Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Open Letter to Mr. MacNamara

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#121 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,040 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

Maybe naively an 80 minute performance from England as we don't get too many. Several players switched off in the second half. We can't keep blaming the conditions as all the teams have to put up with them.

Am I correct in thinking that  means you wanted them to score more points?  

#122 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

Oh no, you've really gone and done it now.

I'm off to hide behind the sofa.

Grow up.

WHOOPS

Grow up.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 06 November 2013 - 11:12 AM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#123 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

I presume you must mean the last few years of an injury ravaged Sculthorpe,

Sculthorpe in his prime was head and shoulders better than Sinfield

Your opinion differs to mine,as it should,after all that what forums are about.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#124 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

Am I correct in thinking that  means you wanted them to score more points?

Possibly, but not necessarily. In the second half, against an ordinary Ireland team, they didn't look like a team that would worry Australia or NZ, and, you never know, points difference could come in to play if we lose to Fiji!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#125 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

Possibly, but not necessarily. In the second half, against an ordinary Ireland team, they didn't look like a team that would worry Australia or NZ, and, you never know, points difference could come in to play if we lose to Fiji!!

And what was different about the team structure for around 30mimutes of the second half ;-)

#126 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,040 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

The objective in rugby league is to score more points through tries, goals and field goals (also known as drop goals) than the opposition within the 80 minutes of play.  see here: http://www.sarugbyle...UGBYLEAGUE.aspx

Picture this: England played 25% better in the second half by scoring 25% more points and winning 52 -0. A likely consequence would have been to awaken the Kraken:  yet another blow-out game. Can't be god for the game, farce shambles.

#127 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

And what was different about the team structure for around 30mimutes of the second half ;-)

Could that be Roby went off?

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#128 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

The objective in rugby league is to score more points through tries, goals and field goals (also known as drop goals) than the opposition within the 80 minutes of play.  see here: http://www.sarugbyle...UGBYLEAGUE.aspx[/size]

Picture this: England played 25% better in the second half by scoring 25% more points and winning 52 -0. A likely consequence would have been to awaken the Kraken:  yet another blow-out game. Can't be god for the game, farce shambles.

I thought England won 42 - 0 thereby only scoring 12 points in the second half. It's not always the points scored but the performance given and all I'm saying is that for whatever reason England didn't give a very good performance in the second half against a very poor Irish team.

#129 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,040 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

I was disappointed in the Irish team, too , but still fail to understand how England could have played better without scoring more points.  Better goal kicking might have resulted in nearer misses, that's true, but overall, fewer mistakes, fewer penalties, better kick-through etc would have only increased the score..otherwise it would not have been better.

#130 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

Could that be Roby went off?

And the halfbacks changed.

#131 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

And Roby's replacement could not make the line from 20 yards out with no one in front of him, 

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#132 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

I was disappointed in the Irish team, too , but still fail to understand how England could have played better without scoring more points.  Better goal kicking might have resulted in nearer misses, that's true, but overall, fewer mistakes, fewer penalties, better kick-through etc would have only increased the score..otherwise it would not have been better.

It seems that the England coach, who I am not an admirer of, is thinking along the same lines as myself.

http://sport.bt.com/...S11363847467658

#133 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Which says more about our set-up than anything else, when we take the hooker off the half-backs have to change!!!

Roby is our go forward player and when he went off Sinfield didn't give us the same go forward. That's not a dig at Sinfield just the way I saw it and if the coach is, as I'm sure he will be, sticking with Sinfield then he needs to have the other hooker in the squad McIlorum on the bench.

#134 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

Its not a fact though is it, that's the point, it is just your opinion.

The WC isn't even past the group stages and you have written us off even though we've played pretty well,  are you seriously suggesting that England are not trying to win this tournament - seriously?

I was referring to your facts Chris!

I have not written England off at all. For I believe we can do better with a change of personel in certain positions where we are at best uncompetitive with the best Nations and at worst downright out of our depth with the present half back duo.

I happen to disagree with your opinion that we have played so well. V OZ we competed for the first twenty minutes then the usual occurred, the Aussies outplayed us and scored 24!! unanswered points before in the latter stages we managed something of a comeback, not good enough to be finalists Chris on such a performance let alone win the cup.

The Ireland game proved as much as last seasons Tri comp, absolutely ###### all as an exercise it was a failure never mind as a useful indicator of how well we are playing. 

Regardless I am ingrained in the wood as an England fan and will no matter what be giving all the support I can that does not mean that I am confident with the present selected side though.

#135 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

GaryO - You're wrong.

In game 1, despite a relative lack of territory, it finished 5 tries to 4.

In game 2, england posted 30 points in circa 20 minutes. Has any team scored as many points yet in such a time frame?

It's become a cliche to criticise the england halves. It feels like it's all fans have done for the last 20 years, since we had the likes of Schofield, edwards, gregory et al.

England's problem, for some time has been the forwards. They always run out of steam (insert time here 50min, 60 min, 65min), they never manage to maintain a high intesnity for the full 80 minutes.

The problem in game 1 was the forwards, not the halves. They give silly penalties away and make errors. Not enough provide consistent hard hits ups. In game one, G.Burgess (who was one of our better forwards) made a mistake in midfield under no pressure. You simply can't give up field position that easy in test match footy against the best.

So england gift australia field position, and then lack the structure and decision making in defence to shut down the plays that australia put on. Remember the semi in 2008 against NZ? We constantly gifted NZ field position, NZ would move the ball down our right, with a 2 wave dummy runner and it was like a parting of the red sea, again and again. Naturally that defeat was all the fault of mcguire and the halves - ha!

My point is, it's incredibly bemusing for me to sit here and read someone bleating about sinfield and the halves again, considering the play we have witnessed in the first 2 games. Do you want me to go through a play by play analysis of england's first 2 games?

England's problem isn't sinfield or the halves.

So in your opinion we lost through dropped balls etc, didn't you hear the words that Thurston came out with when complained that HIS side had given too much possession away and would have to step it up in the second half? 

You talk as though the Aussies had an error free passage and that our forwards were never competeing. Well here I will say that our forwards did last the game out they had to. We had not a morsel of quality ball from the halves to the threequarters after that opening spell, ie, when the Aussies put the blocks on them.

They are pedestrian and simply not up to the standard required to pose problems for the Aussies or possibly this time NZ also.

#136 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

Grow up.

Grow up.

Lighten up.

#137 7723

• Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

England only scored in the second half after the halfbacks had changed.

#138 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

England only scored in the second half after the halfbacks had changed.

But scored the majority of their points with the starting halfbacks.

#139 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,040 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

It seems that the England coach, who I am not an admirer of, is thinking along the same lines as myself.

http://sport.bt.com/...S11363847467658

"Attack-wise against Ireland, we found some rhythm for a period in that game but we need to do it a bit more."

not "we needed"  but "we need" 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users