Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What now for Italy Rugby League?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

The problem that I see with Italian RL - and with US RL too - is that there are actually four entities that have to be considered when and simply talking about "Italian RL". If we're not clear about what we're discussing we'll get people talking at cross purposes as the different groups get confused.

As I see it (and this is only what I have been able to glean from internet searches) there currently exists;

1) Official Domestic Competition (FIRL?)

This is the body the RLEF/RLIF deals with - but the size, strength and quality of the administration has many critics.  Apparently the structure of the organisation is at odds with the wider Italian sports structures (CONI?) and this means it will always struggle for legitimacy within Italian sport.  Accused of being very Australian dominated?

2) Unofficial Domestic Competition (FIRFL?)

Set up four years ago as a result of dissatisfaction from clubs with regards to failings within the organisation of the official FIRL.  A quick scan of the internet would seem to show that it is a larger, better organised group.  Has made great strides towards meeting official CONI criteria.....but, because of the split with the FIRL can never meet official standards.

Players from this competition are not picked for international teams - even though there is evidence that there may be a player pool of domestic players 5-6 times larger than the official FIRL comp.

3) "Domestic" International Team (FIRL)

There have been matches - WC qualification and friendlies - over the years.  A quick scan of the team lists would show that these are not just a collection of players flown over from Australia for the weekend (logistically impossible - even if it were desired).  It would seem that there are FIRL players who have played for Italy...albeit at a lower standard than seen at the current WC.

4) "World Cup" International Team

A markedly different squad to the one that won qualification to the WC.  Dominated by heritage players from (mainly) Australia.  Unlikely to ever be able to reform outside of the WC cycle....unless a genuine international window is secured.

It also seems to me that before ANY other discussion can take place the rift in the domestic organisations has to be settled.  

Italy seems to be very close to having a decent, official, amateur structure if the two bodies can be brought together.  For this the RLEF/RLIF have to revisit their current support of the FIRL.

Of the four "Italian RL" groups listed above the World Cup International Team is the easiest one to create as it doesn't require the huge investment of time and money that genuine domestic organisations require.  The problem is that the short-sighted behaviour that is typical of RL governing bodies will probably see them happy to pat themselves on the back about the "Success of RL in Italy" (as measured ONLY by what's happened in the past five weeks) and do nothing else.

Although it would bring about some criticism I would like to see any Italian RL membership of the RELF suspended until a domestic organisation that meets CONI guidelines applies for membership (even better make membership of CONI a criteria for recognition by RLEF....although I'm aware this would set a precedent for other countries that might not be desirable) .  

Get this sorted and then worry about international fixtures.

If the vast majority of Italians actually prefer to play within the organisation that, at the moment, isn't eligible for rep honours then that should be a warning sign to the RELF/RILF.

"Has made great strides towards meeting official CONI criteria.....but, because of the split with the FIRL can never meet official standards."

This above information put out by RLEF/FIRL is false. FIRFL can meet CONI standards despite not being under RLEF. There is a few rules, which state this :)

Also FIRFL (unrecognised) now meet minimum CONI requirements.

RLEF should have acted strongly at the start.

It's a pity the FIRFL players do not have more an opportunity to represent Italy (there has been one match v an International XIII), but they realise they wouldnt have got a shot at RLWC under FIRL.

You will find at least half of "FIRL Euro Shield" teams are still heritage players from UK and France....

#22 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:32 AM

"Has made great strides towards meeting official CONI criteria.....but, because of the split with the FIRL can never meet official standards."

This above information put out by RLEF/FIRL is false. FIRFL can meet CONI standards despite not being under RLEF. There is a few rules, which state this :)
I meant that because there were two competing bodies (FIRL and FIRFL) there would not be the possibility of meeting CONI criteria - not that RLEF recognition was needed......however your next line would seem to imply that is incorrect too.

If that is the case is there a time frame for getting formal recognition?  I have to admit I'd prefer to see the FIRFL in control of the Italian RL - given what they have achieved in only four years.

It's a pity the FIRFL players do not have more an opportunity to represent Italy (there has been one match v an International XIII), but they realise they wouldnt have got a shot at RLWC under FIRL.

You will find at least half of "FIRL Euro Shield" teams are still heritage players from UK and France....

I don't have a problem with heritage players - and the fact that these were available for the Euro Shield puts them in a different category(in my mind) to players who would only be available during a World Cup.

