Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SKOLARS ANNOUNCE WIGAN AS CAPITAL CHALLENGE OPPONENTS

24th Jan HAC

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

London Skolars Announce SL Champions & Challenge Cup Winners Wigan Warriors as 2014 Capital Challenge Opponenta

1st November 2013

London Skolars Rugby League is delighted to announce that the 2014 Capital Challenge match, to be played on Friday 24th January, will be between Skolars and Super League Giants Wigan Warriors. The match, which will be held in the grounds of the Honourable Artillery Company (HAC), in the heart of the City of London will be sponsored by NASDAQ OMX Global Indexes, Capita Asset Services and Boost ETP.

Commenting on the announcement Skolars General Manager Howard Kramer had this to say, “When it became evident that our usual Capital Challenge opponents, London Broncos, weren’t able to commit to the fixture in 2014 we spoke with Wigan and they have shown a real appetite for supporting Rugby League in the south and bringing a strong XIII to play us at the HAC. This represents a real challenge and opportunity for Joe Mbu’s squad to pit themselves against some of the finest young talent in the country. Everyone is aware Wigan’s phenomenal talent pool and we are very excited to have the opportunity to play this fixture, especially at such an iconic sporting venue like the HAC. Wigan have recently completed a fantastic league and cup double and will compete in the World Club Challenge early in 2014. This match is a must for all London Rugby League fans. It should be noted that it is still our intention to arrange our traditional match with London Broncos in January and we will make an announcement on this fixture in due course.”

Wigan Rugby Manager Kris Radlinski added, “We are delighted to take part in this exciting Challenge Match in the Capital. Wigan has a huge fan and corporate support in the South and it will great for them to see a Wigan XIII play in build up to the new season. The buzz and excitement of the World Cup has captured everyone’s imagination and both Clubs are confident of a big crowd for this prestigious fixture.”

London Skolars v Wigan Warriors XIII will kick off at 2.00pm and will preceded by a pre-match luncheon in the Prince Consort Room at the HAC, with special guest speaker.

Match tickets, priced at £15, are available from the London Skolars online ticket office, which can be reached by clicking here. Information on the pre-match luncheon can be obtained by contacting the London Skolars offices on 020 8888 8488 or e-mail info@skolarsrl.com.

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#2 Yorkie44

Yorkie44
  • Coach
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

Is that the Broncos gone then :(

#3 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

If the broncos usually put 60-70 points on the skolars, how many will Wigan put on them 100?

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

Is that the Broncos gone then :(

Looks that way doesn't it, quite sad really all that money, time and effort gone down the drain.

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

While it's good of Wigan to step into the breach (I think they're putting a special team together aren't they rather than having their usual full team playing?) this is sad news because it would suggest that the Broncos have gone.

They're showing extremely poor form though by not updating the fans.  I suppose that is indicative of the real problem at the club.

#6 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

A magnificent coup for the Skolars and a big thank to Ian Lenagan the most progressive and expansion friendly Chairman in Super League.

The visit of the Super League champions will create a sellout at the HAC and hopefully will entice some exiled Northern Businessman from the city to invest in the Skolars as a club, for "organic growth" NEVER works unless someone has a huge chunk of money to spend.

Buying my Ticket asap.

While it's good of Wigan to step into the breach (I think they're putting a special team together aren't they rather than having their usual full team playing?) this is sad news because it would suggest that the Broncos have gone.

They're showing extremely poor form though by not updating the fans.  I suppose that is indicative of the real problem at the club.

There is a very good reason why London Broncos do not update the fans. The clubs PR officer who ran the website and Facebook page had his contract terminated on 30th September along with most of the staff. Not that there are many Broncos staff left full stop so news is leaking out through confidantes of David Hughes and Tony Rea and of course those two well known sources "tabasco" and "worcester" who feature more on RLfans the natural home for people who "hear things"

Mind you were have not heard from "Agent DD7" for a while. Perhaps his licence was revoked ;)

As for the Broncos I will post nothing to puncture the feel good factor from the World Cup so you be the judge.....

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#7 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

If the broncos usually put 60-70 points on the skolars, how many will Wigan put on them 100?

Doesn't really matter - it's just a bit of fun before the serious hard work begins.

#8 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,898 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

I very much doubt there will be many Wigan 1st teamers present. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#9 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

Well done to Skolars in securing the fixture.  I hope you have a great season

#10 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

Always a good day out - keen to go once again, especially as it's moved back towards the end of the month again.

Edited by Jonty, 02 November 2013 - 08:57 PM.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#11 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

Broncos points on skolars last year as the seasons started late for C1 and Skolars only had 2 training sessions before the game. next year will be different. the year before that it was prettty close

wigan are very keen to bulld their brand in London and will bring a healthy squad both playing and non-playing.

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:

#12 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

i also think teh broncos game will be on at somepoint on Jan but can not be confirmed yet.

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:

#13 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

IM2 - do you not need to change your signature now? :ph34r:

#14 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:13 AM

yeah thought that myself. one more job to do. 

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:

#15 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the first of many developments by Wigan in the capital. Chubb and Sarge could be the start of a trend. The RL don't appear to be doing anything, but IL obviously sees some potential.

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

Was seriously considering a weekend in the smoke for this until I realised its on a Friday. Which sort of scuppered it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

I suspect that this will swell numbers on the touchlines.  Well done Skolars.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

this is sad news because it would suggest that the Broncos have gone.

Pretty much. If they can't find 17 players of CC1 standard given two months' notice then there is little hope for them. I would have expected an NCL side to be able to honour this fixture.

Edited by Northern Sol, 03 November 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#19 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

Pretty much. If they can't find 17 players of CC1 standard given two months' notice then there is little hope for them. I would have expected an NCL side to be able to honour this fixture.

What is this 'CC1'?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

What is this 'CC1'?

Sorry - bad habit - KPC1.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 24th Jan HAC