Wow!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 598 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

Put TWO threads on the jam forum praising the support of Cumbrian fans to RLWC2013 games in cumbria and both quickly removed
Says it all lol.

That's poor, there is a lot of fans and people of copeland who were played allerdale saved the games for west Cumbria.

#22 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

Another fantastic day at DP, I hope the hard working individuals at Town had a couple of drinks last night to celrbrate what was a manificent occasion for the area. Well done to the West Cumbrian public for coming down and supporting both games, nearly 17k for the two games is incredible.
Let's not let a few churlish individuals from down the road taint this remarkable event, I'm sure there was a fair share of haven fans at both games who enjoyed it.

#23 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,260 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

I do wonder what that 'fan' from down the road who I debated with a few months back thinks now ... Remember the guy who wasn't fussed the games were lost , the expense saved , the fact he'd heard of hardly any of the players playing for these teams ... And most infamously , he'd rather watch Lowca !!

Edited by DavidM, 04 November 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#24 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

Was a good game and day a few weeks of us come through from haven and we had a couple of spare tickets which we give to a couple of old townies who where after tickets in the railway club give them away for nowt aswell thats what good lads we are

#25 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

Whoops, double post

Edited by Keith T, 04 November 2013 - 01:16 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#26 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 871 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

I knew there was more at the scots v Italy game than there was on Tuesday,the whole ground was chocca block and rocking and you could tell we had a full stadium.I wold like to congratulate the Workington town for getting the games to go ahead,and secondly Allerdale for their participation into the whole project,the rugby league for putting a brilliant show on both occasions for the huge crowds that turned up for the games,our vice chairman Mark fryer deserves a gut load of credit for making the stadium a credit to our game,and the whole show put on by the children and has keithT says the choir was awesome.Thankyou to everyone who took part in the whole concept, well done to you all.PS.9,200 full capacity. 

Posted Image

#27 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,260 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

It's just fantastic , and a privilege , to see these players and this standard of rugby in the flesh . We see these guys on the telly , but it's only we you see it , feel it , and hear it do you see the full effect , and how awesome they all are . It sends the hairs up on the back of your neck . You could hear the thump outside the ground as that kick was driven into Santi's head ,he staggered , fell over then got passed the ball for a hit up and charged it in ! To see Snowden , Laffranchi and Vaughan battering it in brutally , and Ian Henderson repeatedly chopping them down . To see Danny Broughs precision kicking , organisation and brain working . To see the Scots stop dead the Italian right on the line under the sticks with a shuddering tackle . To see the legend Minichiello playing , refereeing and being the brilliant pro he is . To see our lads more than playing their part .. And to see a hundred other highlights which mulled over in my head and kept me awake !!! We need more of this up here ... We deserve it .

Edited by DavidM, 04 November 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#28 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

You are right David, we do need more of this and we have the likes of Garry Scholfield in todays RLE, Kyle Amor on twitter etc all saying the same thing. Imagine if we could watch that calibre of player every two weeks.

Then again the same old naysayers will shout loudest and nip any momentum in the bud.

I was was proud to be West Cumbrian this last week cheering on a team from a different country along with workmates from ten miles south. The rugby was fantastic and the ground was rocking. It just shows what can be achieved in this corner of the country.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#29 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

You are right David, we do need more of this and we have the likes of Garry Scholfield in todays RLE, Kyle Amor on twitter etc all saying the same thing. Imagine if we could watch that calibre of player every two weeks.
Then again the same old naysayers will shout loudest and nip any momentum in the bud.
I was was proud to be West Cumbrian this last week cheering on a team from a different country along with workmates from ten miles south. The rugby was fantastic and the ground was rocking. It just shows what can be achieved in this corner of the country.

Even the Haven coach, Dave Woods was saying that there should be a SL club up here and said that the two clubs should be working together towards that.

However, we have heard this so many times from various sources, usually from people who have been involved in the game, not mere fans, and, as you say, the naysayers seem to always be the one's that are listened to by the clubs.

Edited by Keith T, 04 November 2013 - 05:11 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#30 pennington

pennington
  • Coach
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

I would like to say a very well done to workington for getting 17,000 for the 2 games. Brilliant effort !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users