Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What now for Italy Rugby League?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

Been a successful past few weeks for the Italia Rugby League team beating England, Wales and lining up a possible quarter final match against New Zealand. Just thinking what could be done or what the plans are, if any to capitalise on what looks like a strong close knit team. 

Don't see any reason why we can't see games against England in Italy mid season or we can't develop a Euro nations cup mid season. 

Also interested to see what impact this World Cup will have on their domestic leagues.

#2 saintspete83

saintspete83
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

Only problem is when proposing a euro tournament how many of the world cup team NRL based would put their hand up to play ? 

#3 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

Only problem is when proposing a euro tournament how many of the world cup team NRL based would put their hand up to play ? 

That would be the challenge, if most of the team along with those out injured are available then it could work

#4 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

They'd have to get time off work to fly to Italy for home games...

#5 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

They'd have to get time off work to fly to Italy for home games...

The bigger issue would how many of them would want to play unless it was a world cup ?

#6 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

Played around Origin time it might be ok.. If its a pukka International clubs are still required to release players to play, and if injured can only be signed off by the International team doctor.. unless the rules have changed. That being said i sure some NRL clubs would do their best to persuade their players not to play.

This Italian team playing in Italy against England, for instance, would be great to see, and great to build on the work being done over there.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#7 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

The bigger issue would how many of them would want to play unless it was a world cup ?

That is it, the World Cup gets everyone looking for a team to play for and asking where their Granddad was from.

How many will want to play a regular game and probably pay their own costs to be there?

The Italian Captain is on 200 pounds a game at this WC.

#8 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

Played around Origin time it might be ok.. If its a pukka International clubs are still required to release players to play, and if injured can only be signed off by the International team doctor.. unless the rules have changed. That being said i sure some NRL clubs would do their best to persuade their players not to play.

This Italian team playing in Italy against England, for instance, would be great to see, and great to build on the work being done over there.

Not many English NRL players returned to England this year to play any Tests.

#9 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

I don't think Wigan or St Helens will want to release some of their top players half way through Superleague to play for Samoa or Tonga so I can't the NRL clubs doing the same. This is why local players have to be involve in any test matches or world cups for experience.

#10 telliner

telliner
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

italian super league club to add to the catalan weekend trip.proper bl00dy pizzas and non pseudo pasta dishes nice weekend incorporating tour of assissi ,padua lake perry como.yeah we should embrace the italian adventure with gusto.

#11 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

This is why we need an international window.. I dont think England played any tests this year did we?.. just exiles, which isnt a test match, otherwise England could have requested the NRL boys to come over.

If we want international RL to work the clubs have to give a little.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#12 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

This is why we need an international window.. I dont think England played any tests this year did we?.. just exiles, which isnt a test match, otherwise England could have requested the NRL boys to come over.

If we want international RL to work the clubs have to give a little.

England played Wales last year and no NRL players were called up.

Its not going to happen in reality, has NZ called up SL players for the ANZAC Test often?

#13 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

origin time would be worse surely? Teams lose guys to origin who play on a Wednesday and then have a nrl game on the weekend - add internationals and they would have no one else left.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#14 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

How many games of competitive rugby league are played in italy each week and how many of these games include italian internationals? I suspect its a very round number. The only reason italy are in the world cup is cos there are a lot of ausies with italian heritage. Who didnt get picked for australia. Horse dead and flogging spring to mind

#15 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

With what we've got, the ambition should be to try and have a series of international matches at the same time as Origin. The best bet would be for Super League to take a break and for England to travel down under. Some of our players will be there anyway. We could play the Kiwis whilst Origin is on, and the Pacific Nations, and nations like Italy and USA could play in Australia, with access to Oz based players.

In the UK, the home nations and France could play.

In the autumn, various nations should play, and should have access to all their players, so should be able to play a mix of games at home and abroad.

That is achievable, if funding is available to organise the tours, which don't come cheap.

#16 abd

abd
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

Without a strong RL base in Italy there'll be no real progress. Italian-Australians need to be used to assist a national side, not to dominate it. Could an Italian side play in the top French domestic league and over time be Italian dominated? I think, based on what i know, that Super League is way too far off for their development. Southern France would provide a smaller step in standard and far less expense/travel.

