TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Open Letter to Mr. MacNamara

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

Mr MacNamara,

May I please make a plea to you on behalf and for the sake of the English Rugby League, my concern is of our progress to the final of this fantastic World Cup Tournament which we as the RFL, fans and paying public have the enormous pleasure in hosting.

It is quite evident that at the beginning of the tenure of your placement  you sought after creating a “club” situation of the International Team, this would allow you a benefit which no previous manager/coach had ever had or experienced before, enabling you regular get togethers to have team bonding, tactical seminars, game awareness and instil discipline.

I for one was very enlightened when you made the statement that the team was going to be based on form and that would be the main criteria of selection, I was also a little amazed at that time that you also deemed it necessary to nominate a captain, but I could see the value in you requiring a General, an intermediary who would have the ability to get your tactics and strategies over to your players, whether in real game time or as your eyes and ears in other situations.

So 3 years ago you started out on our behalf to prise the ultimate prize, the Rugby League World Cup away from the Antipodeans to our shores. You began with a line of attack that was based around the Half Back combination of 6 and 7 who would deliver your scheme’s and tactics to benefit of all, it was put to the test in the 4 Nations Tournament of 2011 and it transpired that the combination of Messer’s Sinfield and Chase may not be the pairing or individuals that would show the benefit of your game plans, we still have the same incumbents in these positions and the passing of time has not improved matters for you.

Mr. Sinfield has got a little older already being the wrong side of thirty (at the outset) and has got quite noticeably slower, whilst he would probably be the first to admit that his domestic form as not reached the standards of previous campaigns, and dare I say it Not in Form, also Mr. Chase will never be that structured team player you want him to be, his worth is in the unexpected when he himself does not seem to know what he is doing.

We are now part way through the opening group games and it comes as no surprise to any one that the teams with quality 6’s & 7’s are the teams that have had a structure to their play, Australia have even the advantage of Thurston/Cronk or Thurston/Cherry Evans, New Zealand have Foran/Johnson, Scotland have Brough/Wallace, even the USA with Paulo/Preistly and Italy with Falcone/Ghietti are performing better for the benefit of their teams than your half-backs.

I for one am all about sticking to one’s principles, but what sets humans apart from any other animal life form is the ability to reason, reasoning enables us to realise what is not right and having the ability to rectify, so before it’s to late stand back, look strongly at the evidence before you, stop being unyielding, employ the tools at your disposal, and lets win this thing.  

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#2 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Is it too late in the day now to drop the incumbents, and bring in Matty Smith and Jonny Lomax?

#3 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Do you think he will read it?

#4 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

The die is cast and the best that England fans can do is get behind the players selected.

This is most likely Sinfields last International campaign win or lose.

Edited by boxhead, 04 November 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#5 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

Awsome. This thread again.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#6 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

You say that "the best teams have structure". England have structure - arguably too much.

Sinfield is going to be in, no matter what. McNamara's job will be on the line if the team fails. Get behind them and save the "I told you so" stuff till after the semi/final (delete as appropriate)
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

It's certainly the most polite take on this issue I've seen, credit to Gary for that.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

Awsome. This thread again.

Maybe the same topic, but do you not agree that we are far behind those half backs mentioned, and I did not take it further with a supposition of what went on in that conversation with MacNamara and Danny Brough, if Brough said he did not consider himself to be a lesser player than others who might get the nod over him, he was dead right.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#9 UxbridgeBunny

UxbridgeBunny
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

I'm fed up of reading stuff like this and find it a prime example why a largish minority of rugby league fans are the least supportive of their own sport than any other sports fans I can think off. I'm not for one second saying McNamara has not made mistakes and that there arnt better coaches around, however a lot of the opinions are completely over the top about a guy I really believe is trying his absoulute best to improve the English national team. In this world cup so far we have given Australia a game, and but for matters beyond the coaches control (players dropping ball and slightly dubious ref decisions) may have done even better. Ireland were blown away in a 15 minute spell and England could not not have been expected to have done much more. England have looked infinitely better than at the 2008 world cup. For people to suggest that the Scots, italian and American halves are all better than the English is idiotic at best. Now is the time to get behind the boys, if the games own fans can't how can we ultimately expect the nation to do so? Any criticism of the coach really should wait until the dust as settled on this world cup

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

May I please make a plea to you on behalf and for the sake of the English Rugby League,

No you may not...and certainly not in my name.  It might be polite, but  it is  still wrong. At least you haven't sent it to him!  Tell me you haven't..please!

Edited by JohnM, 04 November 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#11 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

<p>Why would you write a letter to a stranger and not even take the time to spell their name properly?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>If you can't get that bit right I don't think I'll waste the rest of my time reading what can only be incoherent drivel.</p>
People called Romans they go the house

#12 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

Can people not see what Sir Kev brings to a game? Yes I agree loose forward a better option for him or maybe even a replacement hooker. The people that can appreciate or who have even played a game amongst ya will know exactly what I mean.

#13 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

I sometimes wonder why the majority of people on here bother visiting this forum.

If the OP is not allowed to voice his opinion, in the hope that it will generate debate, then what is the point of a forum? Does anyone know what forum actually means?

So, as usual, a poster voices his opinion, and the immediate reaction is for him to be lambasted by the usual suspects with "No you can't, it's too late, get behind the team that's been picked, blah, blah, blah"

The guy didn't say he wasn't behind the team, he was voicing the opinion that the team could be better, and he has every right to do that. To just dismiss him with "You are wrong", kind of defeats the object.

