TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Recent immigrants to the UK

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
170 replies to this topic

#1 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24813467

"Immigrants to the UK since 2000 have made a "substantial" contribution to public finances, a report says.

The study by University College London said recent immigrants were less likely to claim benefits and live in social housing than people born in Britain.
The authors said rather than being a "drain", their contribution had been "remarkably strong"

This is excellent news, and I hope it stops some of the scaremongering by the moronic press.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#2 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

This is excellent news, and I hope it stops some of the scaremongering by the moronic press.

I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you. 

http://www.dailymail...seeker-fly.html

<_<

Edited by Griff9of13, 05 November 2013 - 10:56 AM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,841 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

Apparently, immigrants from the previous 10 years are a net drain on the economy.

I don't know, but would suggest it possible, that:

-  a major proportion of the more recent immigrants have come over under EU right-to-work schemes ... Poles, Czechs, Slovakians etc ... who have earned a reputation for being hard workers.

- there is not a true net benefit from this influx, because the immigrant workers commonly work for lower wages than British workers ... who are thrown out of work (older workers) or not taken on (school-leavers). Thus the welfare state gets an increased burden from indigenous UK residents.

- the previous 10-year cycle included a greater proportion of 3rd World migrants who, in general,  tend to have larger families and a lower level of technical and social skills. I read somewhere that 80% of Somali immigrants don't work.

- the Government is keen to push the more recent statistic, and gloss over the earlier one, because it fears electoral dissatisfaction when a load of illeterate benefit tourists arrive next year from Romania and Bulgaria.

- there are 'Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics'.

- 'You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time'

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,532 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

I heard this on Today and it is far from clear cut. The immigrants they used gave a slight gain but something like 2/3rds were taking more out than put in.

#5 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

The problem is it seems you can't believe anything anymore when it comes to these reports. This report was on the news down here last night, and came in for a fair bit of discussion. One chap was saying that  the university that commissioned it  only took into account what they call 'economic migrants', ie those who had emigrated from one region to another for the purposes of seeking employment or improved financial position. (ie workers),  whilst another said that the report showed immigrants were less likely to receive benefits and council housing than people born here. 

One chap was saying it didn't account for illegal immigrants in the report and another was saying that an 'illegal immigrant' wasn't an 'immigrant' so they shouldn't be included anyway.

It seems that whatever point you want to prove, you can present a report to prove it.

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,841 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

It seems that whatever point you want to prove, you can present a report to prove it.

Hmm, a university report. I wonder who funded it, and set the terms of reference.

Surely, the government could have obtained the figures from the Dept of Work and Pensions, Shelter etc. Might not have got the answer it wanted, though.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

ravensthorpe is a far better place now than it was 30 years ago, I can wander round major cities without fear of pickpockets and organised crime gangs round every corner, my car insurance is much lower due to every car been insured, a visit to a and e is now as easy as a delightful breeze and unscrupulous landlords no longer snap up cheap housing to cram as many deluded workers in to one place thus making the area in to a pithole, immigration is great for us.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#8 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

Sorry but this little island is over crowded and I don't see much integrating from 3rd world/Eastern European's around my way unless it's kid's at school.

One thing has struck me and the North East i.e. Newcastle is the amount of African people living here in the past 10-12 years as I know there are a large number of them from the Congo/Gambia etc but a large number of the them esp the teenage/early 20's all seem to speak with a slight London/Home Counties accent and not a bit of broken english or Geordie in them.I often wonder if there has been a large migration from the Afro-Caribbean's from London. 

#9 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

Sorry but this little island is over crowded and I don't see much integrating from 3rd world/Eastern European's around my way unless it's kid's at school.
One thing has struck me and the North East i.e. Newcastle is the amount of African people living here in the past 10-12 years as I know there are a large number of them from the Congo/Gambia etc but a large number of the them esp the teenage/early 20's all seem to speak with a slight London/Home Counties accent and not a bit of broken english or Geordie in them.I often wonder if there has been a large migration from the Afro-Caribbean's from London.

I guess there may be some people others don't wish to integrate with.

Either they're African or Afro-Carribean. Make your mind up!

LUNEW.jpg

#10 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,153 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

See now, that's quite misleading.  This little island could easily double in population and we'd probably not notice that much if we were able to keep up with the infrastructure demands.  There's enough completely derelict and unused brownfield land to build enough houses for 4-5 million more people, and that's a very conservative estimate, some people say there's enough for 10+ million if it's used carefully.  Once you start getting into intelligent land use away from the south east then you could easily find similar quality of land that the south east uses to build on across the country and have enough for 30-40 million more people.  Even then, the south east of England is routinely called "full" yet if you look on the satellite images on Google Maps of the south east then you'll see that it's nearly all green except for that big blob called London.  You could easily lump in a few large towns in many places and not notice.  Even the densest parts of the London commuter belt are really just towns with many, many miles of greenbelt, non-agricultural land around them.  Not that I'd want us to plough over all that for new houses, I quite like all the nice greenery we have, that's just an aesthetic point of pleasure though.