It would be best if ALL italian players were part of a genuine pyramid from youth teams up to international.

Thanks for your reply and good luck with CONI

Edited by kier, 19 November 2013 - 01:34 AM.

www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

#23 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

I meant that because there were two competing bodies (FIRL and FIRFL) there would not be the possibility of meeting CONI criteria - not that RLEF recognition was needed......however your next line would seem to imply that is incorrect too.

If that is the case is there a time frame for getting formal recognition?  I have to admit I'd prefer to see the FIRFL in control of the Italian RL - given what they have achieved in only four years.

I don't have a problem with heritage players - and the fact that these were available for the Euro Shield puts them in a different category(in my mind) to players who would only be available during a World Cup.

It would be best if ALL italian players were part of a genuine pyramid from youth teams up to international.

Thanks for your reply and good luck with CONI

Just to make it clear have no problem with the heritage players from France/UK (since im the same) playing as long as they are helping with development when in Italy (which most would be) and as long as they are not all named as domestic in press

Edited by CQItalia, 19 November 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#24 Gregory

Gregory
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

With the 2014-15 European Shield doubling up as a 2017 World Cup qualifying tournament, it could be that Italy actually end up playing less games over the next few years. Will they have to qualify though, if their ranking improves significantly as a consequence of their fine performances and results over the past month?

#25 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:15 AM

I think this could be a great opportunity for Italy is they can take a international game to Melbourne. 

Playing to the games strengths, the largest Italian population outside Italy is in Melbourne. 

I would try to have Italy play Cook Islands and PNG, even Tonga. A tri-series ? to get people interested. 

Plenty would turn up. A great starting level to break the ice. The Italians in Melbourne have not had much to cheer about about from AFL for the last 150 years. 

Maybe rugby league has a opportunity not to be missed here. 

I know if i was Italian, in Melbourne, i would turn up,. ?

#26 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

Not quite true oikee, there are far more Italians in brazil, Argentina, the USA and a number of other latin american and european countries. Italians in Sydney would be more likely to follow rugby league than Italians in Melbourne as well.

#27 Gregory

Gregory
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

Sadly, I don't think an Italian squad of this quality will get together until the next world cup. If they qualify.

One idea would be to have a European Nation Cup, run along the same lines as the world cup, when England play down under.

The one problem would be how to fund it. If the RLIF are now to fund domestic development will there be enough left for organising international tournaments that involve such travel? Italy to play in the Pacific Cup?

I'm very hopeful that Italy will qualify for the next World Cup. A large number of the current squad will still be around and I'm sure the incentive of playing in a 'home' (probably) tournament in 2017 will be the incentive to make themselves available for the qualifiers. Hopefully, the domestic game in Italy will also have developed in this time too, and they'll be a few Italian-born, homegrown players selected.

Edited by Gregory, 28 November 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#28 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

I think this could be a great opportunity for Italy is they can take a international game to Melbourne. 

Playing to the games strengths, the largest Italian population outside Italy is in Melbourne. 

I would try to have Italy play Cook Islands and PNG, even Tonga. A tri-series ? to get people interested. 

Plenty would turn up. A great starting level to break the ice. The Italians in Melbourne have not had much to cheer about about from AFL for the last 150 years. 

Maybe rugby league has a opportunity not to be missed here. 

I know if i was Italian, in Melbourne, i would turn up,. ?

Hutch is right.

Perhaps you are thinking of Greeks.

#29 XIII man

XIII man
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Been a successful past few weeks for the Italia Rugby League team beating England, Wales and lining up a possible quarter final match against New Zealand. Just thinking what could be done or what the plans are, if any to capitalise on what looks like a strong close knit team. 

Don't see any reason why we can't see games against England in Italy mid season or we can't develop a Euro nations cup mid season

Also interested to see what impact this World Cup will have on their domestic leagues.

The reason would be the same one as why we dont fly England over to Australia mid-season.

#30 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

I'd suggest nothing happens to take Italy forward I also would say nothing should happen its a waste of resource and funds to pay a bunch of Aussies to pitch up represent a country that has no RL ,reserve the funding for nations that actually have RL and forget all this heritage rubbish ,if you want to expand the game into new territories play SL or NRL games in Rome or Glasgow then expand with there own clubs in SL etc ,the NFL model for London seems to be a good idea!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users