RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

It's Halloween - Your Scariest Player Ever Is..?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

Frank Foster

Very scary guy. As rumour goes the board at Barrow had a meeting and agreed to sack him as coach, only problem was no one was brave enough to tell him so 3 years latter he was still the coach!

#42 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

Les Boyd or Brendan Tuuta would be the obvious choices except thet both looked and sounded like choir boys, which I suppose does enhance their scariness credentials. I'll however take a different tack and go with a scary Halloween mask theme and plump for either Noel Cleal or Eric Grothe Sr.

I also found Michael "three knees" Hancock sort of scary in that he was never actually tackled until he was on his back and buried under a hill of backrowers.

I'll bet they'll have to draft in extra undertakers to shove him into his coffin!

#43 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

The other player was the "scariest" tackler I have ever seen and every thing legal that is Denis Boyd most notably of Wigan and Leigh amongst other clubs, for his trademark tackle he would run directly at a player coming forward and take off from about 5 meter's away, flying through the air horizontal resulting in almighty collisions, how he never maimed anyone for life I will never know, although many had to leave the field and not return.  

He called those tackles his "rib ticklers". Hard as nails.

I'd like to add Bob Blackwood. Six feet of barely repressed anger. Even his own fans booed him.

#44 koli

koli
  • Coach
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

For those old enought to rembember - Jonty Pilkington.he played for Saints in the 40s. The sight of him coming out of The Bird I'th Hand in the mid 60s was enough to scare the life out of me as a young boy!

#45 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

Self harmers aren't just found in the teenage girl cohort..... They can also be rugby league players and they can be terrifying as they throw themselves at others while relishing their own pain and torment. I know people who have nursed a few on psychiatric wards. Very scary on the field.

#46 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

I only like to mention players I have seen in my time but I am surprised no one has mentioned......

Vince Karalius

#47 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

cliff watson. would tackle a barn door....hard as nails as well.

someone mentioned steve breheny, he ended up as british wrestling champion and is a good friend of mine.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#48 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

I have first hand evidence of this as he smashed my nose across my face with a high shot when he was playing for Donny

Serves you right for going on to the pitch with yuor nose on. I always leave mine in the vallies bag with my wallet,or tape it up like Andy Farell did when he lost his nose.

Karl Fairbank

Edited by scrape_goose, 01 November 2013 - 11:39 AM.

• Wolford6 likes this

#49 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'd like to add Bob Blackwood. Six feet of barely repressed anger. Even his own fans booed him.

Ah, good old "Spanner" Blackwood, now there was a no nonsense kind of fellow. Hit first and ask questions later.

Edited by Derwent, 01 November 2013 - 01:18 PM.

Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#50 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

Tyrone, just reminded me that Rochdale had the lure of Leigh lads as did Oldham must be something in the water over there, I know that Stan is a Welshman but Leigh is his adopted home and has been for over 60 years, he is in his 80's now coming to Leigh as a 20 year old in 1952.

Yeah, Stan was playing prop in my first game of Rugby League in 1966. His legs had gone by then but he was still a very clever player with the ball in hand. Our pack then had a bad reputation, as I said we had Stan, Kevin Ashcroft, Johnny Noon, Ken Parr, Jim Parr and the late, great Apisai Toga ( left us to play for St George when they were Australia's team ). A real set of rough handfuls. Toga was probably the guy you'd want to tackle the least, he was a huge guy but very fast and he ran with his knees coming up high. I remember a much smaller guy trying to tackle him in full flight, his knee came up right under the small guy's chin, sparked him out completely ! I was new to the game then and I honestly thought he was dead.

#51 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Players
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

For a different reason danny brough, his face reminds me of the hunch back of notre dame

#52 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

Without a doubt jimmy pickering on the field(real gent off it). The pasting he gave to players was quite frightening sometimes. Never once seen him come 2nd in a fight.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#53 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

When I played prop as an amateur over 30 years ago, the only guy that ever frightened me was the late Brian Kettleton. Packing down in the scrums and being threatened with having your ear bitten off and then your head (in that order, I think) by a 6ft 5in 19 stone bear (when you're only 14st) would tend to put the wind up most people. A few years ago, I was chatting in the pub to an ex pro forward, who also admitted that the only guy who ever feared him was the same Kettleton. As you can imagine, that made me feel a whole lot better.

#54 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

Len Casey

#55 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

For a different reason danny brough, his face reminds me of the hunch back of notre dame

More like sloth from the film goonies, "hey you guys!"

#56 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

Brad Hepi - "you've just been Hepi-ed".

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#57 Superdude

Superdude
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

Yeah he was handy. When he was at Hornets with Johnny Noon, the young Kevin Ashcroft and a few others they had to call off the traditional pre-season Law Cup " friendly " with Oldham because too many players were getting injured.

Jonny Noon gets my vote. 

#58 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

kelvin skerret allways seems to pop up on youtube RL fights, dont know weather he was scary though or just a trouble maker, ala gareth hock.?

#59 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

When I played prop as an amateur over 30 years ago, the only guy that ever frightened me was the late Brian Kettleton. Packing down in the scrums and being threatened with having your ear bitten off and then your head (in that order, I think) by a 6ft 5in 19 stone bear (when you're only 14st) would tend to put the wind up most people. A few years ago, I was chatting in the pub to an ex pro forward, who also admitted that the only guy who ever feared him was the same Kettleton. As you can imagine, that made me feel a whole lot better.

Yeah Kett used to go in my local, you never really knew how to take him. It was safer just to smile and move out of his way.

#60 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

Brad Hepi - "you've just been Hepi-ed".

Nice guy Brad is. Talk to him often at All Golds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users