• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

Maaaascot fight....

Personally I think mascot fights should be compulsory halftime entertainment. Then at the Grand Final a massive last mascot standing fight between all 14 teams big headed totems. Think of the possibilities.

Ask her if the BBC would televise Mascot Fight.

I'd watch that!

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#42 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Who would win in a fight between a shark and a lion?

Depends on the venue.

#43 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Depends on the venue.

Odsal. I ain't travelling far. Pfft.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#44 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Who would win in a fight between a shark and a lion?

The Tiger Shark

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#45 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

If the BBC cant treat the game with the respect and coverage needed may be we should look at channels 4 and 5 as possible  replacements.

Chief Crazy Eagle

#46 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,150 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

They are hardly popular channels, though.

#47 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

Have faith in our product.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#48 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

Agreed but they are free to everyone.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#49 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,150 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

More games on free-to-air generally result in lower paying attendances, in my opinion.

#50 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 900 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

They get better overall viewing figures than Sky channels, including Sky Sport....  Miles more...

#51 wirecab

wirecab
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

Attached File  Wolfie clobbers Ronnie.jpg   22.53KB   0 downloads

Mascot Wars- brilliant idea- just don't let Sky make it pay per view. Worth at least 0.3pence on my licence fee!

#52 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,150 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

They get better overall viewing figures than Sky channels, including Sky Sport....  Miles more...

they do not inject anywhere near the money into the game. The Sky deal is something like £90 million over five years, I think.  Put regular games on free to air and paid attendances will plummet as fans watch at home for nothing...liek they do when cup games are on BBC. 

Anyway, C4 is hardly pulling them in for their flagship sports such as Royal Ascot

Friday's peak viewing figure of 900,000 – versus 1.7m for the same day on the BBC last year – seems particularly poor.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/jun/23/royal-ascot-tv-channel-4

Edited by JohnM, 31 October 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#53 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,122 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

they do not inject anywhere near the money into the game. The Sky deal is something like £90 million over five years, I think.  Put regular games on free to air and paid attendances will plummet as fans watch at home for nothing...liek they do when cup games are on BBC. 

Anyway, C4 is hardly pulling them in for their flagship sports such as Royal Ascot

Friday's peak viewing figure of 900,000 – versus 1.7m for the same day on the BBC last year – seems particularly poor.

Those that are interested in Royal Ascot won't know that channels other than the BBC exist.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#54 Jeffles

Jeffles
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

I wish I'd seen this earlier. 

Fear of plummeting attendances is what delayed live coverage of RL games in Australia during the late 1950s when TV first came here. In hindsight, it appears TV coverage glamourised the product, opened it up to newer audiences and increased the popularity of the game before subscription TV came here in the late 1990s. But no Free TV channel can compete with the pockets of Sky. As someone above said, an extended highlights show on Free TV complemented by exclusive match broadcasts would be the preferred model if BBC or ITV or 4 or 5 cannot beat Sky's money.

I look forward to reading the article, Martyn.

No surprises that BBC broadcaster was defensive. They would be well aware of the gripes of RL fans.

I don't mind that BBC personalities sometimes put the boot in. That's an unfortunate side effect of having pluralistic views in the media which I value a great deal.

The big issue RL is treated shabbily for a product with the audiences it commands. The biggest examples are the SL Show timeslot and its near absence in sports bulletins bulletins. And why does a domestic RU match or a county cricket game with fewer attendees and TV viewers command a more prominent position in news bulletins and/or websites? Sure we're not soccer, but Saturday afternoon's results shows the interest is there and that the BBC is could be accused of being out of touch. But she would've hated that!

#55 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

Why is there no highlights programme ?

#56 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

Barbara was very keen to promote the idea that the BBC is doing a great deal for Rugby League fans over the various platforms, which is certainly true, by and large, if you are prepared to search for them.

Sounds like the call was set up purely to gain some quotes from people in the sport to highlight the quality of the BBC's service. With that agenda pre-determined by the Beeb, discussions on any other subject were never going to be covered.

Edited by Banbury Wolf, 31 October 2013 - 11:25 PM.

#57 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,122 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

The BBC are doing a wonderful job for Rugby League, and that's official!

Telephone interviews with BBC officials are of limited use, I must say, with a minder listening to what her boss has to say and chivvying you along in your allotted time. I can't imagine needing a minder myself.

Barbara was very keen to promote the idea that the BBC is doing a great deal for Rugby League fans over the various platforms, which is certainly true, by and large, if you are prepared to search for them.

I was more anxious to explore why the BBC was only covering England of the Home Nations with its live coverage, other than last Saturday's Wales game, and whether she thought with hindsight that the contract could have been extended to include more games of Scotland and Wales in particular and more quarter-finals. But she didn't seem keen to talk about that.

I also asked her about the move to Salford and its impact on BBC staff generally in relation to their attitude to Rugby League, but they used to love the game even when they were based in London.

She was rather too defensive about the BBC's coverage, which was unnecessary when speaking to me. I would much rather sit down with her and speak face to face to have a genuine conversation. I'm sure there is a very good interview waiting to be done with her.

So you interviewed the PR department, mouthpieced by some corporate who hasn't a clue.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#58 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:06 AM

Just to add, if all games were live on terrestrial then gates would be way lower than they are imho

Very true....

There is nothing increases demand like lack of avaliability.

In 2000 sky and bbc  went into overkill coverage.

Result was empty stadia and it and nearly bankrupted the RL.

Edited by alan30058, 01 November 2013 - 01:17 AM.

#59 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

That's a different point, I was responding to the point made that they don't have many watching the channel, not whether it was a good deal or valuable deal   BBC are normally top of the viewers figures but channel 4 are normally around the 4th with 5% of the viewing public with channel 5 5th at 4% ish... behind BBC, BBC2 and ITV in that order.

As to whether they would be interested or how much could be agreed is a completely different matter.   No doubts SKY provides essential income but it isn't a super viewing channel in general.

http://www.barb.co.uk

Edited by redjonn, 01 November 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#60 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

Why don't Championship clubs ever get a mention on Look North? Even the big local derbies don't get a look in! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users