Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Supporters run club

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

It seems that the end may well be in sight for the once mighty Lions. Would it be worthwhile having a meeting about the possibility of starting a supporters run club, or taking over the running of the lions. It may mean starting again in the lower leagues, but anything is better than not having a Lions at all.

Views please.

Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#2 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yes, absolutely, if only to ensure that there is a group of people there to assist the "owners" if the situation worsens. Clubs at this level can be sustainable if they are managed properly and accountable to the people that they claim to represent.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#3 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

We need to hear what any potential investors have to say first! I don't think anyone wants to see us a a feeder club to Salford,If Koukash is involved we need to hear his plans.

#4 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

Do you mean like a fc utd setup barnie? I would be up for that but I bet a lot of work is involved. I don't want someone Owning us who owns the ####, I don't care how much money he pumps in.

I would not be the scums ##### for anyone. can you imagine all the stick them lot would give us if they owned us.

#5 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

Let's keep all our options open and on the table for the time being.

:tease:

#6 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

http://www.supporter...ial-performance

Any news off the current owners the kidds yet?' Any news on a squad?, Any news on a ground?, What have last years squad heard about signing for the upcoming season?, I tried looking on the net and seems like nothings happening, all very worrying, im like others in thinking an fc united type reborn swinton lions will be the way to go, and in my book run on the business model of the german bundesliga clubs where the fans own the clubs, I E 50% + 1rule and they are run for the long term benefit of the club and its fans.

#7 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Let's keep all our options open and on the table for the time being.

'On the table' Keith? So far everything has been 'under the table'!

:tease:

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#8 DaveButt

DaveButt
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

Have a word with the Hornets board, I'm sure they will help you out and point you in the right direction.

It has taken a few  years to get success but look where they are now.

Swinton like Hornets must survive, I hope everything works out for you lads, I have a great soft spot for your club

#9 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

I would hope the Supporters Trust are planning along these lines as I would have thought the continued survival of the club was very much part of what the Trust is about.  I did ask in another post if they had made any moves to speak with the Kidds about the current situation but there has been no information forthcoming.

The recent emailed report and request for subscription renewal I recieved as a Trust member was an interesting summary of what the Trust have been involved with over the past year but cast no light on the present situation.  Do regular meetings still take place and are the Club ever represented at the meetings?  For those members who can't attend meetings the occasional report on what happens would be great or are the Trust following in the Club's footsteps and keeping everything as a closely guarded secret?? 

Edited by dummy scissors, 06 November 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#10 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

Time must be running out surely if we are to have a team for 2014.Most clubs are back in training yet we have no announcement regarding players for next season.

#11 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

I am new to this forum but have been following closely via these forums this situation at Swinton Lions.I also admit for a variety of reasons I have not been for a long time,most of which are personal reasons and will remain so,but part of the reason is down to the people over the years who have managed or should I say mismanaged this once proud club,they gave and give me no confidence at all.

That said I think firstly it has to be seen what the plans are by these potential new investors,but I think at the back of peoples minds must be that a similar situation to that of Wimbledon may well be unfolding here when they did the dirty on their fans and moved to Milton Keynes,and yes I think that the time may well be coming that the ONLY way for Swinton Lions RLFC to survive is for the fans to do an AFC Wimbledon or FC United and set up a new fan run club.I would support this action willingly,and maybe some of the more established fans/members etc should make contact with the representatives of AFC Wimbledon and FC United for help and advice.

#12 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

A supporter run club sounds good but in our case is not viable, the reason being our fan base is not large enough. In the case of Fc United they had several thousand behind them when they split from MAN U.As for the #### as Greengrass so eloquently puts it .I believe it was there supporters club that asked Koukash to try and help us as we were one of the only clubs that helped them when they had there troubles so I wouldn't start spitting bile to soon. Any help at this moment in timeas got to be looked at seriously beggers can't be choosers and as for being a feeder club ALL semi-pro clubs are feeder clubs to the super league who can step in and take the best players any time.Examples being Chris Hill  Leigh to Warrington and Walmsley Batley to Wigan .Superleague clubs have taken the cream since its inception so if Koucash was to invest in the lions and could make us a force to be reckoned with in the championship and we retained our identity I certainly wouldn't complain about being second fiddle toSalford. My only stipulation being that he was serious about the Lions future  as well as Salford.

