Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New signing and 2 re signings

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

We should hold a trials day for the local ametuers and see if Murray sees anyone he likes

#22 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hey up Lee, you're starting to sound like a Haven fan. That's always their craic when we sign a player - must be for the money usually followed by a ridiculous post saying he's on 20 grand or whatever.

Maybe it's just as the lad says he likes what Town are trying to do and has bought in to it!!

The only example I can give Keith is, A barrow lad went to Workington and was hailed as best full back in championship, that is until a DR player came in at full back, he was then hailed as best full back in championship, the barrow lad was moved to the wing. Now the DR player is not coming back, you're all saying to the barrow lad, sign for us, we didn't mean it you were the best all along.

alan athersmith

#23 Red Stripe

Red Stripe
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

We should hold a trials day for the local ametuers and see if Murray sees anyone he likes

I think Murray will have seen plenty of the local amateurs without the need for a trials day, apart from anything else what would you expect him to be able to tell from  such a brief viewing?

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#24 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hey up Lee, you're starting to sound like a Haven fan. That's always their craic when we sign a player - must be for the money usually followed by a ridiculous post saying he's on 20 grand or whatever.

Maybe it's just as the lad says he likes what Town are trying to do and has bought in to it!!

Keith it wasnt meant as a slant on Town or that you are willing to shell out more cash ... I just wondered why he chose Town over us especially with the trecherous Corney or Whicham valley drives 3 or 4 times a week and once pre season training starts it'll be the height of winter :ph34r: .... he obviously had his reasons mate. Good luck to the lad but hope he has off days when you play us ! ;)

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#25 topladtownie

topladtownie
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

The only example I can give Keith is, A barrow lad went to Workington and was hailed as best full back in championship, that is until a DR player came in at full back, he was then hailed as best full back in championship, the barrow lad was moved to the wing. Now the DR player is not coming back, you're all saying to the barrow lad, sign for us, we didn't mean it you were the best all along.

alan athersmith

Don't think that is completely fair,  BC has always been highly rated by Town fans, and one

of his strengths is the ability to play in a number of positions, so don't see what the big

problem was with getting SB in who was actually signed rather on DR.  The reaction

he got in the recent wc games playing in a different position at Derwent Park certainly

showed the high regard Town fans have for BC.

Good news for Town looks to be the fact that both Raiders and Haven look to be

gaining fullbacks, so hopefully BC will re-sign, unless super league comes

a calling, would be a big loss if he didn't sign.

#26 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

Don't think that is completely fair, BC has always been highly rated by Town fans, and one
of his strengths is the ability to play in a number of positions, so don't see what the big
problem was with getting SB in who was actually signed rather on DR. The reaction
he got in the recent wc games playing in a different position at Derwent Park certainly
showed the high regard Town fans have for BC.

Good news for Town looks to be the fact that both Raiders and Haven look to be
gaining fullbacks, so hopefully BC will re-sign, unless super league comes
a calling, would be a big loss if he didn't sign.

It looks like he might be waiting till after the World Cup to see if he can get super league before re signing but I think he definitely won't sign for us as we've got 2 fullbacks and 3/4 wingers

#27 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

My comments in reply to Keith, were supposed to be light hearted, I was side tracked from talking about trying to strengthen links between the raiders and the amateur leagues, but the links with the other Cumbrian teams is also important, there has always been a good
movement of players up and down the coast, and long may it continue.

alan athersmith

Edited by alba, 06 November 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#28 weststiger

weststiger
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

Could not agree with you more,but this is nothing new,its been going on since I was an amateur,in the 60s/70s,seems the senior club does not want to pay the worth of local talent,hoping they will come for a pitence,does not work like that any more.

#29 Furnessman

Furnessman
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

Must agree Raiders need to look at amateur clubs a bit more closely and not assume they are theirs for the taking. Used to be local pride in playing at Craven Park, last few years has seen that dissapear thanks to certain board members and coaches.

#30 Campeze

Campeze
  • Players
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:23 AM

I'm happy to build bridges with all local amateur sides. We've had a meeting re: have the juniors playing after a raiders home game.
Hopefully this will become a permanent feature in 2014.

Pete Murphy

Commercial Manager

Barrow Raiders RLFC

themurphstar@gmail.com

#31 Campeze

Campeze
  • Players
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:23 AM

I'm happy to build bridges with all local amateur sides. We've had a meeting re: have the juniors playing after a raiders home game.
Hopefully this will become a permanent feature in 2014.

Pete Murphy

Commercial Manager

Barrow Raiders RLFC

themurphstar@gmail.com

#32 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

That would be a brilliant start, lets face it we have a coaching staff with very strong links to the amateur game, which must be an advantage in the future,

alan athersmith

#33 Furnessman

Furnessman
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Before the appointment of Murray there was a lot of talk of building a side from the local amateurs who can play. On paper signings are looking good and I hope we will see some attractive rugby on the pitch. Hoping some of the individuals who have signrd are allowed to play there own game and lets see some flair on the pitch. Still think we a centre or two who can break defences. Hoping Raiders staff and board have a good look at the Cumbria side facing Lancashire on the 17th.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users