Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Indian mission to Mars

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

That won't be cheap. Would the money not be better spent on improving some of the living conditions of some of their people?

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:01 AM

That won't be cheap. Would the money not be better spent on improving some of the living conditions of some of their people?

That comment shouldn't really be unique to India.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,473 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

Remarkably it's only costing £45 million. You can't solve that many problems in a nation of over a billion with that amount of money.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#4 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

Yes, I thought that as I typed it. However I think the scale and nature of some of the poverty and health related issues in India are much wider than they are in the US for example.

#5 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

Remarkably it's only costing £45 million. You can't solve that many problems in a nation of over a billion with that amount of money.

It's not remarkable, it's unbelievable. 

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

Many people in India don't have electricity, its a vanity project.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#7 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,473 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

It's not remarkable, it's unbelievable. 

Unmanned space travel is relatively inexpensive and India is a low-cost economy. If the Indian Space Agency continues to complete missions like this then the benefits are obvious: there will be a greatdemand for a reliable and inexpensive space operator.

And, although getting to Mars is relatively complex, and even successful insertion into orbit isn't guaranteed, the probe won't be carrying very expensive equipment, keeping development costs down.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,085 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

Unmanned space travel is relatively inexpensive and India is a low-cost economy. If the Indian Space Agency continues to complete missions like this then the benefits are obvious: there will be a greatdemand for a reliable and inexpensive space operator.

And, although getting to Mars is relatively complex, and even successful insertion into orbit isn't guaranteed, the probe won't be carrying very expensive equipment, keeping development costs down.

how worthwhile will India's contribution be considering the other Mars projects that have been undeway for years?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#9 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

How many other countries are sending missions to Mars?

#10 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

Not sure about Mars specifically  or for that matter how many have space programs:

European Space Agency - There are some pretty deprived parts of the EU (Berkshire for instance).

Russia - There are some pretty big issues there too

USA - Huge underclass, widespread poverty and illegal migrant worker issues

India - Millions in poverty.

North Korea - no issues there, seems pretty stable

Any more?

Edited by Larry the Leit, 06 November 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

I think it said on the radio that there are four including India. China and the US were two of them.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#12 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Why are we sending aid to India, when they have money to spend on a space race to Mars. Can we have our money back please. Or will we get cheap tickets to the moon.

#13 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Why are we sending aid to India, when they have money to spend on a space race to Mars. Can we have our money back please. Or will we get cheap tickets to the moon.

I was just thinking the same! why do we send aid, when they can waste money on space projects? unreal

#14 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

This is the debate that I wanted to get to.

Isn't the problem here that if we say to the Indian government that we'll stop the aid unless you act responsibly, then they'll say so what and just carry on building space rockets an innocent people will continue to suffer.

It's completely counter intuitive to send money to people who are building space rockets whilst a good chunk of their people live in abject poverty, but maybe it's still the right thing to do.

• ckn likes this

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

This is the debate that I wanted to get to.

Isn't the problem here that if we say to the Indian government that we'll stop the aid unless you act responsibly, then they'll say so what and just carry on building space rockets an innocent people will continue to suffer.

It's completely counter intuitive to send money to people who are building space rockets whilst a good chunk of their people live in abject poverty, but maybe it's still the right thing to do.

It's even more simple than that.  Those that have in India don't care about those that don't.  If all charities and aid pulled out of the poverty stricken and desperate areas of India then the government would shrug and just hope the corpses of the poor people didn't inconvenience anyone who really mattered.  Some people acknowledge the problem, most just really hope the poor people leave them alone.

My wife's aunt lives in Mumbai, she told me once that if the rich of India were offered a choice between a free lunch for one day for them or feeding the poor of the entire country for a year then the greatest majority wouldn't think twice before asking for the lunch menu and haggling for a free dinner as well.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#16 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Of course with the speed the Indian economy is growing and the potential investment been lured to the UK, our government will also turn a blind eye. We aren't clever enough to understand.

#17 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

Of course with the speed the Indian economy is growing and the potential investment been lured to the UK, our government will also turn a blind eye. We aren't clever enough to understand.

I actually don't think our Government care about the suffering of the underclass in India or anywhere else to that matter. What our Government care about is allowing British business opportunities to utilise the labour market in India, buy and sell goods in their market, and exert some influence with the Indians. It is the same with other countries around the world. I think people are pretty naive to think our overseas aid budget utilised by any British Government is really to help the poor of the world. Sounds horrible but I don't think I am too far from the truth.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#18 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

I was just thinking the same! why do we send aid, when they can waste money on space projects? unreal

to keep em on our side when it all kicks off with religious war

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#19 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

I actually don't think our Government care about the suffering of the underclass in India or anywhere else to that matter. What our Government care about is allowing British business opportunities to utilise the labour market in India, buy and sell goods in their market, and exert some influence with the Indians. It is the same with other countries around the world. I think people are pretty naive to think our overseas aid budget utilised by any British Government is really to help the poor of the world. Sounds horrible but I don't think I am too far from the truth.

Absolutely, aid is not an altruistic act but oiling the cogs of international trade, commerce and diplomacy.

LUNEW.jpg

#20 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

Absolutely, aid is not an altruistic act but oiling the cogs of international trade, commerce and diplomacy.

Essentially a subsidy for those that need it the least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users