Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

10/11/13 - World Cup Match 19: Wales v Cook Islands

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wales by 13 points or more (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Wales by 7 to 12 points (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Wales by 1 to 6 points (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Cook Islands by 1 to 6 points (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

6. Cook Islands by 7 to 12 points (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Cook Islands by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

Oh I don't know though. ..game on for sure.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#42 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#43 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

Game breaker.

#44 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Nice long range try to set up a big finish but what a lousy, lacklustre attempt by Evans for the last Cooks try.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#45 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Why couldn't Wales play this exciting every game?

#46 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

24-28

#47 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

Why couldn't Wales play this exciting every game?

I would say because they have been playing Peter Lupton from the bench in previous matches. Today he has played the full match and his organisation and passing got the Welsh on the move.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#48 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

Jesus wept, this Prem Sports interviewer is terrible...

Edited by JonNgog, 10 November 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#49 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

Ohh how iestyn must be wishing he'd started Lupton in the halves in all the games . But coaches get seduced by Aussie accents I'm afraid

Edited by DavidM, 10 November 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#50 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

Too little too late for Wales sadly.  They have played some really good stuff at times. I think they scored one of the best tries of the tournament in Cardiff.  But sadly they just haven't been able to iron out the errors and play consistently.  A world cup too early maybe?  Hopefully though they will keep on developing towards the next world cup.

#51 BringbackGB

BringbackGB
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

Some pride restored with the fight back, however, an extremely disappointing WC campaign.  I hope that future Wales internationals are played in North Wales given the greater interest in international rugby. 

:(

#52 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

Some pride restored with the fight back, however, an extremely disappointing WC campaign.  I hope that future Wales internationals are played in North Wales given the greater interest in international rugby. 

Some serious planning is needed or else they are going to get hammered in the future by any team who can find a number of heritage players in or around the NRL.

#53 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,554 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

Not great, by any judgement.

But we'll be back.

Thanks boys, see you next season.

Cymru am Byth!!

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#54 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

Real shame that Wales didn't play to their potential (I do believe they are better than their overall performances as they hinted at their abilities in each of their games).  Maybe the lack of experience hindered them both in terms of decisions made and keeping cool heads.  I'm not sure having such an inexperienced coach in Harris helped in that respect.

Still, mighty oaks from acorns grow or something like that.  There is no reason to believe that they won't develop over the next few years given the right level of investment, support and player opportunities.  That doesn't make up for the poor results this time around and it has been disappointing as they were one of the host nation teams but watching England disappoint on a regular basis means that this disappointment for Wales is far from the end of the road. 

#55 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

I was at the game and well it was very disappointing. I have seen the Scorpions play at The Gnoll before and you know for C1 it's very good. But it wasn't for this match.

We were pretty darn atrocious for the first half. It's not the lack of creativity or speed or whatever that annoys me it's the constant making of really really stupid mistakes. When you get a penalty a World Cup side is expected to reach the line, a World Cup side is expected to play the ball properly, a World Cup side can catch the ball when there is no pressure whatsoever, a World Cup side does not pointlessly kick the ball on the third tackle. We did all this in just 40 minutes.

Fortunately for the fans Wales actually played fairly well in the last 40 minutes. In fact they played 'good-enough-for-Quarter-Finals' kind of well. The crowd and the players were lifted by that but ultimately it was too little too late. 200 minutes of rather poor rugby followed by 40 minutes of good rugby (and I've seen all of our matches live).

I'm not gonna blame Harris for any of this. I just think there's a lack of cohesion in the squad compared to say Scotland or even Ireland. The one positive about us is that the squad are largely Welsh born-and-bred players. I was seated near the wife and family of one player and three mates of another!

Now the crowd, let's be honest, was pitiful. It was announced as 3,000. (In 2011, Neath got a crowd of 2,300 for a pre-4 Nations game versus Ireland.)

I genuinely thought this would be an easy sell-out. You've got the home team, you've got Sunday 2pm, you've got a ground the Scorpions play at, and furthermore Neath is not actually that hard to get to - it's on the main London to Carmarthen line and is near the M4. Really if you live in South Wales you can get there quite damn easily!!

I walked around Neath before hand and there was no promotion whatsoever. Absolutely nothing. Not a single poster, a single banner, a single notice. Nothing. Zilch. The Christmas lights were all up but sod all about a World Cup match happening in a town of just 20,000 people. I don't know whose to blame about that??

I've seen one bus in Swansea with sponsorship of this match, dunno whether there was anything in Cardiff. The fact is you cannot go to an area like this and get a 5,000 sell out if you don't advertise the match. Compared to Bristol it was embarrassing.

Other annoying gripes: the Family Stand had bird ###### all over the metal flooring at precise intervals at every intersection of the stand. Clearly some of the covers wern't on properly or it had been taken apart or something, and nobody had bothered to clear up the bird ######.

The cheerleaders were cheerleading in front of the crowd for the first 15 minutes and my god it was annoying. The stands are not raised so you really can't have ball boys/cheerleaders etc on the pitch. Luckily Miss Head Cheerleader took them away after 15.

The Premier Sports interviewer lady didn't know who the Cook Islands coach was!!

I feel sorry to her for having to ask stupid questions to players at HT but my god the responses she received where just head-in-hands phrases. This practice needs to stop now it's irritating and unprofessional.

The loudspeakers were ear-shattering. Both in how loud they were and in how grainy everything sounded. They never bothered to fade the music in and out, instead it was a simple Play and Stop process. I swear an old man next to me was having heart attacks after every try!!

Also saw no programme sellers. Just overall it struck you as being pretty shabby!!

Wales definitely need to do something for 2017. We've done a France, on home turf. This was a fantastic opportunity for rugby league in Wales - everybody likes a winning team - but they missed the boat big time.

So glad to hear though that Tonga won, and thus that Scotland are now through!!

Edited by ShotgunGold, 10 November 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#56 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

Time to take stock after the World Cup has finished. The crowd in South Wales today was really poor. Wrexham has always struck me as a better bet for expansion into Wales.

#57 3feathers

3feathers
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Please, Please, can we have a coach with a can do attitude. A coach that picks the right team.

Both Crusaders players were neglected but scored when they played. Roets scored twice at Wrexham, and twice at Neath. Yet he wasn't even picked for the Millenium.

Don't write Wales off - WE ARE better than this.

#58 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,554 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

No sour grapes, boys.

We are out.: -

- Come on Scotland! ... do it for the blokes who are nowhere near an England call-up

- Come on England! ... do it for Superleague

- Come on England, Australia and New Zealand! ... do it to show the RU trundlers and the broadsheet press up.

#59 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,851 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

Time to take stock after the World Cup has finished. The crowd in South Wales today was really poor. Wrexham has always struck me as a better bet for expansion into Wales.

Unless you're already there Neath isn't really the most enticing venue.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#60 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,554 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

The Welsh RU have never been other than passive-obstructive when supposedly promoting Challenge Cup Finals etc. So, I'd go for support from a soccer stadium and/or Pontypool RUFC (who are in long-term dispute with the WRU) to stage a game in South Wales

Merthyr has a 10,000 capacity and a new 3G pitch

http://www.pitchero....l#image=8930466

Mind you, they'd need extra guard dogs to look after the carpark during the game.

;)

Pontypool has a capacity of around 8000 and is possibly be the most picturesque rugby ground in Britain

250px-Pontypool_Rugby_Ground_-_geograph.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users