League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Should an gridiron pass be introduced in rl.. Yes or no.. If no how come.

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

No, annoying person

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#42 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

no sames rules apply as when a cross field kick is deployed. infringement

So the attacking player would have to stay onside then.

#43 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

Surprised we haven't had "club x has been getting away with it for years". :ph34r:

Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#44 Toby Chopra

Toby Chopra
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

The biggest risk in introducing a forward pass is that Rugby League would essentially become American Football without the pads: tackles = downs,  hit-up = running play; back line move with forward pass = passing play, kick on final tackle = punt etc.

I'm a huge NFL fan but my interest in rugby league has been reignited in the run up to the World Cup - RL is  great sport that need very little tampering with and certainly needs to remain distinct from American Football. Just need to spread the gospel.

("Heartlanders" please note: I'm a born and bred southerner who like millions of other grew up watching Challenge Cup and GB games on Grandstand in the 80s. Never followed a club apart from watching a few Wigan games when I was a student in Manchester. But I know top level sport when I see it which is why a properly structured international game is the key for growing RL. Me and 8 other Londoners are going to Wembley for the WC semis - put on regular elite international sport and the crowds and TV ratings will come)    

#45 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

MULTIBALL

#46 telliner

telliner
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

So the attacking player would have to stay onside then.

yes,obviously requiring a receiver whos rapid over shorter distance,but also his prescence is enough to distract so can be used as decoy to stretch defence .thats why i think this option should incurr a forfiet if chosen because of the advantage for the attacking team so it brings in the gamble element bit more controversial than ' take drop goal or play out the set'.

#47 The Octave Doctor

The Octave Doctor
  • Coach
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Definitely no grid iron passes in the field of play - but I've long thought that a football style throw-in ( forward / backwards long / short whatever ) to replace the scrum for most ball out of play situations. Lot of variety in the restart then ( but def not a line-out!)

#48 telliner

telliner
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

The biggest risk in introducing a forward pass is that Rugby League would essentially become American Football without the pads: tackles = downs,  hit-up = running play; back line move with forward pass = passing play, kick on final tackle = punt etc.

I'm a huge NFL fan but my interest in rugby league has been reignited in the run up to the World Cup - RL is  great sport that need very little tampering with and certainly needs to remain distinct from American Football. Just need to spread the gospel.

("Heartlanders" please note: I'm a born and bred southerner who like millions of other grew up watching Challenge Cup and GB games on Grandstand in the 80s. Never followed a club apart from watching a few Wigan games when I was a student in Manchester. But I know top level sport when I see it which is why a properly structured international game is the key for growing RL. Me and 8 other Londoners are going to Wembley for the WC semis - put on regular elite international sport and the crowds and TV ratings will come)

no the quintessential thing here is it is an option its just like adding versatility to a cross feild kick other than that its a million miles from gridiron in terms of strategy rules objectives etc.

#49 Toby Chopra

Toby Chopra
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

no the quintessential thing here is it is an option its just like adding versatility to a cross feild kick other than that its a million miles from gridiron in terms of strategy rules objectives etc.

I'll be honest with you, even though I'm English I know more in depth about AF than RL so maybe I'm missing something, but I kind of thought one of the strengths of RL is its simplicity, rather than all the complicated wasting of time that goes on in RU. RL seem to me a game of territory, and knowing the right time to take a chance on a more expansive play that may open things up, and when to keep it tight and pin the other team back. That's exactly what American football is too. Obviously it's not a straight read across, there no blocking in RL and the plays are more scripted in AF, but if you read about AF before they introduced the forward pass, when they wore almost no pads or proper helmets, and ran the ball every play, it looks quite familiar.

All of which of course is why RL could really break America much more easily than RU if it gets its act together. It's much easier for an American player to get up and running with RL rules and tactics and much easier for an American spectator to understand it - I've been watching RU all my life (and played it at school) and I still don't understand half the rucking and mauling rules.

#50 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

yes,obviously requiring a receiver whos rapid over shorter distance,but also his prescence is enough to distract so can be used as decoy to stretch defence .thats why i think this option should incurr a forfiet if chosen because of the advantage for the attacking team so it brings in the gamble element bit more controversial than ' take drop goal or play out the set'.

So why can't you just kick it to him.

#51 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Ive been thinking bout this for yearz.. And thought if rugby league introduce such a pass.. It would evalutionize rugby with 3 tatical plays..

Absolutely not, unless you want RL to go down the same path as so-called "Canadian" football.

