Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

I'm on about it again

Winter.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Historical value

Historical value
  • Players
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

World cup, great games, great crowds, and in winter. Doesn't that tell you something.

#2 redbeckroad

redbeckroad
  • Coach
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

I don't think October and November were the part of "winter season" that people had a problem with.

#3 Sandspine

Sandspine
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

Nope. Its a world cup for christ sake. Summer, winter, Autumn or Spring it would still have been packed out.

#4 Sandspine

Sandspine
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

P.s ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

#5 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

FIFA World Cup, great crowds, great games, summer.

Does it tell you something? Yes, as with the RLWC it is played OFF season.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#6 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

I am a fan of winter rugby, but, come on this is desperate!

#7 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

im just a fan of rugby! could not give two flying ######s when its played, as long as it played!

#8 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 743 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:30 AM

I've got rosy memories of winter rugby but even though the WC has been played in Oct & Nov (autumn) hasn't the weather had a negative effect on almost every game so far?

#9 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

Agreed Bomballey.

Every other game has been played in poor conditions that have not sold the game as a spectacle that it can be.

Surely pitches that are dry and had the grass cut lets the backs get some speed and show their wares is what you would like to see.

The Fiji V Oz game was not great to watch because it was played in a cyclone and the teams could not display the talents they have at their disposal under those conditions, they ended up playing a conservative mistake riddled game.

Edited by boxhead, 04 November 2013 - 07:14 AM.

#10 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:46 AM

Oh dear.

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

Awwwwwwww bless him, there's one left.

Who woke him up by the way.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#12 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Great tournament so far, but I'm starting to forget what its like to watch a game in the dry so you can keep your switch back!

#13 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

No, you can keep your romanticised, nostalgic memories. summer rugby all the way for me.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#14 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

On Saturday, we played Denmark's first game in wintery conditions rather than summer.  It was just rain and a couple of months months from mid-winter.  Still, the rugby was compromised, the crowd attendence was down and takings per person were down as they did not stay as long to eat and drink. 

The players were more appreciated by the spectators than ever, but the consensous was that playing in winter was an interesting experiment that did not work and we are sticking to a summer season from now on.

Edited by Bob8, 04 November 2013 - 09:19 AM.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

I do hope that RLWC grows to a level that we will have the tournament in mid-season in 8-12 years.

It genuinely takes away from the spectacle that is RL and ruins the day out as a whole when it is really bad. We've actually been quite lucky so far, but we all know what happened in 2000!

They would only really need to play it in mid-season when it is here and France.

#16 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

I do hope that RLWC grows to a level that we will have the tournament in mid-season in 8-12 years.

It genuinely takes away from the spectacle that is RL and ruins the day out as a whole when it is really bad. We've actually been quite lucky so far, but we all know what happened in 2000!

They would only really need to play it in mid-season when it is here and France.

I agree but I can not imagine the NRL being put on hold for five weeks mid season.

I doubt the Clubs would want to play without there main players and the NRL media contracts would be an issue.

One of the best features of when England played in the winter was the amount of Australian players that joined English Clubs to play year round and the Tours that could be held with split seasons.

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

I agree but I can not imagine the NRL being put on hold for five weeks mid season.
I doubt the Clubs would want to play without there main players and the NRL media contracts would be an issue.

One of the best features of when England played in the winter was the amount of Australian players that joined English Clubs to play year round and the Tours that could be held with split seasons.

We need to change our mindset. This would only be required one year in 8 or 12. of course teams could play on using squad members like Union.

#18 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

We need to change our mindset. This would only be required one year in 8 or 12. of course teams could play on using squad members like Union.

I guess you are right, its a tough thing to work out with the game in the SH and NH on such different paths.

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

If you want winter rugby, cross the equator.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#20 Guest_hairywombat_*

Guest_hairywombat_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

I don't know what the fuss is about, since it changed to summer I haven't seen one game and I'm not interested in getting involved again, but that's

the way it is, but I've no intentions of coming on here moaning about it, just do your own thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users