Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Never trust the Sun...but

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

A paragraph in the sun newspaper advises that Koucash is interested in taking over Swinton Lions.

#2 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

Would make sense for him to have a team playing in as high a league as possible if he wanted to utilise his fringe players also the clubs locality to SSReds.  Would also make financial sense to have the two clubs playing at the same stadium.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#3 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

is he not interested in Oldham anymore then ?

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#4 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

I hope there is some truth in the story and also hope John Kidd will continue as a director. If it takes us to Barton or whereever the real fans will follow again.

#5 Shizonamy

Shizonamy
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

To me this is worrying. If he owns Oldham too he might want us all to merge with Salford and get a Manchester Super League team. If he takes over he needs to get us a ground, but as has been said he'll have us at Barton. Warning approach with real caution..
"A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man." Turkish Proverb

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

Makes far more sense hes interested in us, especially considering our current situation. I dont think a Manchester RL team would ever happen, the Pinks and our own fans would never allow it.

As long as we were allowed to keep our own identity and board members and such I cant really argue, all things considered.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#7 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

He can have a Manchester super league team and not buy Swinton and Oldham.  

#8 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Are there no rules against ownership of more than one team?
Posted Image

#9 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 916 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

As far as Uncle Marwan is concerned, there are no rules!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#10 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 916 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

This is a bit of a tricky one;

Warrington tie in or Salford?
Kidds secrecy or Koukash openness?
LSV or Barton?
Survival in any guise or death with honour?

Gonna have to hear some more!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#11 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

There will be no Swinton without own ground and own identity. May as well merge as "Manchester Lions". Not what I want but current situation is unsustainable.

#12 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

If there is any move afoot then Swinton MUST play in Swinton.
M the M wouldn't buy Swinton to merge Swinton and Salford to become a Manchester team.....you wouldn't need Swinton for that you'd just change the name from Salford!.....and if he did that then we would be the only professional team left in the City of Salford so presumably would get better backing from the Council based in Swinton town hall.

#13 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

Just checked my calendar and it is the first of November not April isn't it?

#14 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

If true it's an opportunity not to be missed,Koukash is a winner and has talked openly in his dealings with Oldham of his keeness to build local rivalry.Obviously we would need to hear more of his plans and I can understand those fans fearful of us becoming the Reds feeder club.Oldhams loss could be our gain!

#15 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

“I know for a fact I can look after the interests of all three clubs and make them all a major force.
Quote from Koukash when it was reported that he was keen to take over Oldham Roughyeds and Oldham Athletic.The key words to me are MAJOR FORCE

#16 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

...of his keenness to build local rivalry.

Yes, I heard that aspect of the (Marwan's) venture, to stimulate that instinctive and natural sense of local rivalry. After all, where ever you live or whatever sport you follow, there's nothing like a good full-blooded local derby to get the fans through the turnstiles - or at least it used to be so.

Edited by Blue Monkey, 01 November 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#17 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

Koukash reminds me of Des Johnston.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#18 eddrudd

eddrudd
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

Marwan wants a feeder club so he will cherry pick all the good Swinton lads and let the rest get on with it

#19 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

I cannot see any commercial sense in taking ownership of Swinton - other than buying the brand in order to close it down and then as has been said previously ensure all support from the city council will then go the Salford. No one knows what's going so it's all speculation, so we will all have to wait and see and hope for the best........

#20 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:02 PM

At present it would seem "The Brand" isn't far away from closing down without the intervention of Koukash.I really don't think he would see the club as a threat in its present guise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users