TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

5/11/2013 World Cup Match 14 - Tonga v Cook Islands

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Will win?

1. Tonga by 13 points or more (6 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

2. Tonga by 7 to 12 points (7 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

3. Tonga by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Cook Islands by 1 to 6 points (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Cook Islands by 7 to 12 points (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

7. Cook Islands by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

discuss World cup Match 14 - Tonga v Cook Islands

K.O. 20:00

Venue Leigh Sports Village

Ref: Ashley Klein Vid Ref: R Silverwood Touch J: W Turley Touch J: M Thomason

Edited by amh, 04 November 2013 - 08:11 AM.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#2 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

A great honour for Leigh to hold a world cup game at the LSV and the town has really got behind the event with 10,000 tickets already sold

The Tongan team have made the town their home and the townsfolk have responded in kind. Should be an explosive start after the 2 'Hakas' and RL interest has be ignited in Leigh again.

#3 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

Good to see that ticket sales in Leigh are excellent for this game - should be a good atmosphere.

David Fairleigh has made four changes to his 17 for the game. Chris Taripo (Sydney Roosters) replaces Lulia Lulia on the wrong, Brad Takairangi switches to centre in place of Anthony Gelling, Jonathan Ford comes in at stand off and Eko Malu of NZ Warriors replaces Sam Brunton on the bench.

Basically, more NRL players in (though Ford plays for Toulouse).
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#4 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

I am looking forward to this one; I always enjoy my visits to Leigh but do wish it had a station nearer to save driving!

I think a Tonga win should be on the cards, but I've been wrong about plenty of games so far!!

#5 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

Wondered how long before there's no Rail link reared its head.... zzzz
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#6 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

But it is a problem.  LSV on Twitter tonight recommended people park in the Leigh town centre car parks and there is about a 15 minute walk then to the ground.  It'll be traffic chaos around there tomorrow night!  Relying so much on cars creates its own problems, problems a train station would have alleviated.  But that's our rail system for you.

Love the LSV though.  It's a great little stadium.

#7 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

It will be a nightmare though. I live about 4 miles away, and I might as well just walk the whole way.

#8 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

Sorry that my travel problems have bored you so much. 

#9 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:53 PM

But it is a problem.  LSV on Twitter tonight recommended people park in the Leigh town centre car parks and there is about a 15 minute walk then to the ground.  It'll be traffic chaos around there tomorrow night!  Relying so much on cars creates its own problems, problems a train station would have alleviated.  But that's our rail system for you.

It must be me because when I watch England at Wigan its a nightmare, at Headingley its a nightmare, at Elland Rd its a nightmare, at Wembley at Old Trafford etc

I will open a thread to help people spend less than 10 mins walking

#10 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Plenty parking at Retail park/Sainsburys on Atherleigh way - you also have pub, Sainsburys and Kentucky on this site - LSV is 5 min walk away

Parking should be open at LMR or in streets opposite it - again 5 min walk

1500 spots on site but these will go quickly - pub, Morrisons and Hotel on site at LSV with Leigh East also

Car Parks at Leigh CC and Leigh RUFC - 10 min walk and both have bars

Town centre parking all over the place - and I think its all free after 6pm - 10-15 walk to LSV or catch the bus from bus station

Frankie and Benny's, Chinese Buffet and Nandos on the Tesco complex in town with plenty parking 10-15 min walk

Spoons Thomas Burke is in the Good Beer guide and offers food, as do Yates, white Lion, Boars Head also good ales plus 20 other pubs all 10-15 walk

Some parking around Schofield street area also, 2 mins to ground

Robin Hood pub has car park, and does good food - 5 mins walk

Centurion and Brittania pubs are worth a stop off if walking from town to ground

Hope it helps

#11 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

Are you saying that parking at the Pie Dome for the 1/4 final will all be on site?..... or will the millions who travel by rail just have a 20 yd amble from both the Pie stations?

#12 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

Sorry that my travel problems have bored you so much.

Nah the Rail link just induces narcolepsy.

#13 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

It will be a nightmare though. I live about 4 miles away, and I might as well just walk the whole way.

Well I live on the opposite side of town, so in a similar position but I'm not making an issue of it.

#14 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

Will Sainsburys and Morrisons be happy to let their retail car parks be filled with rugby supporters vehicles, not a dig a serious point. They may turn a blind eye to a few when Leigh are playing but for a full stadium they may be a peed off if their customers can't get a spot.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#15 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

Is it a long walk from the station?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#16 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

Well I live on the opposite side of town, so in a similar position but I'm not making an issue of it.

No, you wouldn't would you. You only ever have anything to say when someone has a pop at Leigh.

#17 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

Will Sainsburys and Morrisons be happy to let their retail car parks be filled with rugby supporters vehicles, not a dig a serious point. They may turn a blind eye to a few when Leigh are playing but for a full stadium they may be a peed off if their customers can't get a spot.

I am sure if you ate at nandos then they wouldn't mind you using the car park, but all those areas are open mixed parking except morrisons but keep an eye on any notices with restrictions- plenty other town centre parking

#18 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

Is it a long walk from the station?

3-4 miles but regular bus routes

#19 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

Are you saying that parking at the Pie Dome for the 1/4 final will all be on site?..... or will the millions who travel by rail just have a 20 yd amble from both the Pie stations?

Loads of road parking around the Pie Dome.  At least there was when I last went.  A doddle.

#20 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:14 AM

As for the match ... this could be a cracker or it could be another physical mis match.  If the Cooks play as they did in Bristol then it will be a great game but if they don't put in the extra effort to keep the big Tongan boys at bay then it could be another blow out. 

I hope I make it to the ground on time.  I've never been to Leigh town centre so I could end up who knows where trying to find a parking space! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users