RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World cup legacy?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

The only legacy that the Olympics have left is that gold medallists have become millionaires and feature on adverts for banks
To imagine that the rugby league world cup's legacy will come within a light year of even that is a little fanciful
There will be benefits in terms of the sports image, credibility, and marketability and that's plenty to be thankful for

Don't forget the gold postboxes Frank.

#22 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

The only legacy that the Olympics have left is that gold medallists have become millionaires and feature on adverts for banks

That's quite a statement, Chris, and I'd disagree with it strongly. Many sports are still seeing a surge in participation at grassroots level almost 18 months on, both by adults and young people inspired by the games.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#23 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

That's quite a statement, Chris, and I'd disagree with it strongly. Many sports are still seeing a surge in participation at grassroots level almost 18 months on, both by adults and young people inspired by the games.

I hope in wrong
But it seems to me that the main benefit of all that investment, much of it unusable for ordinary members of the public has been the enrichment of a few elite athletes
If rugby league gains something towards the respect it deserves, the sponsorship that seems to elude it, and more government money then I'd be fine with that and I think it's realistic

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#24 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

I hope in wrong
But it seems to me that the main benefit of all that investment, much of it unusable for ordinary members of the public has been the enrichment of a few elite athletes
If rugby league gains something towards the respect it deserves, the sponsorship that seems to elude it, and more government money then I'd be fine with that and I think it's realistic

It's not a well publicised story, TBH. The media focuses on the negatives of Olympic legacy and often it's all about the athletes. You never hear about some sports doubling their participation off the back of the games. Legacy isn't about the athletes; it's about establishing infrastructure, growing participation and realising opportunity.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#25 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 8,992 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

I hope in wrong

Most of the Olympic sport profit most not from the one-off, but from being in the Olympics every time.  Hopefully, rugby league will have regular, well organised world cups will will amount to a major asset to the game.

#26 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

Legacy isn't about the athletes; it's about establishing infrastructure, growing participation and realising opportunity.

Again, cracking post and completely agree. The domestic legacy for our game shouldn't be just trying to boost club attendances; that is just a bonus if it happens. What really needs to happen is more people playing the game at grassroot levels as this will wider the player pool, increase funding from Sports England et al and have a much wider impact on the game rather than a few extra quid ending up in the pockets of the SL clubs.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#27 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

The short term effect will be positive and there will be a little more money.  It will give a small boost to the game, particularly in nations like Samoa and Cook Islands.

However, this would only be short term and the long term establishment of the international game is vital.  Hopefully, this will be a legacy.  It will demonstrate that the international game is profitable and good for the clubs.  We always get far better coverage and interest for international, but many people manage to convince themselves otherwise. 

Bang on. While the World Cup has been great so far I think there's still room for cynicism and precaution.

Let's not forget that Rugby union was apparently flying high after the 2003 world cup in Australia. It's not any more. Maintaining even a fraction of the interest, attendances and positivity we're currently receiving will be a very difficult task.

#28 Crunchers Dad

Crunchers Dad
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

Some excellent posts on here.
Jonty, you were busy today with those ideas and framework!
The only problem we have, when it comes around to the International game is Australia. They have a serious lack of forward thought of 'a The Bigger Picture'. They are so dominant, that your thoughts on the expanded club formats and a structured International programme, would be a hard sell to them.
They have always bleated on that nobody is interested in League once their season is over. Well we have shown that in this World Cup, that we are and other countries are.
The best thing for the international game, is if they get beat again. Then we can start to bargain in a strong position and get the game back on track.
Hopefully this WC has laid the ghost of 2000.

#29 wirecab

wirecab
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

Jonty- Excellent posts

You are spot on with how RL is perceived in your area and a successful local team is key. As you can guess I'm from the heartlands but have lived all over the Uk and recently worked near Iffley Road at Garsington so applaud Oxford's efforts.

The key to youth teams is success of a local outfit. As you can see from my Avatar I support youth rugby and in Warrington there has always been a base but I've noticed over the past few years a new vigour that builds on the Wolves success (or failure at OT). Even so the teams that our youth teams have to beat are the Wigan and St Helens* ones that treat the whole game seriously from U7's onwards. I can't speak for t'other side of the Pennines but i'll bet it's the same near Leeds. Kids look to their heroes, so we need strong representation away from the M62. The Bronco situation makes me sad and I wish the Skolars well, but we need concerted youth effort in these areas (and Oxford) . Welcome Toulouse! If the kids are interested then the parents follow.

I love this game and every little thing that raises the profile is welcomed (Emirates sponsorship! Doctor Who-kash! We're heading in the right direction) Shout from the roof tops just how good the RLWC is. It will give us a temporary boost but the grass roots need to spread and this comes from youth development with parental support.

Let's all get out and shout about the legacy- I said to a Scottish former amateur RU player at work today that I needed to get back to watch Scot-USA. His reply- "I didn't know we had an RL team. Where do they play at home in Scotland? and wait for it ........................is the RL pitch the same size as an RU pitch!" We have a long way to go.

Edit * Waterhead from Oldham are pretty good too- Sinfield, McDermott, Harris- say no more!

Edited by wirecab, 07 November 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#30 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

kick on from the world cup on the international front as things in the broadcasting rights are going to get interesting over the next 5-10 years if the reports are true about BT paying £1b for champion league rights.

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#31 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

It looks like some work has started in Huddersfield and Kirklees on building a legacy from the World Cup.

http://www.examiner....y-rugby-6287413

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users