Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BBC Head of Sport

BBC World Cup

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,732 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Later this morning, at around 11.00am, I'm due to speak to Barbara Slater, the BBC Head of Sport, about the BBC's coverage of Rugby League.

If anyone has any pressing issues they would like me to put to her, that I may not have thought of, feel free to set them out here.

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

I think in the main the biggest back slap will be the coverage and advertisement so far, it's been up to standard (although missing the opening ceremony was a bit of a bummer)

The main suggestion you'd probably get is to do with the time slot for RLWC highlights and Super League Show.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

I think in the main the biggest back slap will be the coverage and advertisement so far, it's been up to standard (although missing the opening ceremony was a bit of a bummer)

The main suggestion you'd probably get is to do with the time slot for RLWC highlights and Super League Show.

Not just the time slot for the Super League Show, but will they now be showing it nationwide and can it be a bit longer

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#4 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

Been a bit disappointed with the local coverage here in the North West considering we have towns playing host to some of the visiting teams and we have staged three matches this week in the area, though that is probably out of her hands. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#5 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

AM glad most games are not on BBC  I think attendances have been better for it. But would have been a good idea for an highlights show and possibly a 15 minutes slot on news channel may be as rugby world cup daily up date.

Chief Crazy Eagle

#6 Fatbob

Fatbob
  • Coach
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

Have the BBC got an option to show more rlwc games? In particular more 1/4 finals and both semis?

#7 Tsunami

Tsunami
  • Coach
  • 203 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

I would ask why they are not showing all the matches or at least the games featuring the home nations.
Surf's up!

#8 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

You've obviously thought of this but can I just reinforce the sentiment that a decent highlights show two or even three times a week is essential.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#9 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

Maybe you could as her about this: http://www.totalrl.c...rage/?p=2822648 and why some of the BBC staff fell obliged to denigrate rugby league.

Edited by Griff9of13, 31 October 2013 - 10:10 AM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#10 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

Not RLWC related but

"Given that BBC Sport is now based in Salford, what opportunity is there for BBC staff to run a media workshop for club officials?"

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#11 FlattenedbyWard

FlattenedbyWard
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

The coverage they have done thus far on the RLWC has been good, but they needed a Mid Week Highlights show to cover the games like NZ-Samoa, Fiji- Ireland, Scotland- Tonga.....each game could have easily had 20mins highlights.

More News24 Sportsdesk coverage too.

And yes all the Qtr Final games should be shown on Terrestial TV in Full.

#12 Auntie Linzi Morris

Auntie Linzi Morris
  • Coach
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

If Samoa face Fiji in the quarter-final, can she please try and find a way of broadcasting it live!!!

I'm loving the tournament, I just wish more non-RL sports fans were being exposed to it.

NZ vs Samoa was fantastic viewing and I think the above quarter-final, if qualifying pans out as I think it might, could be the match of the tournament.

#13 danjambowman

danjambowman
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

World cup - I'd like better use of the iplayer.. be nice to have extended highlights of each match available after the weekly highlights programme. Also, there is so much great tv material that could be used to publicise the tournament, I'd like to see 2 minute world cup bulletins in primetime to keep casual followers up-to-date and remind them when the big matches are taking place.

I'd like to see the super League show shown at a reasonable time down in the south. I'm in windsor. I think this is an old issue though.

Thanks for your efforts!

#14 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

With RLWC games proving very successful in so called non-traditional areas will the BBC look at showing the Superleague show nationwide in the future as there is clearly a desire to see the game. Also ask her if the BBC would ever consider showing extended highlights (or the enire match) of a Friday night SL game either late on Friday night or a Saturday morning.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

I've exchanged (positive) emails with Barbara Slater in the past so she is certainly communicative. See her background and sporting credentials here: http://en.wikipedia....ports_producer)

However, I think it always pays to keep in mind the BBC motto: We are the BCC so we are never wrong.

1.  I certainly think that the attention the BBC has paid to the World Cup is the by far the most impressive we've ever had. Does she know if this has been reflected in the viewing figures and if so, to what extent is that an encouragement for the BBC to enhance is RL coverage  post-World Cup.

2.  The (in) famous quote from Pat Younge: "Rugby league has sold its soul to Sky, and it has to live with that" still causes great offence, see http://news.bbc.co.u...and/1849704.stm

What assurances can she give that rugby league is not suffering from discrimination in this way?

#16 The Dude

The Dude
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

Few things around RLWC:

• Preferably a daily highlights programme.
  • Highlights seem to be restricted to the pre match dance/tries/conversions, we want to see some of the big hits and the build up to tries.  With a weekly highlights show they wont even have time to show all the tries and have time for any analysis.
  • Can we have more features on the players involved.  There is lots of stuff around the history but not enough in terms of helping the viewers to understand who the players are.   During RU world cup almost nightly features on teams/individuals. 

Super League Coverage:

• A weekly podcast similar to the daily RLWC would be nice.
  • Features on the players.
  • More comment and analysis on website - we only seem to get match reports and the occasional piece from George Riley. 

Edited by The Dude, 31 October 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#17 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

Not covering the opening ceremony. Yeah, there was a GP qualifying, but was there really no way round that???

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#18 Six to Go

Six to Go
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

Ask her to watch NZ v Samoa and listen to the commentary team describing what happened and importantly what was going to happen and tell her that is the bar BBC need to aspire to.

#19 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

World cup - I'd like better use of the iplayer.. be nice to have extended highlights of each match available after the weekly highlights programme. Also, there is so much great tv material that could be used to publicise the tournament, I'd like to see 2 minute world cup bulletins in primetime to keep casual followers up-to-date and remind them when the big matches are taking place.
I
I'd like to see the super League show shown at a reasonable time down in the south. I'm in windsor. I think this is an old issue though.

Thanks for your efforts!

This, a combination of most games NOT being on the BBC but highlights of all being available on red button or I-player seems like a winner. They are less likely to shift their schedules to show a midweek highlights show, but opening with this and accepting (reluctantly) a package on red button, website & I-player would be a good negotiating position for Sally or IMG
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Who would win in a fight between a shark and a lion?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users