Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Support, what support?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

When everyone and their dogs are talking about the huge success that is the Rugby League World Cup that has brought around £1 million in to the west Cumbria economy and attracted almost 17,000 to 2 games plus over 500 locals working their socks off to make it a success, why does our local rag choose to make their headline story about one anonymous dickhead who put a stone through the Scotland team bus window? He's got his 5 minutes of fame now.

News and Star hang your heads in shame.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

Well, the N & S do have a track record with regards to giving Town negative publicity.

Ideally they should have arranged to keep the coach in a more secure area, I'm sure one of the local businesses could have provided secure parking for a few free tickets.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#3 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

What a total Neanderthal . Should just ignore him , that's the best policy . This whole event has been a good news story , publicizing something like this takes it out of context . But then again good news ain't news ... Oldest truism in the book .

Edited by DavidM, 05 November 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#4 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

Its because the N&S journalists have aspirations to work for the highbrow daily's like the Star or Sport so when they smell a bit of a scandal they just can't resist copying a headline or two.

I agree Keith the editor should hang his or her head. If you read George Rileys blog when he was up here to commentate for BBC radio 5 live, Garry Schofield, or Martyn Sadlers pieces in the RLE etc etc. All of them pay the area huge compliments on both matches, yet the press in our own back yard choose to fill the front page with the headline of a broken windscreen on a bus. In a word - PATHETIC!!

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#5 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 821 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

Whos t say hes fra Wukinton, could be fra Mirhouse ass say, wudnt trust that lot ass say marra, the nows wat amean :biggrin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users