#13 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

A supporter run club sounds good but in our case is not viable, the reason being our fan base is not large enough. In the case of Fc United they had several thousand behind them when they split from MAN U.As for the #### as Greengrass so eloquently puts it .I believe it was there supporters club that asked Koukash to try and help us as we were one of the only clubs that helped them when they had there troubles so I wouldn't start spitting bile to soon. Any help at this moment in timeas got to be looked at seriously beggers can't be choosers and as for being a feeder club ALL semi-pro clubs are feeder clubs to the super league who can step in and take the best players any time.Examples being Chris Hill Leigh to Warrington and Walmsley Batley to Wigan .Superleague clubs have taken the cream since its inception so if Koucash was to invest in the lions and could make us a force to be reckoned with in the championship and we retained our identity I certainly wouldn't complain about being second fiddle toSalford. My only stipulation being that he was serious about the Lions future as well as Salford.

I was just wondering how playing second fiddle to Salford would work in the event promotion and relegation was reintroduced. Would you still be happy if we ever hit the SL and he gave Salford the better players.

#14 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

To your question Mashy 1 . No I wouldn't be happy ,but it's all conjecture and whos to say in the future that he can't have two successful teams in superleague. All I am certain of is that I want the lions to survive and  become a team to be feared once more.

#15 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

That said I think firstly it has to be seen what the plans are by these potential new investors, but I think at the back of people's minds must be that a similar situation to that of Wimbledon may well be unfolding here when they did the dirty on their fans and moved to Milton Keynes

Not so long ago a similar (Wimbledon to MK Dons) move was mooted which would have resulted in the metamorphosis of the Lions into becoming Darwen RLFC.

:shout:

#16 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

Not so long ago a similar (Wimbledon to MK Dons) move was mooted which would have resulted in the metamorphosis of the Lions into becoming Darwen RLFC.

:shout:

Yes I remember that.Whatever happens I for one do not want to see the Swinton Lions just disappear,that would be a sad day for the game.Personally I think that there is room and scope for a successful enough Swinton RLFC at Championship level.And given the right people running it,I think this can be done.

#17 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

Yes I remember that.Whatever happens I for one do not want to see the Swinton Lions just disappear,that would be a sad day for the game.Personally I think that there is room and scope for a successful enough Swinton RLFC at Championship level.And given the right people running it,I think this can be done.

So if we survive Robert do you want a lift to games next season?

#18 Clarence St

Clarence St
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

A supporter run club sounds good but in our case is not viable, the reason being our fan base is not large enough. In the case of Fc United they had several thousand behind them when they split from MAN U.As for the #### as Greengrass so eloquently puts it .I believe it was there supporters club that asked Koukash to try and help us as we were one of the only clubs that helped them when they had there troubles so I wouldn't start spitting bile to soon. Any help at this moment in timeas got to be looked at seriously beggers can't be choosers and as for being a feeder club ALL semi-pro clubs are feeder clubs to the super league who can step in and take the best players any time.Examples being Chris Hill  Leigh to Warrington and Walmsley Batley to Wigan .Superleague clubs have taken the cream since its inception so if Koucash was to invest in the lions and could make us a force to be reckoned with in the championship and we retained our identity I certainly wouldn't complain about being second fiddle toSalford. My only stipulation being that he was serious about the Lions future  as well as Salford.

Your bang on there G.G. and it's not just since Super League was formed. Most of the decent juniors here in York have always been snapped up by the top clubs. Players like the Drake twins at Hull, Geoff. Wrigglesworth, Dave Hick and Ray Batten at Leeds, St.John Ellis with Cas., they were all York juniors. I suppose it's only natural that most lads want to play for the best team they can and earn the most money they can, it's something that always happens in any sport I'm afraid. We that support the smaller clubs just have to either lump it or become a fan of one of the bigger clubs, something I tried many years ago in my younger days when I started to go to Headingley to watch Leeds. It didn't last a season! How people can go and support a team with whom they have no "blood" ties I'll never know, but as we do know, they do! Just one small point, Walmsley went from Batley to Saints. Good luck anyway and I hope things turn out okay for you lads, except when you play The Knights of course!

#19 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

So if we survive Robert do you want a lift to games next season?

Thanks for the offer of a lift,I might just take you up on that so I can have a pint or two.

#20 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the offer of a lift,I might just take you up on that so I can have a pint or two.

Aa long as you service my boiler for nowt mate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users