Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

OP1.23

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Shadwa

Shadwa
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

I've heard theirs a letter of apology been given to both wests and siddal from the ref. will either club be posting that on there sites? Would be interesting what he's got to say

#22 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

Sorry I guess?

#23 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

I think the NCL committee will play their Get Out Of Jail card, the game that Siddal forfeited wasn't on the fixture list until the shambles of the Siddal/West Hull game. As far as they were concerned they (Siddal) had a game the following Saturday if they won or that their season was over with a defeat.  They should not have been expected to play a game at such short notice and were within their moral and player welfare rights to refuse. The four club representatives on the committee should remember who they are representing and no further penalty should be forthcoming.

If the NCL do apply the normal penalties for match forfeiture then they will be driving a large stake into the ethos of the amateur game and should consider their future in the game.

Edited by once a ref always a ref, 04 November 2013 - 11:49 PM.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#24 barbara henderson

barbara henderson
  • Coach
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:07 AM

Let's hope that common sense prevails on this occasion, but IF the NCL do relegate Siddal - even though they can provide a reason to satisfy the committee - all the member Clubs should back Siddal 100% (and in that I actually include West Hull).  Member clubs hold the power on this occasion I feel, and we should not be frightened to use it.  Siddal are a fantastic Club and as such deserve our backing should the NCL chose to carry on with any sanctions whilst knowing the depth of feeling following this regrettable episode.  I await with interest the NCL's findings. :rtfm:

#25 cheesecretary

cheesecretary
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:46 AM

Slightly off topic but also with regards to non fulfilment fixtures are BDH also up for relegation for non attendance v Rochdale Mayfield?

The NCL need to use some common sense here, no 1 does not just turn up without valid reason as seen with both the Siddal and BDH cases seen this season?

As you say Barbara will be interesting see see outcomes.

#26 flatfell

flatfell
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Slightly off topic but also with regards to non fulfilment fixtures are BDH also up for relegation for non attendance v Rochdale Mayfield?

The NCL need to use some common sense here, no 1 does not just turn up without valid reason as seen with both the Siddal and BDH cases seen this season?

BDH never turned up at Wath Brow a couple of years ago and nothing happened !!!

#27 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

The NCL decided a replay was needed and informed the clubs is there anything in the rules about how much notice a club has to be given with regards holding a game.

#28 Guest_hairywombat_*

Guest_hairywombat_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

and Wath Brow didn't turn up at Dockers three or four years ago and nothing happened too. ;)

#29 smile

smile
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Sorry I guess?

you guess correctly

#30 flatfell

flatfell
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

and Wath Brow didn't turn up at Dockers three or four years ago and nothing happened too. ;)

That must have been the time when they had about a dozen or more players struck down with flu and every player had a sick note off a doctor and where told not turn up by the NCL committee
The 2 nd also could not play in the Cumberland cup the same day and got kicked out by CARLA

#31 thepimp007

thepimp007
  • Coach
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

We will be relegated unfortunately, really feel for siddal her although ours was for a completely different reason! I think with regards siddal I think it will be a very disappointing decision if they do get relegated, hope they get the rub of the green

Edited by thepimp007, 05 November 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#32 thepimp007

thepimp007
  • Coach
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

BDH never turned up at Wath Brow a couple of years ago and nothing happened !!!

The game was rearranged and was mid week! do you think we would leave ourselves needing to beat wath brow by 18 away to stay up! also knowing it was waths finest fan mark laing who was reffing we turned up on a tuesday fighting for our lives with a short side we started with 11 men who he wouldnt let warm up with 4 following in a car and arrived 10 minutes into the game! So if thats not turning up i dont know what is!

#33 cheesecretary

cheesecretary
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

We will be relegated unfortunately, really feel for siddal her although ours was for a completely different reason! I think with regards siddal I think it will be a very disappointing decision if they do get relegated, hope they get the rub of the green

Dissapointing as you say - times are tough for all clubs. 

How will the league structure work as potentially at the minute we could see Siddal & BDH relegated? Who would stay / move leagues in this situation?

Fingers crossed the teams get sorted as soon as possible and can work towards starting next season.

#34 Walter

Walter
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

It is bad enough that Siddal were being forced to replay the game at West Hull but if they do now get relegated as well it will be an absolute disgrace.

#35 flatfell

flatfell
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

The game was rearranged and was mid week! do you think we would leave ourselves needing to beat wath brow by 18 away to stay up! also knowing it was waths finest fan mark laing who was reffing we turned up on a tuesday fighting for our lives with a short side we started with 11 men who he wouldnt let warm up with 4 following in a car and arrived 10 minutes into the game! So if thats not turning up i dont know what is!

yes that's right you did come up midweek but Wath Brow did not rearrange the game BDH said they could not make the Saturday for some reason so the game was played midweek just the same as happened against Mayfield

#36 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Surely the NCL should have backed the Referee , apparently all three parties agreed to the golden point extra time . The original result should have stood and both clubs wrapped on the knuckles for not knowing the rules .

Did the referee receive any information from the Ncl Administrator re the procedures , our referee appointments officer does inform the refs of competition rules its not rocket science .

So are the NCL saying the ref made a mistake , could open a massive can of worms for future disputes .

#37 Rolly

Rolly
  • Coach
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

This is unbelievable - Siddal play 26 rounds of the season, win a play off game, then it's taken away from them through no fault of their own - Then could be relegated. You've got to feel for them.

#38 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

Well said barbara!!!

#39 Guest_hairywombat_*

Guest_hairywombat_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

Why can't they just get a points deduction, not that I agree with it of course? Other clubs have in the past.

#40 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

We shouldn't be talking about reducing the punishment, there shouldn't be any punishment.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users