TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

BBC Head of Sport

BBC World Cup

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Just to add, if all games were live on terrestrial then gates would be way lower than they are imho
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#22 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Make the Super League Show more like MOTD and not give away the result before the match has started. Proper commentary would also be nice rather than a report with a video in the background.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#23 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Just to add, if all games were live on terrestrial then gates would be way lower than they are imho

Agree totally.

And a more frequent highlights programme would probably turn a few more heads to the games.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#24 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Agree totally.

And a more frequent highlights programme would probably turn a few more heads to the games.

I think a good red button/ I-player package is as important given the way tv is now consumed.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,501 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

Coverage of England games; very good.

Highlights? Could do better. Is once a week really enough? Even a midweek round up would be better.

#26 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Same for me the lack of a nightly highlights package.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#27 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

Who would win in a fight between a shark and a lion?

You want coverage of Cronulla vs Swinton?
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#28 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

AM glad most games are not on BBC  I think attendances have been better for it. But would have been a good idea for an highlights show and possibly a 15 minutes slot on news channel may be as rugby world cup daily up date.

Agreed. In fact I would rather see a 15-30 min highlights show every day around 10-10:30pm covering the previous day's game(s), even if that means not having a highlights package ready of the game having just taken place that evening.

#29 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

I am a bit disappointed that there isn't a highlights programme on every night - a world cup definitely warrants it. Compare it to the world darts where the BBC finds time not only for a highlights programme but also shows extended repeat coverage late night.

#30 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Have the BBC got an option to show more rlwc games? In particular more 1/4 finals and both semis?

It would be appropriate now - with the undisputed success of the tournament so far - that the BBC exercise their right to show all the other games which are not exclusive to Premier Sports (beyond just the England ones they are most likely to cover anyway).

#31 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

You want coverage of Cronulla vs Swinton?

I hear Swinton 'A' are off to Oz for pre-season, so it could happen.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#32 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

Who would win in a fight between a shark and a lion?

Maaaascot fight....

Personally I think mascot fights should be compulsory halftime entertainment. Then at the Grand Final a massive last mascot standing fight between all 14 teams big headed totems. Think of the possibilities.

Ask her if the BBC would televise Mascot Fight.

#33 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

more games added now even if using the red button or BBC3/4

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#34 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

Later this morning, at around 11.00am, I'm due to speak to Barbara Slater, the BBC Head of Sport, about the BBC's coverage of Rugby League.

If anyone has any pressing issues they would like me to put to her, that I may not have thought of, feel free to set them out here.

its now 11.40. How'd it go? 

#35 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

Bull Boy elbow dropped him and won by pulling off a classic half nelson.

#36 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

Give him half a chance to finish off, trascribe notes and work out what's appropriate to divuldge at this stage. :)

#37 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,959 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

The BBC are doing a wonderful job for Rugby League, and that's official!

Telephone interviews with BBC officials are of limited use, I must say, with a minder listening to what her boss has to say and chivvying you along in your allotted time. I can't imagine needing a minder myself.

Barbara was very keen to promote the idea that the BBC is doing a great deal for Rugby League fans over the various platforms, which is certainly true, by and large, if you are prepared to search for them.

I was more anxious to explore why the BBC was only covering England of the Home Nations with its live coverage, other than last Saturday's Wales game, and whether she thought with hindsight that the contract could have been extended to include more games of Scotland and Wales in particular and more quarter-finals. But she didn't seem keen to talk about that.

I also asked her about the move to Salford and its impact on BBC staff generally in relation to their attitude to Rugby League, but they used to love the game even when they were based in London.

She was rather too defensive about the BBC's coverage, which was unnecessary when speaking to me. I would much rather sit down with her and speak face to face to have a genuine conversation. I'm sure there is a very good interview waiting to be done with her.

#38 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,882 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

Give him half a chance to finish off, trascribe notes and work out what's appropriate to divuldge at this stage. :)

He's had 39 minutes! ;) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#39 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

The BBC are doing a wonderful job for Rugby League, and that's official!

Telephone interviews with BBC officials are of limited use, I must say, with a minder listening to what her boss has to say and chivvying you along in your allotted time. I can't imagine needing a minder myself.

Barbara was very keen to promote the idea that the BBC is doing a great deal for Rugby League fans over the various platforms, which is certainly true, by and large, if you are prepared to search for them.

I was more anxious to explore why the BBC was only covering England of the Home Nations with its live coverage, other than last Saturday's Wales game, and whether she thought with hindsight that the contract could have been extended to include more games of Scotland and Wales in particular and more quarter-finals. But she didn't seem keen to talk about that.

I also asked her about the move to Salford and its impact on BBC staff generally in relation to their attitude to Rugby League, but they used to love the game even when they were based in London.

She was rather too defensive about the BBC's coverage, which was unnecessary when speaking to me. I would much rather sit down with her and speak face to face to have a genuine conversation. I'm sure there is a very good interview waiting to be done with her.

Wrong answer - though a good one.

You should maybe have said,"You'll have to buy League Express and Rugby League World to find out!"   :yes:

#40 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

I guess with issues of TV licencing hitting the news and amount of executive pay and wasted monies causing the BBC some bad publicity not least getting a fair bashing in the select committees recently it was her opportunity to do her bit to persuade that the BBC sport was doing a good job, worthwhile use of licence fee and looking for positive PR.

It would appear from the resultant outcome she achieved that. The BBC are in a very defensive position at the moment and looking at very avenue of convincing people that every department is worthy of licence fee for public broadcasting and desperate to paint the positive picture.  They executives are feeling very vulnerable and the current time-period is the best time to influence them to improve coverage of "minority sports" and not just the big ratings sports.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users