Bully syndrome - England?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

We need to change our mentality towards the Australians and stop making them out to be demi-gods on pedestals to be worshipped. I'm sure the likes of Vince Karalius, Alan Prescott, Dick Huddart, Brian Edgar, Johnny Whiteley, Mick Sullivan, Ike Southward, etc, wouldn't give them a second thought. Just go out there and beat them was their attitude.

The first 20 minutes at Cardiff we were on top but we always expect the Aussies to come back at us and this mental process puts us on the defensive and we start to ship points. A change to our mental attitudes is the first thing our players need.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#22 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,391 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

I think it is far too simple to suggest that they only beat us due to mental toughness. Sure it may be one element, but the reality is that they are a better Rugby team than us.

#23 dibbley

dibbley
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

I think it is far too simple to suggest that they only beat us due to mental toughness. Sure it may be one element, but the reality is that they are a better Rugby team than us.

ha ha yeah that as well.  

They have strength in depth where we barely have strength at all in certain positions.  

Someone has a quote from Jack Gibson in their signature, and it's bang on the money, talent is secondary to whether players are confident.  From somewhere our lot need to grow, and do the exact opposite of what every fibre in their knackered body is making them do when it matters.  

Thurston, Cronk, and Smith will see it and they'll take advantage.  We have to be mentally tough to find the strength to go up another level, and stay with them. Then they won't know what to do, and the realisation that we aren't rolling over might just occupy them enough for us to capitalise for once.  They'll have never been in that position before.  Especially those Queenslanders when did they last lose an Origin series? The Blues in their squad, they're used to losing when it matters.  

Please rugby gods just once, the rub of the green from the officials, some lucky breaks, and 17 English men having the game of their lives!  

Que the exit to NZ!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users