Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

08/11/13 - World Cup Match 16: New Zealand v Papua New Guinea

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. New Zealand by 13 points or more (14 votes [77.78%])

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

2. New Zealand by 7 to 12 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. New Zealand by 1 to 6 points (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

6. Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

Discuss World Cup Match 16: New Zealand v Papua New Guinea here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

NZ to win no idea of the score,but I will have been back in the country and home town Leeds for about 36 hours,hope I'm not too jetlagged.Really looking forward to it

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#3 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

Infiltrating the South Stand for this clash between two Rugby League authentics. The results not in doubt only the size of the Kiwi victory margin.  Still a PNG side oin the Queensland Cup shortly is a start

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#4 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:01 AM

Of the southern Hemisphere Minnows the Kumuls look least likely to trouble NZ.

Having said that they are the only Minnow side to defeat NZ in a test ( circa 85-86-87ish my memory is fading ).

I don't see them posing the same threat as Fiji will offer England.

This is one game where I will be cheering on the opposition ( PNG ) for my love of international footy they are my secound team.

GO PNG !!!!! hope you can take my Kiwi's scalp in a shock upset lads ....

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:08 AM

Having said that they are the only Minnow side to defeat NZ in a test ( circa 85-86-87ish my memory is fading ).

1986 according to wiki.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,204 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Will be watching this from behind the sofa. Surely PNG can't be as bad as they were against Samoa. I fear that we'll see the first 50 point plus score.

#7 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Will be watching this from behind the sofa. Surely PNG can't be as bad as they were against Samoa. I fear that we'll see the first 50 point plus score.

You could be right, but one thing the Kumuls do not lack is pride and passion (especially after the poor showing v Samoa).  I'd say NZ by 24 in a free flowing game.  looking forward to watching from the South Stand.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#8 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:09 AM

Sonny Bill Williams will return to action for defending world champions New Zealand and Kieran Foran will captain his country when the Kiwis take on Papua New Guinea.

Williams missed the Kiwis' second match against France at the Rugby League World Cup and is one of six changes to the team that won in Avignon to book their place in the quarter-finals.

Foran will lead the team for the second time, after doing the job against the Kangaroos in the Anzac Test earlier in the year, while regular skipper Simon Mannering earns a week on the sidelines.

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Frank Pritchard are also rested for Friday's match (Saturday morning NZT), with Pritchard given time to get over a few minor knocks.

"Frank has a cork above his knee and a bit of a sore ankle. I thought it would be best to give him a break," coach Stephen Kearney said.

Williams and Jesse Bromwich come into the starting line-up at Headingley while Elijah Taylor is promoted from the bench with Sam Moa taking his place in the replacements.

In the backs Manu Vatuvei, Dean Whare and Joss Hoffman return with Jason Nightingale, Kevin Locke and Krisnan Inu rested.

After the match every player in the 24-man squad with the exception of injured Thomas Leuluai will have featured in the tournament.

Team: Josh Hoffman, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Dean Whare, Bryson Goodwin, Manu Vatuvei, Kieran Foran, Shaun Johnson, Ben Matulino, Issac Luke, Jesse Bromwich, Alex Glenn, Sonny Bill Williams, Elijah Taylor.

Interchange: Sam Moa, Sam Kasiano, Frank-Paul Nu'uausala, Greg Eastwood, Jason Nightingale, Simon Mannering (two to be omitted).

NZN

Read more: http://www.3news.co....x#ixzz2juxT2sdt

#9 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

If PNG win and Samoa win then France are out

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

PNG will have to show some fight, or they might not get a very pleasant welcome home.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

Yes but I cannot see PNG beating New Zealand!

#12 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

PNG will have to show some fight, or they might not get a very pleasant welcome home.

I hope they take a page out of Fiji's notebook. Leave the big hits out of it and play controlled patient football.

Fiji hit Ireland in the traditional fashion , but then adapted to playing steady footy against Aussie , It worked out better for them than the big hits 40 + point hiding stuff.

PNG should play controlled agression , If your'e going to hit hard , hit low.

Otherwise I worry about this pressure thing that comes from worrying about how your fans will react.

It didn't help the Columbian Soccer team , getting shot up .....or in PNG's case chopped up...when you get home.... it's counter productive.

Edited by mt smart, 07 November 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#13 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Leeds have announced that over 16,500 tickets have been sold so far. Should be a great night!

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

This 100-strong "army of poets" is an unusual idea for pre-match build-up. I'd be interested to hear from anyone attending the game on how this went.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

That wouldn't be a bad thing, France deserve nothing.

#16 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

PNG have good Coaches and hopefully they have sorted out the problems from their last game.

#17 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

I'm going - can anybody help with regard to somewhere reasonable to park, not too far away as I am taking someone in a wheelchair.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#18 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

I'm going - can anybody help with regard to somewhere reasonable to park, not too far away as I am taking someone in a wheelchair.

Try contacting the club,they may be able to help.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#19 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

18,000+ crowd expected,looking forward to it.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#20 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

What's the weather looking like in Leeds?