#17 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

How many games of competitive rugby league are played in italy each week and how many of these games include italian internationals? I suspect its a very round number. The only reason italy are in the world cup is cos there are a lot of ausies with italian heritage. Who didnt get picked for australia. Horse dead and flogging spring to mind

That's the spirit.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#18 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,485 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Sadly, I don't think an Italian squad of this quality will get together until the next world cup. If they qualify.

One idea would be to have a European Nation Cup, run along the same lines as the world cup, when England play down under.

The one problem would be how to fund it. If the RLIF are now to fund domestic development will there be enough left for organising international tournaments that involve such travel? Italy to play in the Pacific Cup?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#19 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,485 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Without a strong RL base in Italy there'll be no real progress. Italian-Australians need to be used to assist a national side, not to dominate it. Could an Italian side play in the top French domestic league and over time be Italian dominated? I think, based on what i know, that Super League is way too far off for their development. Southern France would provide a smaller step in standard and far less expense/travel.

On a pessimistic interpretation of what I've been reading I think international development might mean finding more Italian, Scottish, American, Irish, Pacific island (etc) players from the established professional competitions in Australasia, England. There was a report in one of the Aussies papers that suggested the RLIF were going to allow players to declare for two nations: one of the big three and one of the 'lesser' nations (subject to qualification criteria). The big three would, obviously, have first pick, but if a player missed out then they would be able to opt for their 'second' nation.

Not very credible in a lot of senses, but I think the success of this RLWC - and its success is undoubted in quality of the matches - will have strengthened the chances of this being adopted.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#20 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

The problem that I see with Italian RL - and with US RL too - is that there are actually four entities that have to be considered when and simply talking about "Italian RL". If we're not clear about what we're discussing we'll get people talking at cross purposes as the different groups get confused.

As I see it (and this is only what I have been able to glean from internet searches) there currently exists;

1) Official Domestic Competition (FIRL?)

This is the body the RLEF/RLIF deals with - but the size, strength and quality of the administration has many critics.  Apparently the structure of the organisation is at odds with the wider Italian sports structures (CONI?) and this means it will always struggle for legitimacy within Italian sport.  Accused of being very Australian dominated?

2) Unofficial Domestic Competition (FIRFL?)

Set up four years ago as a result of dissatisfaction from clubs with regards to failings within the organisation of the official FIRL.  A quick scan of the internet would seem to show that it is a larger, better organised group.  Has made great strides towards meeting official CONI criteria.....but, because of the split with the FIRL can never meet official standards.

Players from this competition are not picked for international teams - even though there is evidence that there may be a player pool of domestic players 5-6 times larger than the official FIRL comp.

3) "Domestic" International Team (FIRL)

There have been matches - WC qualification and friendlies - over the years.  A quick scan of the team lists would show that these are not just a collection of players flown over from Australia for the weekend (logistically impossible - even if it were desired).  It would seem that there are FIRL players who have played for Italy...albeit at a lower standard than seen at the current WC.

4) "World Cup" International Team

A markedly different squad to the one that won qualification to the WC.  Dominated by heritage players from (mainly) Australia.  Unlikely to ever be able to reform outside of the WC cycle....unless a genuine international window is secured.

It also seems to me that before ANY other discussion can take place the rift in the domestic organisations has to be settled.  

Italy seems to be very close to having a decent, official, amateur structure if the two bodies can be brought together.  For this the RLEF/RLIF have to revisit their current support of the FIRL.

Of the four "Italian RL" groups listed above the World Cup International Team is the easiest one to create as it doesn't require the huge investment of time and money that genuine domestic organisations require.  The problem is that the short-sighted behaviour that is typical of RL governing bodies will probably see them happy to pat themselves on the back about the "Success of RL in Italy" (as measured ONLY by what's happened in the past five weeks) and do nothing else.

Although it would bring about some criticism I would like to see any Italian RL membership of the RELF suspended until a domestic organisation that meets CONI guidelines applies for membership (even better make membership of CONI a criteria for recognition by RLEF....although I'm aware this would set a precedent for other countries that might not be desirable) .  

Get this sorted and then worry about international fixtures.

If the vast majority of Italians actually prefer to play within the organisation that, at the moment, isn't eligible for rep honours then that should be a warning sign to the RELF/RILF.

Edited by kier, 18 November 2013 - 09:51 PM.

www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users