League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

It's Halloween - Your Scariest Player Ever Is..?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

Jack Fairbank

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#22 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:21 AM

Malcolm Reilly

#23 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:52 AM

Frank Foster

#24 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

Tony Fisher ... hard as nails
Mike Nicholas ... ditto and looking for a scrap non stop

Willie Mason ... you never knew whether he had the sense when to start and when to stop

You weren't even safe on the same team as Mike Nicholas. He once started a fight with Warrington winger Dennis Curling during one match at Wilderspool. I think that Curling went up in everybody's estimation that day as he gave back as good as he got.

#25 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

Rathbone was a very scary man, but have a vivid memory of him king hitting Ray Price of Australia on the 82 tour, Ray Price just turned and smiled at him.  That was scary.

Ray Price was a bit nuts and as hard as nails and the best Lock of his era.

Edited by boxhead, 01 November 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#26 Six to Go

Six to Go
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

Roy Haggerty

#27 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

Tawera Nikau - when he lost the plot (which he did now and again) he looked absolutely terrifying.

#28 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Two spring to mind for very different reasons, does anyone remember the 1985 Kiwi tour here and the hooker they played in the 3rd test - drawn at Headingley - his name was Wayne Wallace the original "baby faced assassin" before Brendan Tuuta, he tried to remodel the facial features of every GB player that day.

The other player was the "scariest" tackler I have ever seen and every thing legal that is Denis Boyd most notably of Wigan and Leigh amongst other clubs, for his trademark tackle he would run directly at a player coming forward and take off from about 5 meter's away, flying through the air horizontal resulting in almighty collisions, how he never maimed anyone for life I will never know, although many had to leave the field and not return.  

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#29 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

Stan Owen

Yeah he was handy. When he was at Hornets with Johnny Noon, the young Kevin Ashcroft and a few others they had to call off the traditional pre-season Law Cup " friendly " with Oldham because too many players were getting injured.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 01 November 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#30 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

Bruce "Bruiser" Clarke!

#31 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

Frank Foster was a rough handful as was Alan Hodkinson. I would never say the game is soft today, that would be crazy, but we don't seem to have that sort of player these days. The ones I've mentioned were all forwards, maybe it's because we don't have contested scrums anymore.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 01 November 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#32 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,534 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

Roy Haggerty

Indeed.

Just as scary off the pitch as on it. He used to turn up at the Pilks club some Saturdays for a drink. Everyone used to give him as wide a birth as possible.  :blackeye:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#33 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Two spring to mind for very different reasons, does anyone remember the 1985 Kiwi tour here and the hooker they played in the 3rd test - drawn at Headingley - his name was Wayne Wallace the original "baby faced assassin" before Brendan Tuuta, he tried to remodel the facial features of every GB player that day.

The other player was the "scariest" tackler I have ever seen and every thing legal that is Denis Boyd most notably of Wigan and Leigh amongst other clubs, for his trademark tackle he would run directly at a player coming forward and take off from about 5 meter's away, flying through the air horizontal resulting in almighty collisions, how he never maimed anyone for life I will never know, although many had to leave the field and not return.  

You may be right but I think Sir Les Boyd was nicknamed the "Baby Faced Assassin"  by the late Rugby League writer Peter Frilingos back in Boyds playing days 1976-82 in Australia before moving to Warrington.

#34 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Stan Owen

Yeah he was handy. When he was at Hornets with Johnny Noon, the young Kevin Ashcroft and a few others they had to call off the traditional pre-season Law Cup " friendly " with Oldham because too many players were getting injured.

Frank Foster was a rough handful as was Alan Hodkinson. I would never say the game is soft today, that would be crazy, but we don't seem to have that sort of player these days. The ones I've mentioned were forwards, maybe it's because we don't have contested scrums anymore.

Tyrone, just reminded me that Rochdale had the lure of Leigh lads as did Oldham must be something in the water over there, I know that Stan is a Welshman but Leigh is his adopted home and has been for over 60 years, he is in his 80's now coming to Leigh as a 20 year old in 1952.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#35 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

You may be right but I think Sir Les Boyd was nicknamed the "Baby Faced Assassin"  by the late Rugby League writer Peter Frilingos back in Boyds playing days 1976-82 in Australia before moving to Warrington.

Boxy, If that is the case I stand corrected, thanks for the info.

#36 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

There was a prop played for Wigan when they were in the 2nd Division called Steve Breheny (or something similar). He was a nutcase, his sole aim on the field seemed to be to hurt as many opposition players as possible via illegal means, though he often injured himself in the process. He had no regard for anyone's well-being including his own.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#37 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

There was a prop played for Wigan when they were in the 2nd Division called Steve Breheny (or something similar). He was a nutcase, his sole aim on the field seemed to be to hurt as many opposition players as possible via illegal means, though he often injured himself in the process. He had no regard for anyone's well-being including his own.

Sounds like Rambo Ronnie Gibbs

#38 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

I remember Danny Evans of Fev once commenting 'tha dunt mess with Montey' in reference to betham when he was at wakey.

#39 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

I remember Danny Evans of Fev once commenting 'tha dunt mess with Montey' in reference to betham when he was at wakey.

Betham was a decent Martial arts exponent at a young age, he moved into a boxing career after he left Rugby League.

#40 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

In recent times it has to be David Ferriol. Never looks like he is interested in small talk just big hits and biff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users