Then there's the second part about integration.  A lot of people don't like those who look or sound different to them and really don't make them welcome, this isn't aimed at any one racial or cultural group, they're generally all the same in the number of prejudiced people they have.  I live in Ipswich and one of the things we love about the place is how integrated the place is.  For example, it's not an uncommon sight to see groups of kids of all racial groups hanging around together, I've never seen a place with so many mixed race couples.  The kids just don't seem to have been taught that "different skin colour = not one of us" as has happened in too many places and with all different races teaching their kids that message.  People think London's multicultural, it's not really, it just has a lot of different races in a confined boundary that often don't mix well together.

Finally, how do you know that these "African" people are foreigners?  They may well be thoroughly British and 2nd, 3rd, 4th or further generation British.  You don't have to be white to be British.

When most people say that the UK is overcrowded, what that often means is that they'd like fewer foreigners here and it's nothing really to do with the UK being over-crowded.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,532 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Bradford was far more integrated 30 years ago than it is today. This was before the Salman Rushdie affair of course and some Muslims pretended that women had to wear burqas etc.

#12 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

I guess there may be some people others don't wish to integrate with.

Either they're African or Afro-Carribean. Make your mind up!

I don't know but 20 years ago Newcastle didn't have hardly any African/Caribbean people but now there is seems a big population now and remind's me what London/Leeds/Manchester was 20 years ago but are the kids born from down south or are they the children whose parents came from African in late 1990's ? and as for accent it could be what every black/asian and even white kids do now sound's like Ali G.

#13 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

We'd probably not notice that much if we were able to keep up with the infrastructure demands. 

That is the key issue with overcrowding. The current infrastructure cannot cope; investing billions in this area on projects like HS2 et al still wouldn't solve the problem...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#14 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

I don't know but 20 years ago Newcastle didn't have hardly any African/Caribbean people but now there is seems a big population now and remind's me what London/Leeds/Manchester was 20 years ago but are the kids born from down south or are they the children whose parents came from African in late 1990's ? and as for accent it could be what every black/asian and even white kids do now sound's like Ali G.

I'd wager that most will have attained a level of written English that is at least equal to your own.

#15 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

I'd wager that most will have attained a level of written English that is at least equal to your own.

I wager that they like everyone else will also have there flaw's, even you Larry.

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

I think that is what he is complaining about.  :laugh:

Edited by JohnM, 06 November 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

See now, that's quite misleading.  This little island could easily double in population and we'd probably not notice that much if we were able to keep up with the infrastructure demands.  There's enough completely derelict and unused brownfield land to build enough houses for 4-5 million more people, and that's a very conservative estimate, some people say there's enough for 10+ million if it's used carefully.  Once you start getting into intelligent land use away from the south east then you could easily find similar quality of land that the south east uses to build on across the country and have enough for 30-40 million more people.  Even then, the south east of England is routinely called "full" yet if you look on the satellite images on Google Maps of the south east then you'll see that it's nearly all green except for that big blob called London.  You could easily lump in a few large towns in many places and not notice.  Even the densest parts of the London commuter belt are really just towns with many, many miles of greenbelt, non-agricultural land around them.  Not that I'd want us to plough over all that for new houses, I quite like all the nice greenery we have, that's just an aesthetic point of pleasure though.

Then there's the second part about integration.  A lot of people don't like those who look or sound different to them and really don't make them welcome, this isn't aimed at any one racial or cultural group, they're generally all the same in the number of prejudiced people they have.  I live in Ipswich and one of the things we love about the place is how integrated the place is.  For example, it's not an uncommon sight to see groups of kids of all racial groups hanging around together, I've never seen a place with so many mixed race couples.  The kids just don't seem to have been taught that "different skin colour = not one of us" as has happened in too many places and with all different races teaching their kids that message.  People think London's multicultural, it's not really, it just has a lot of different races in a confined boundary that often don't mix well together.

Finally, how do you know that these "African" people are foreigners?  They may well be thoroughly British and 2nd, 3rd, 4th or further generation British.  You don't have to be white to be British.

When most people say that the UK is overcrowded, what that often means is that they'd like fewer foreigners here and it's nothing really to do with the UK being over-crowded.

Agree with that.   Boston Lincs has something like a 15% East European population attracted by the agricultural work and wages ( £8+ an hour for manual field work).  This has had an impact on housing and schools where there has been no increase in Govt support ,which for Lincolnshire is already significantly lower per capita than almost any other counties.

I'd add into the mix the appalling state of housing provision in the UK, too, something that no govt has really ever got to grips with.

#18 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

8 years ago was in a club on a monday night and the place was full of black/african alongside and a few sad white 20 something's all acting Afro-American yet I went to watch Root's Manuva at the Sage a week or 2 later and apart from the act and a DJ it was full of white student types ???

The black kids in Newcastle are just like the slobbering Football fans and are just sheep.

#19 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

8 years ago was in a club on a monday night and the place was full of black/african alongside and a few sad white 20 something's all acting Afro-American yet I went to watch Root's Manuva at the Sage a week or 2 later and apart from the act and a DJ it was full of white student types ???
The black kids in Newcastle are just like the slobbering Football fans and are just sheep.

Skin colour seems to be important to you.

#20 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

Skin colour seems to be important to you.

Your wrong it's attitude and I would like to see these young Homie's alongside the white chav's etc that there is more to life then Snopp Doggy Dirt and Icey T etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users