Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Stuart Lancaster for Perfromance Director?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Six to Go

Six to Go
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

Depending on how England Union get on in the 2015 World Cup should the RFL look to headhunt Stuart to become head of performance at Red Hall.

True he won't have the resources he gets from the RFU but he will have the talent and coaching infrastructure he doesn't have with Union.He was recently bemoaning the fact that League players have a greater command of core skills common to both sports due to coaching and he will need to force a sea change in Union to get their coaches to switch from scrum practice to pass and catch practice.

He has had close contact with League via his work at the Tykes and he would dearly love to introduce cultures such as humility and being aware of the community you come from to Union but that won't be easy.

Any thoughts?

#2 Cliff Spracklen

Cliff Spracklen
  • Coach
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

Stuart has a thorough knowledge of RL as well as RU. He attended a Bramley fans forum once and showed openness, honesty and a full appreciation of the issues facing both codes, warts and all, as well as a thoroughly modern approach to performance and player management. would be an excellent choice despite my normal antipathy towards union.

#3 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

Have we a long enough spoon?

#4 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

As far as I'm aware there's never been a coach with a Union background that has made a successful switch to League, why would we want to take that gamble along with all the costs it would involve? If it was Farrel or Edwards being proposed I could see the logic

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#5 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 879 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

Athlete performance Director doesn't have to have any RL baggage, given the role. If looking at rugby and cross code then Clive Woodward would be the stand out if we had the aspiration goals as priority and not instinctive "little RL" mentality preventing us.   But somebody from the cycle world would of course be top notch. They know how to put together a team of performance, analysts and "sport being played" coaches.  That's the key, doesn't all come in one man but one man can put together the team.

Why Stuart Lancaster, its still early days for him, yep made a good start from the base he inherited but yet fully proven

Edited by redjonn, 01 November 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#6 Six to Go

Six to Go
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Spot on regarding Cycling and they have a performance director in Brailsford who truly is world class and he brings the best together to form his off track team.

Forget the coaching aspect as we have plenty of well respected and well qualified league coaches who can fulfill that role.We haven't had a real performance director since the days of David Waite and the revolution he undertook back in the early 2000's.We now have a generation of players who can be technically as good as any player in the world.The Burgess boys and James Graham came through that time of revolution in their formative years.

The sport in this country needs another shake up and Lancaster or Brailsford would be the right people to do it.No baggage, no "this is how we have always done it" and no fear.If they can't effect change in League then there will be no shortage of takers for their services in other sports.

Who in League would you want to take this role if not an outsider?

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Is he qualified? What makes him the man to take this role?

Always baffle me posts like this.

#8 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

As far as I'm aware there's never been a coach with a Union background that has made a successful switch to League, why would we want to take that gamble along with all the costs it would involve? If it was Farrel or Edwards being proposed I could see the logic

Alan Jones the successful  ex Wallaby Coach moved to Rugby League with the ARL Club Balmain Tigers.

At the time he commented Rugby League was a simple game to understand and play.

He did not do too well.....

#9 telliner

telliner
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

why would lancaster take a backward step?get real.

#10 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

Is he qualified? What makes him the man to take this role?

Of course.  He's a union man, and has said something positive about league.  That's all it takes for some people.  Crumbs from the table.

#11 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Embarrassing thread this. As far as I'm aware he hasn't achieved anything. His appreciation for RL is welcome but irrelevant.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#12 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Rio Ferdinand appreciates rugby league too, should we get him on board?

The idea that we need to bring in an outsider to shake things up is absolute nonsense as well.

The approach to this World Cup for the England squad is totally new. It has never been as professional. If we don't win it, it won't be through lack of preparation. For years people have been saying we'll never beat the Aussies unless we try something different, well we're trying. Let's see if that does the trick.

#13 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

Alan Jones the successful  ex Wallaby Coach moved to Rugby League with the ARL Club Balmain Tigers.

At the time he commented Rugby League was a simple game to understand and play.

He did not do too well.....

I know about Alan Jones, I haven't looked this up so may be wrong, but from memory he did one season and they came bottom of the league didn't they.

I'm not against someone from outside our sport taking the position of Performance Director, if he was interested and we could afford it I could see the value in bringing some like Brailsford who, along with his team, has took cycling from a minority sport in which we occasionally did well and made us top of the world, thus increasing its popularity. Last time I cared to look Lancaster had achieved nothing of note with England but has said some nice things about RL

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#14 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

I feel like ive entered the twilight zone,this is the second wierd thread ive opened today

#15 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

Please can we talk about anything else...how about the lights at Blackpool - I've not been this year yet - has anyone else been ?

#16 telliner

telliner
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

Please can we talk about anything else...how about the lights at Blackpool - I've not been this year yet - has anyone else been ?

I think youll find talk about Blackpool lights is banned on this forum.thread derailment is a grevious transgression and can lead you into perdition.Besides the Blackpool illuminati show is just a mass mind control programming system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users