100 years ago we Canadians had a great and distinctively Canadian sport called Canadian Rugby Football.  It was easily distinguished from Rugby Union by the improvements made to it: no rucks, mauls, fair catches or throw-ins, and even no scrums.  After a tackle the teams got back onside, the offensive team's forwards lined up on the line of scrimmage and the guy in the middle heeled it back into play.  Attacking kicks near the goal line were common, which is why the rouge came into being.  If that sounds similar to RL, it was.

Then they started copying the Yanks.  First the snap-back system of putting the ball in play replaced heeling it backwards RL-style, the forward pass came in 10 or so years later, and in time the distinctive Canadian elements were pushed to the fringes.  A once unique game became a variant of the US game and fans of "Canadian" football don't have a clue why the single point was really brought into the game.

The reason I love RL is that to all intents and purposes it's an improved version of the game the Grey Cup was given to.  No forward passes!!!!

Edited by Big Picture, 01 November 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#52 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

Whatever would the Saints fans shout? "Lateral" sorry poor effort
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#53 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Gridiron will evolve over the next few years in order to protect the players. There are already huge lawsuits going on to do with ongoing head/brain injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the rules to be more like rugby.

i think this is spot on, the forward pass creates endless hospital passes where the receiver can be smashed from all directions with only a vague idea of where the defenders are. Bit by bit they are changing that to protect that receiver, with logic taking it towards something closer to rugby
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#54 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

I think we should take it further and on the last tackle the ref shouts out another sports name, the attacking team then has to use a play from that sport. For example, "GOLF” Means they have to go for a hole in one, in some way. "F1" means all the players have to run around and around in a line, jump into the changing room to change boots, then run around and around in a line again. Oh what fun we will have.

#55 Love this game

Love this game
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

Okay.. I see a 70 percent of the posterz.. Against the idea.. Understandable, due to its a very new and raw idea.. And never seen in it in gameplay..

#56 Love this game

Love this game
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

I will try.. Make you visualize it.. Within your own mind.. Kick off.. Mannering charges in.. The first tackle. Gets to 20 meters.. 3 decoy players runs through as the ball goes through 3 sets of hands.. Shuan johnson.. Throws an nfl pass.. To manu vatuvai.. Tackled at half way.. 3rd tackle.. Sbw.. Charges the ball.. 20 meters to the line.. 4 th tackle.. Back line moves.. 5 tackle grubber or bomb kick..

#57 Love this game

Love this game
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Or the best sernario be.. Manu vatuvai gets the ball at full speed.. Smashes slater stone cold.. And scores a 80 meter try.. Lol

#58 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

I will try.. Make you visualize it.. Within your own mind.. Kick off.. Mannering charges in.. The first tackle. Gets to 20 meters.. 3 decoy players runs through as the ball goes through 3 sets of hands.. Shuan johnson.. Throws an nfl pass.. To manu vatuvai.. Tackled at half way.. 3rd tackle.. Sbw.. Charges the ball.. 20 meters to the line.. 4 th tackle.. Back line moves.. 5 tackle grubber or bomb kick..

hahahaha sounds stupid to me. :sclerosis:

#59 telliner

telliner
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

I'll be honest with you, even though I'm English I know more in depth about AF than RL so maybe I'm missing something, but I kind of thought one of the strengths of RL is its simplicity, rather than all the complicated wasting of time that goes on in RU. RL seem to me a game of territory, and knowing the right time to take a chance on a more expansive play that may open things up, and when to keep it tight and pin the other team back. That's exactly what American football is too. Obviously it's not a straight read across, there no blocking in RL and the plays are more scripted in AF, but if you read about AF before they introduced the forward pass, when they wore almost no pads or proper helmets, and ran the ball every play, it looks quite familiar.

All of which of course is why RL could really break America much more easily than RU if it gets its act together. It's much easier for an American player to get up and running with RL rules and tactics and much easier for an American spectator to understand it - I've been watching RU all my life (and played it at school) and I still don't understand half the rucking and mauling rules.

ok I'll concede in part although the 'war of attrition in AF has a greater intensity within the bounds of its game as against a tight midfeild defensive battle   i see your analogy with AF over the game of paitience and locked defencees with offensive side playing a waiting game looking for the moment to 'pickpocket' the defensive side with an incisive pass forward.Yes simplicity is strong point of league but i would say to excell in league it is extremely difficult to have that 'extra',to split a defence to change a game by presence aka Ellery Hanley,Wally Lewis,Mal Meninga.

The forward pass in league i would see as a sort of joker card to create a greater intensity  at end of game

#60 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

Would the size of the ball have be changed?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users