Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Law cup

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

gutted there wont be the traditional law cup fixture next season

#2 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

Very sad if it's not happening.

#3 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

I think that Hornets have made very clear the reasons why they do not want to play at Whitebank and Oldham have refused to move the fixture elsewhere. Its a pity as I always enjoy the fixture. 

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#4 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

it is a great pity. I can see Rochdale's point though. If their season starts in Feb then it would be a risk to play on Whitebank in a frosty January. They have been critical of the facilities as well which it's difficult to argue with. Would have been their biggest crowd of the season though!

One for all and all for the one

#5 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

Sad to say but *hitebank is really killing this club.  It must be costing us thousands in lost revenue.

#6 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

But what's the alternative with little or no funds? I'm sure the club are doing all they can to move things forward but money is hard to come by. Unless someone with loads of cash comes along! Surely Whitebank is better than no ground at all.

#7 higgy

higgy
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

But what's the alternative with little or no funds? I'm sure the club are doing all they can to move things forward but money is hard to come by. Unless someone with loads of cash comes along! Surely Whitebank is better than no ground at all.

Got to agree here Tosh at least we are not Nomads like we have been, people have short memories I can remember how glad everyone was when the news broke that we had got Whitebank.

One of the major problems for the club is the lack of revenue stream generated by home games (not enough) and the incurred costs in travelling the distance to away matches. As I have previously stated the RFL should look at the seasonal fixtures and ensure they are such that the clubs have regular home and away fixtures without the constant breaks that we experience last year.

We all know that we are not going to progress far in the cup competitions especially when the big boys come into the reckoning but we could do without the breaks in play when we are knocked out.

#8 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

I can understand both sides of the argument. Rochdale do not want to play at a sub standard venue, and Oldham do not want to give up home advantage due to lost revenue. I am sure that Oldham will get friendlies against other clubs. Another plus for Oldham is it was so easy to retain the Law Cup this year.

#9 higgy

higgy
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

Would have loved to see how we performed against them though, there is no such thing as a friendly against Hornets both teams would have been up for it.

#10 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 566 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

Maybe the hornets have a point!? BUT....... Maybe they now think they're too big a club to come to Whitebank!? Or maybe they're too scared, maybe they know that they'll get thrashed? Wouldn't do to be hammered by a team in the lower division now would it?

#11 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Maybe the hornets have a point!? BUT....... Maybe they now think they're too big a club to come to Whitebank!? Or maybe they're too scared, maybe they know that they'll get thrashed? Wouldn't do to be hammered by a team in the lower division now would it?

Be sensible. Irrespective of the score I'm sure they'd like to be able to shower off at the end of the game. As someone else said playing in sub-standard conditions in January doesn't make sense. You hang on to the trophy for another year.

I'll miss the game a lot but I won't miss going to Whitebank in the slightest.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 05 November 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#12 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

The Law cup was always played at both Oldham and Rochdale in alternative years. The last few years have been at Whitebank so its about time it was played at Spotland.

#13 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

The Law cup was always played at both Oldham and Rochdale in alternative years. The last few years have been at Whitebank so its about time it was played at Spotland.

it was played at Spotland the season just gone

#14 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

So it was. So they should come to Whitebank but its there choice.

#15 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 983 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

If CH really wanted the game he could have played it at Ashton, Sedgley Park or what about Saddleworth Rangers?

It's a shame it's not going ahead, Hornets v Biffs is the best game all year. I hope there's some sort of Cup game that includes us two.

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#16 oldhead

oldhead
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

If CH really wanted the game he could have played it at Ashton, Sedgley Park or what about Saddleworth Rangers?
You lot are deluded. I couldn't agree more that our ground is a dump but rightly or wrongly it meets RFL requirements . What will you do if you draw us away in the cup? If you don't want to come for the law cup don't come but don't try and say we should play it elsewhere .

It's a shame it's not going ahead, Hornets v Biffs is the best game all year. I hope there's some sort of Cup game that includes us two.

#17 oldhead

oldhead
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

You lot are deluded. I couldn't agree more that our ground is a dump but rightly or wrongly it meets RFL requirements . What will you do if you draw us away in the cup? If you don't want to come for the law cup don't come but don't try and say we should play it elsewhere .

#18 higgy

higgy
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Got to agree if the RFL have approved Whitebank even if it's not the best ground. What does it say about Hornets. that they are frightened to death about getting beaten by a team in a lower division, before they even try to prove they are worthy of promotion.

#19 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 566 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

Got to agree if the RFL have approved Whitebank even if it's not the best ground. What does it say about Hornets. that they are frightened to death about getting beaten by a team in a lower division, before they even try to prove they are worthy of promotion.

I agree. It's basically what I said but was effectively poo poo'd by Tyrone shoelace. But what goes round comes around...

#20 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 946 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

1. Why would the Hornets want to risk injuries on a hard uneven January pitch at Whitebank?

2. A warm shower (or even a shower) after the game is usually expected and attained at even the poorest amateur clubs. 

3. Chris Hamilton is a #$@er.

4. Hornets easily beat Oldham very recently I believe.

Is this the posting of a 6 yr old ? Coming on here calling People names is juvenile. At least ORLFC have their own ground and Chairman. I seem to remember that the 2010 Law cup was played at Mayfield as Hornets were thrown out of the ground. Any pitch will be frozen in January, Just look at the Football fixtures that are postponed when the cold snap comes. It's not that long ago that the pitch at Spotland was frozen in one corner because the sun hadn't got to it .

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users