TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Jersey Numbers

And Ray French

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

I just want to know who's laiking, Mark.

Very difficult when you're actually at the game, especially if you're at the back of a huge stadium that makes Don Valley look cosy.  Names on the backs are fine, but they're more for TV than any use when you're at the game.  I just wear glasses, not high powered binoculars. 

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#22 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

I just want to know who's laiking, Mark.

Very difficult when you're actually at the game, especially if you're at the back of a huge stadium that makes Don Valley look cosy.  Names on the backs are fine, but they're more for TV than any use when you're at the game.  I just wear glasses, not high powered binoculars. 

Sure. ATEOTD if you don't know the player, you don't know the player, regardless of whether he's wearing no.3 or 17. Either way, you need a squad list or teamsheet. Neither system will help you with your problem.

#23 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

Sure. ATEOTD if you don't know the player, you don't know the player, regardless of whether he's wearing no.3 or 17. Either way, you need a squad list or teamsheet. Neither system will help you with your problem.

Don't see that, Mark.  I could watch two teams of players I've never seen, like the way one plays, see he's wearing 11 - no idea who he might be under 1-13.

With the squad system, I can look up his squad number in the programme.

I'll give you an example - it was 15 mins into Monday's game before I realised Aaron Groom was playing scrum half for Fiji - and I know him personally!!

#24 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

I much prefer positional numbering, I have to say.  I can sometimes go a whole match and I haven't worked out where number 17 is playing.

I have never really bought into the marketing issue.  If you buy a shirt and put Sam Tomkins 1 on it, who cares if one week he fills in at stand off?  Just put your preferred or their usual position on it.*

*These are just my opinions.

#25 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

I much prefer positional numbering, I have to say.  I can sometimes go a whole match and I haven't worked out where number 17 is playing.

Does it matter ?  I've never really bought into the need for your average bloke on the terrace  to know what position a player is supposed to be playing. Yeah, sometimes it helps your understanding of the game but does it really matter ?

#26 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,959 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

This topic is one of Ray's biggest hobby horses, but he has got it dead wrong.

At Workington on Tuesday night, the Tongan players Konrad Hurrell and Jorge Taufua were down as 3 and 4 on the teamsheet respectively, and were announced to the crowd as such.

But they came out wearing 4 and 3, confusing many people in the crowd.

They revered to 3 and 4 in the second half, which was even more confusing.

This isn't the only World Cup match in which this has happened.

It looks amateurish.

Squad numbers should be mandatory for the World Cup, and I hope they will be from 2017.

#27 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

At Workington on Tuesday night, the Tongan players Konrad Hurrell and Jorge Taufua were down as 3 and 4 on the teamsheet respectively, and were announced to the crowd as such.

It looks amateurish.

Squad numbers should be mandatory for the World Cup, and I hope they will be from 2017.

That happened in the Autumn Internationals last year, too.  Lesser known players wearing the wrong jerseys and the error not recognised by the press.

One of the biggest drivers towards squad numbers has been complaints from Sky and Premier.

#28 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

Martin, Griff

This isn't a topic I've really engaged in to any large extent myself, however... 

Martin - I don't think you can really say whether someone is dead wrong or dead right on the issue.  It's a clear matter of opinion which system you prefer as a spectator.  I also think the example you cited from the other day was quite and extreme one, with players putting the wrong jersey on.  That's pretty rare.

Griff - it does matter to me.  I like to know from the off who is playing in which position.  It aids my understanding of how the team is functioning when I can see how players in their particular positions are contributing.  I find it easier to do this when I can see a positional number on their back. 

To give an example, No 17 is the last but one defender out wide, he misses the tackle.  He typically plays second row or centre, but can also fill in at loose forward or prop at a stretch.  If I'm watching on telly or haven't seen the line up (or indeed remembered where no 17 is playing...) I might have to think, "No 17 is playing 2nd row today, not centre, maybe he shouldn't have had to cover that wide.  No 24 should have covered that.  He's playing centre today (but was loose forward last week).  Incidentally, the no 4, the jersey the centre traditionally wears, is at full back". 

I think this is a pretty typical example and I do experience this problem - hence I preferred positional numbering. (fact)

#29 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

Fair comment - but you're wrong about players wearing the wrong jerseys.  It's surprisingly common.

It's a source of regular complaints and RFL circulars.

Edited by Griff, 01 November 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#30 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

It looks amateurish.

And what's to spot a team beggaring up the squad number system by coming out in the wrong shirt?

#31 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

Don't see that, Mark.  I could watch two teams of players I've never seen, like the way one plays, see he's wearing 11 - no idea who he might be under 1-13.

With the squad system, I can look up his squad number in the programme.

I'll give you an example - it was 15 mins into Monday's game before I realised Aaron Groom was playing scrum half for Fiji - and I know him personally!!

Well, you know 11 is a second-rower. And if you're looking up squad numbers you can look up team lists exactly the same.

#32 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,959 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

And what's to spot a team beggaring up the squad number system by coming out in the wrong shirt?

The name on the shirt should be the decisive factor, although I admit that there's no limit to how far some people can go to cock things up.

#33 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

The name on the shirt should be the decisive factor, although I admit that there's no limit to how far some people can go to cock things up.

which I think touches on the real answer perhaps. Squad numbers is probably the way to go, provided it's done properly and well marketed. I don't think it has been so far in SL and KPC. Im not just talking about shifting replica kit, but a wider exploitation of the possibilities. Clubs have players changing shirts every year, 'moving up' to a still coveted 1 to 13 jumper. Defeats the object of the exercise.

#34 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,959 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

which I think touches on the real answer perhaps. Squad numbers is probably the way to go, provided it's done properly and well marketed. I don't think it has been so far in SL and KPC. Im not just talking about shifting replica kit, but a wider exploitation of the possibilities. Clubs have players changing shirts every year, 'moving up' to a still coveted 1 to 13 jumper. Defeats the object of the exercise.

That's an interesting view. I think you're right about the game not fully exploiting the marketing possibilities of squad numbers.

I do think that players should covet the numbers 1 to 13, and should aim to have a shirt within that range when the squad is announced prior to the start of the season. I know many players who do have that aim. To see which players have made it into the first thirteen, and which haven't, should be a major news story for every club, and it should engender lots of close-season debate among supporters.

#35 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

Some clubs, I know Wigan do, have a special evening pre-season where shirts are handed out to players. All part of the marketing, building anticipation among fans as to who will be getting the 1 - 13 shirts.

Which brings up the story  of Palleaaesina when Madge came to Wigan, Madge handed Feka his shirt, which was apparently several sizes too small. Feka turned to Madge and said "I'll never get in that" to which Madge replied "You will when I've finished with you".

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#36 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

I like the squad number system myself, but can live with 1-17.  But under either system the addition of the players number to the front of the shorts would be a great addition in my opinion when it comes to player identification!

#37 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

The two biggest sports in the world ... soccer and cricket ... have squad numbers for their world cups. RU doesn't.

We should.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#38 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

Presumably, 1-17 is what the Aussies wanted.

#39 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

Presumably, 1-17 is what the Aussies wanted.

Fingers = 10

Toes = 10

Nose = 1

Ears = 2

Eyes = 2

Navel = 1

Balls = 2

Todger = 1

Sherriff's badge = 1

Mouth =1

No wonder the Aussies wanted 1-17. They don't how to count any higher than 31.

Edited by Wolford6, 02 November 2013 - 10:59 AM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users