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

That may well be so, but it seems to me that the object was to  pretend that he'd written to McNamara on behalf of everyone, though he clearly hasn't.    If he has an opinion to express, then why not just  express it...no one is stopping him.

He has no right to " make a plea to you on behalf and for the sake of the English Rugby League." 

#15 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

Having his opinion questioned is not the same as him not being allowed to have an opinion.

Personally I think his open letter to the England coach is frankly laughable and a tad arrogant that he thinks he knows whats best for the game of RL.

#16 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

Having his opinion questioned is not the same as him not being allowed to have an opinion.

Personally I think his open letter to the England coach is frankly laughable and a tad arrogant that he thinks he knows whats best for the game of RL.

His opinion is not being questioned, it is being dismissed.

Dismissing his opinion by coming up with a reasoned argument is one thing. Just saying "Go away" is another.

I actually think that your dismissal of his opinion as laughable is far more arrogant than he was being.

#17 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Complete garbage.  Seriously, that letter is laughable, I hope you didn't waste Steve's time by trying to get him to read it.

#18 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Well unsurprisingly, I believe that the letter ought to be sent to MacNamara and as soon as possible, why? Because to every degree it is correct.

He, the Coach, pointedly made known that the players he selected would be those in form, he has not done so. Even Leeds fans will and have conceded that his Captain has been out of form and not just for one or two games either but a large part of the season past.

The point on the halves running a game is indisputable and England are, through the coaches intransigence persisting, after numerous failed attempts with the incumbents who are NOT delivering the desired successful half back partnership. That also is very evident whenever they do or have taken the field for England, or am I wrong to with that estimate?

The USA have been a revelation because of Paulo and Priestley, Scotland have done brilliantly through Brough and Wallace combining so well, as for NZ and OZ no elaboration at all is neccesary over the halves they field and the involvement they express together.

I too would gladly see any of those combinations taking the field for England at the expense of Sinfield and Chase. 

I agree with Simmo, those name calling and claiming that things of this nature should not be stated in the interests of.....well whatever, loyalty?......This is often used by those in the know :sleep:  but that is not at all the case here. Mac has like the rest of us witnessed the ineffectualness of his chosen halves, repeatedly, he alone has the power to change the combination and if he wasn't so determined to not be proven to have made a whopper of a mistake, then surely he would.

Sinfield is without argument the slowest half on view bar none in this comp, even with the advantage of an interception on Saturday he could make no more that 10 to 15 yards, he looked as though he had a pair of waders on and was running through treacle, if that for all the doubters is a credential that still qualifies him for Rugby League at this standard then, you must all be very easily pleased.

What as someone stated " you just do not realise what Sinfield brings to a game" is not that accurate when relating to this level of the game.

In S/L I would agree that he does have qualities that are good for his team, however his International standing isn't quite so pronounced and the methods he utilises and his pace, are quite simply not up to the standards required to outplay those in opposition to him. It his not his fault entirely and Mac should be coach enough to realise it and for the sake of the team and the game. change it before it is too late.  

#19 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,638 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

I think and hope McNamara will be too busy to read it.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,638 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Mr MacNamara,

May I please make a plea to you on behalf and for the sake of the English Rugby League, my concern is of our progress to the final of this fantastic World Cup Tournament which we as the RFL, fans and paying public have the enormous pleasure in hosting.

It is quite evident that at the beginning of the tenure of your placement  you sought after creating a “club” situation of the International Team, this would allow you a benefit which no previous manager/coach had ever had or experienced before, enabling you regular get togethers to have team bonding, tactical seminars, game awareness and instil discipline.

I for one was very enlightened when you made the statement that the team was going to be based on form and that would be the main criteria of selection, I was also a little amazed at that time that you also deemed it necessary to nominate a captain, but I could see the value in you requiring a General, an intermediary who would have the ability to get your tactics and strategies over to your players, whether in real game time or as your eyes and ears in other situations.

So 3 years ago you started out on our behalf to prise the ultimate prize, the Rugby League World Cup away from the Antipodeans to our shores. You began with a line of attack that was based around the Half Back combination of 6 and 7 who would deliver your scheme’s and tactics to benefit of all, it was put to the test in the 4 Nations Tournament of 2011 and it transpired that the combination of Messer’s Sinfield and Chase may not be the pairing or individuals that would show the benefit of your game plans, we still have the same incumbents in these positions and the passing of time has not improved matters for you.

Mr. Sinfield has got a little older already being the wrong side of thirty (at the outset) and has got quite noticeably slower, whilst he would probably be the first to admit that his domestic form as not reached the standards of previous campaigns, and dare I say it Not in Form, also Mr. Chase will never be that structured team player you want him to be, his worth is in the unexpected when he himself does not seem to know what he is doing.

We are now part way through the opening group games and it comes as no surprise to any one that the teams with quality 6’s & 7’s are the teams that have had a structure to their play, Australia have even the advantage of Thurston/Cronk or Thurston/Cherry Evans, New Zealand have Foran/Johnson, Scotland have Brough/Wallace, even the USA with Paulo/Preistly and Italy with Falcone/Ghietti are performing better for the benefit of their teams than your half-backs.

I for one am all about sticking to one’s principles, but what sets humans apart from any other animal life form is the ability to reason, reasoning enables us to realise what is not right and having the ability to rectify, so before it’s to late stand back, look strongly at the evidence before you, stop being unyielding, employ the tools at your disposal, and lets win this thing.  

well you aren't doing it on my behalf old cock

don't be so presumptious.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users