Never trust the Sun...but

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 946 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:43 PM

He may one day own the brand, but he will never tame the Lion!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#22 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

Depends on his approach. If he simply wants a feeder club to support his vision for Salford Reds then I'd be worried, and like I said earlier they may as well merge ahead of a genuine attempt to re-launch SL on a grand scale across the whole of Manchester (as Sale appear to be doing in RU). If however he has the vision to make the Lions a genuine force in their own right, and stir up intense local rivalry, it could be exciting times ahead with clubs mutually benefitting. E.g. You don't increase the custom of a pub by closing down its nearest rival. You have a genuinely popular destination for a night out where there is more than one choice.

#23 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

I agree Steve, if there is any truth in these headlines then we need to see the substance of Koucash's commitment before deciding if it is good or bad.

#24 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

Would also make financial sense to have the two clubs playing at the same stadium.

Perhaps there's some truth in this, but, for me (and others?), sharing a ground with Salford outside M27, is quite simply NOT an option. What the hell have we been patiently striving for all these years since 1992? Playing at someone else's stadium outside our historic boundaries is only acceptable when it is on a 'temporary' basis, as has been the case with us.

Think about it, can you really imagine, for example, seeing Batley and Dewsbury, Castleford and Wakefield Trinity or Hull and Hull KR being overjoyed to share their match venues? I certainly don't, mainly because it's so unnatural.

:shout:

#25 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

Koukash reminds me of Des Johnston.

but with a little bit more money!

#26 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

Koukash reminds me of Des Johnston.

Excuse my ignorance, but who the hell is Des Johnson when he's at home?

#27 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:09 AM

Excuse my ignorance, but who the hell is Des Johnson when he's at home?

Used to be chairman at Barrow when they cheated their way to a few trophies

Edited by mark richardson, 03 November 2013 - 02:10 AM.

#28 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

In response to Steve's post - I agree with your comments, but right now the only thing that the club can aspire to is that of a feeder club. We all know what is required to breathe life into the club, significant more financial backing and an executable plan to provide the essentials items for any club, a ground, a decent team, good coaching set up, youth policy, community development..........I know everyone knows what's required and that for all the effort and financial input made by the current board, little progress has been made.

The reason I referred to Swinton solely as a brand is because - unless I am wrong the club has few if any assets to offer any potential investor(s) so it is hoped that who(m) ever invests in club that it is with a vision on doing exactly what Steve has suggested...................hopefully we will find out in due course and what ever is decided is for the benefit of all concerned.

#29 vintage lion

vintage lion
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

A paragraph in the sun newspaper advises that Koucash is interested in taking over Swinton Lions.

well what happened at the meeting yesterday

#30 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

well what happened at the meeting yesterday

What meeting?

#31 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

From M.E.N today: http://www.mancheste...ss-code-6272044

Perhaps were waiting for him to get back from Oz.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#32 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

I like the 'quotes' at the back end of the piece re there being more to life than super league, if true.

He does seem to have more than his fair share of fingers judging by the number of pies he's reported to have them in!

#33 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

Did somebody mention "PIES" are we now linking/dual registration up with Wigan.

#34 eddrudd

eddrudd
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

Parky I wish. I do not love the Pie Eaters but they do seem to have the dosh soooo maybe.

#35 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

If this is true that Koukash wants to take over and keep Swinton Lions as a separate and proud club then I see no problem.

#36 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

Marwan wants a feeder club so he will cherry pick all the good Swinton lads and let the rest get on with it

Really? According to another thread we haven't got any players signed that he CAN cherry-pick

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#37 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 946 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

Really? According to another thread we haven't got any players signed that he CAN cherry-pick

Fair point!
If he puts in the dough to buy them it's hardly gonna be theft if he wants them to play elsewhere!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users