadium, fund development in Cumbria as a whole
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#2 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

Make sure that IRLF are the ones who organize and pays for this tournaments because if you hand out cash to local RL administration it will be like giving money to kids to buy candies.

#3 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

True, additional funding for rlif & rlef should help make both more effective
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#4 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

How much money do you think they could make?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#5 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

Given the £2m profit in 2000 that turned into a loss I'd rather not speculate but I think we can outline priorities IF the money comes through

#6 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

While I think this WC will make a profit, I don't think it will be massive. We have to remember that the broadcasting rights were not sold for mega-bucks and also that, while it is wonderful to see packed stadiums so far, most of it has been achieved by heavily discounting ticket prices and so the revenue will not be as big as you might think. I think the biggest success this WC can generate is not going to be in terms of immediate profit but in terms of raising awareness and "selling the product" for future capitalisation.

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

While I think this WC will make a profit, I don't think it will be massive. We have to remember that the broadcasting rights were not sold for mega-bucks and also that, while it is wonderful to see packed stadiums so far, most of it has been achieved by heavily discounting ticket prices and so the revenue will not be as big as you might think. I think the biggest success this WC can generate is not going to be in terms of immediate profit but in terms of raising awareness and "selling the product" for future capitalisation.

Ticket sales being as good as they are, I think it will make money. Not a massive amount, but the countries where Rugby League needs nurturing can be helped a lot by a relatively small outlay. Putting funds aside to partially subsidise travel for the Pacific Island teams would make the Pacific Cup much more viable, for instance.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

Ticket sales being as good as they are, I think it will make money. Not a massive amount, but the countries where Rugby League needs nurturing can be helped a lot by a relatively small outlay. Putting funds aside to partially subsidise travel for the Pacific Island teams would make the Pacific Cup much more viable, for instance.

Like I said, I think it will make a profit, which is always good. But I think anyone who is expecting a massive profit from this RLWC is being over-optimistic. Ticket sales are high in volume (which is of course great), but the revenue from them will not be massive (e.g. Sunday's game at Workington is £7.50 for adults and £2.50 for concessions). I'd happily settle for a modest profit and a greatly enhanced profile from this RLWC.

#9 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

I heard some talk following the RLIF meeting that they were going to use some of the cash to set up a permanent office and a Chief Executive. This would be a step forward, assuming said person (and the organisation) can get the NRL, SL etc to buy into it.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#10 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

Like I said, I think it will make a profit, which is always good. But I think anyone who is expecting a massive profit from this RLWC is being over-optimistic. Ticket sales are high in volume (which is of course great), but the revenue from them will not be massive (e.g. Sunday's game at Workington is £7.50 for adults and £2.50 for concessions). I'd happily settle for a modest profit and a greatly enhanced profile from this RLWC.

Absolutely.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,541 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

Whatever profit it may make, if any, will be far outweighed by the good generated by the tournament (assuming it keeps this up)

#12 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

this world cup is expected to make between £10-15million profit

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#13 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

I heard some talk following the RLIF meeting that they were going to use some of the cash to set up a permanent office and a Chief Executive. This would be a step forward, assuming said person (and the organisation) can get the NRL, SL etc to buy into it.

I hope that is right... The RLIF should be allowed to grow into the Governing Body for the WHOLE game; they set the rules, develop the international competition etc etc but also be independent of the various leagues around the world. I just hope the NRL and SL clubs realise that internationals are fundamentally important to the future of the whole game.

P.S. Dubai, Adu Dhabi or Qatar would be a PERFECT location... might even tap into some of that oil money if they played their cards right!

Edited by GeordieSaint, 31 October 2013 - 12:03 PM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#14 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Let's hope so!

I would invest a heavy chunk of it into the USA and Canada, they have a ready made audience that loves sport as well as a healthy rivalry. Pay for 2 full time commercial people and 2 full time development people and a load of kids camps.

Also give some to PNG to get them up to scratch and add a 5th competitive country to the list.

#15 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 614 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

Strengthen the European hierarchy of competition, especially with regard to these acting as qualifiers for the next WC, and possibly to Four Nations etc.

#16 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

At the moment I still consider Rugby League to be six nations: Australia, New Zealand, England, France, Papua New Guinea and Wales. For me the other nations are not where I would consider rugby league to have a "proper professional presence".

This may be because of over-use of heritage players, lack of a professional club, too few amateur clubs, lack of regular internationals, too few fans etc etc.

The first question is: is it possible to get Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and the Cook Islands into that group? What is stopping them? Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and Cook Islands are fantastic on the pitch, but what about off it?

* Lack of regular international matches

* NRL-based teams that seem to be constructed for a major tournament but then disband after it

* Lack of a strong amateur presence in the countries

* Players treating these nations as second fiddle to Aus/NZ

* No real fanbase for the international team

* Lack of good stadia in respective countrys

* No media coverage in UK/Oz of Pacific Island international matches (no TV contracts)

Of course we could be trying to do something that is impossible because the populations of these nations are just so small... there simply isn't the people/sponsors/money available to put say Tonga next to England or even France/Wales.

Secondly then I would focus on Wales, Papua New Guinea and France with the aim to get them up to Australia/Kiwi/England standard. This requires better links with these nations and Super League/NRL.

* More amateur teams in all three countries

* Professional academies for each nation

* Perhaps (yes, perhaps!) a second French SL team

* Even more Lancashire Super League involvement in North and South Wales.

* More help for PNG from the NRL and ARL and Queensland RL

* Enhance links between RL and local authorities/governments/sponsors/media particularly in France

If number one can be achieved then in 2017 we could be looking at nine "legitimate nations": Australia, New Zealand, England, PNG, France, Wales, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa.

If number two gets done then in 2017 we could be seeing six teams that could actually challenge for the World Cup (the six mentioned in first sentence). This would dispel the biggest problem Rugby League has with the international game: only three teams can win the WC and nobody can beat those three teams!!

Once it goes from three to six (or five), then the floodgates will open, and Rugby League will rule the world.

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

Give it to the NRL, poor lambs.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

Spend the money on the people who made the money and who can continue to make the money. Make sure Sally and co get effective control over the wider international game - coordinating fixtures, sponsors, the whole kit and kaboodle. If we develop a proper infrastructure with clear communications, proper authority and the ability to market the international game across the board, then the rest will follow. Every penny should go on that infra.

#19 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

I'm sorry but that is just nonsense. It'll be doing well to have a revenue figure of £15m never mind a profit of that much.

#20 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'm sorry but that is just nonsense. It'll be doing well to have a revenue figure of £15m never mind a profit of that much.

You say that, but RS is also responsible for some of the otlandish predictions of booming crowd numbers, which happen to have come true.

In any event, they only need to make enough to allow the organisers to continue doing what they're doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users