Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

http://runningrugby....-is-a-sell-out/

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#2 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

Can't access the site, but am guessing it's about Judas Joel.

#3 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Can't access the site, but am guessing it's about Judas Joel.

No, its about the fact that the Original Rugby World Cup has sold out all their sponsorship packages available.

Edited by Padge, 31 October 2013 - 08:16 PM.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#4 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

I love good news as much as the next man, but how can there be a limited number of sponsorship packages? Surely we'd accept as many as wanted to spend their money on us?

#5 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

I love good news as much as the next man, but how can there be a limited number of sponsorship packages? Surely we'd accept as many as wanted to spend their money on us?

I presume there is a limited amount of advertising space available and you reach a point when there is no space left people cease to be interested. Its no good being a sponsor if you're relying on the off chance that a commentator at the game mentions your brand at random.

Edited by Padge, 31 October 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#6 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

Quite.

So if McDonalds want to get on board tomorrow with half a million for the rest of the tourney, we can send 'em packing cos there'll be no room for them, so hard cheeseburger.

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

Quite.

So if McDonalds want to get on board tomorrow with half a million for the rest of the tourney, we can send 'em packing cos there'll be no room for them, so hard cheeseburger.

Where exactly would they advertise?

If all the ground space, program space, TV & Radio slots, shirt patches, catering franchises etc. etc. are sold what can you offer them.

#8 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

If all the ground space, program space, TV & Radio slots, shirt patches, catering franchises etc. etc. are sold what can you offer them.

I understand the practicalities of what you're saying, and at the same time, the improbability of my suggestion, but you have to wonder if some imaginative source of money came in at this late stage "Hey RLWC we'd love to be the tourney's official chocoalte biscuit and here's 50K" would they be knocked back? RLWC putting up the 'sold out' sign depends entirely on how many packages they've offered, which tbh as EW suggets, is almost limitless.

#9 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

A high vis jacket worn by NW :ph34r:

#10 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

This is getting surreal.

The organisers will have worked out what they can offer to sponsors in the way of advertising space they have through all outlets. They have now sold all that space to sponsors.

Its another good news story FFS. 

Only on this game could it be turned on its head into being "they could do better" story.

I really do despair about how this game survives with its worst enemies being those that 'supposedly' love it.

#11 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

This is getting surreal.

The organisers will have worked out what they can offer to sponsors in the way of advertising space they have through all outlets. They have now sold all that space to sponsors.

Its another good news story FFS. 

Only on this game could it be turned on its head into being "they could do better" story.

I really do despair about how this game survives with its worst enemies being those that 'supposedly' love it.

Read what you want. Nobody has written 'could do better' or anything like it. But if you want to rant about negativity (sooooo yesterday on TRL) then go for it!

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

Read what you want. Nobody has written 'could do better' or anything like it. But if you want to rant about negativity (sooooo yesterday on TRL) then go for it!

Maybe you would have preferred a press release from Sally Bolton saying "Sponsors still wanted no advertising space available"

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Maybe you would have preferred a press release from Sally Bolton saying "Sponsors still wanted no advertising space available"

If it was true, why not? It'd hardly be in a press release though. She'd still be working behind the scenes, which she may well be.

It's been pointed out how it could put a come-lately company off getting in touch, and I don't see the point of that, but whatever floats your boat.

RLWC 2013 looks great from my perspective so far. We'll have to wait and see how much brass it raises (the real nitty gritty. we were all here in 2000), and this press release makes no difference either way.

#14 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

If it was true, why not? It'd hardly be in a press release though. She'd still be working behind the scenes, which she may well be.

It's been pointed out how it could put a come-lately company off getting in touch, and I don't see the point of that, but whatever floats your boat.

RLWC 2013 looks great from my perspective so far. We'll have to wait and see how much brass it raises (the real nitty gritty. we were all here in 2000), and this press release makes no difference either way.

I despair. I really do.

#15 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

I despair. I really do.

:tongue: :tongue: Lighten up and enjoy the games. We can't all be smart enough to agree with everything you post.

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

Full press release available here.

http://www.superleag...-a-sellout.html

#17 Crunchers Dad

Crunchers Dad
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

If you look at this another way, as a put my Marketing hat on: this shows RL to be a vibrant, progressive company. How, by having some many sponsors on board , they should find it easy to attract the main title blue chip sponsor.
I should know, I work for one of the worlds largest companies in its field. If you are successful partners are not hard to find, as they will find you.

#18 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:06 AM

Quite.

"unless somebody comes to me and says ‘can we do this?’, there are no more announcements to come and it is now down to activating and servicing the sponsors because that is the long-term goal to get these sponsors hooked on rugby league.”

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#19 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

I asked my question out of curiosity but the more I look at it the more I can appreciate padge's and their point. I can see how you would put a limit on the number of sponsors you can look after properly.
Epic effort!

#20 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

Full press release available here.

http://www.superleag...-a-sellout.html

That's very good news.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users