RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Going to "The Big Hit" from Scotland?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Greg C

Greg C
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

Anyone from Scotland planning on going to the Semi-finals?

#2 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

Fancy your chances against the Kiwis in the quarters? ;)

I'm only an hour's train ride away, but must be a big trip for you - come along anyway - the more the merrier!

#3 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

I'm not Scottish, but will be travelling down from Scotland to London on the Friday

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

I'm not Scottish, but will be travelling down from Scotland to London on the Friday

On the train? I'm trying to swap days off at work so I can attend the semis and will travel by train if I can get the swap.

#5 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

On the train? I'm trying to swap days off at work so I can attend the semis and will travel by train if I can get the swap.

Yes, local train to Glasgow then 9.40 Glasgow-Euston. Seems the train is pretty full the 4 I am going with are joining the train at Carlisle and couldn't get 4 seats together. Guessing there could be a few getting on at Wigan and Warrington

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#6 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

Yes, local train to Glasgow then 9.40 Glasgow-Euston. Seems the train is pretty full the 4 I am going with are joining the train at Carlisle and couldn't get 4 seats together. Guessing there could be a few getting on at Wigan and Warrington

I'll have to get my skates on because I'll be travelling(hopefully) from Carlisle-euston as well, the more I read about the positive ticket sales the more desperate I am to attend.

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,526 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

I'm flying down from Edinburgh on the Friday to Sunday.

#8 Perry M

Perry M
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hi,

Not sure if you caught the end of the BBC Scotland's evening news tonight but they are not showing any Rugby League this Saturday afternoon.  BBC Scotland are showing Scotland V Japan instead.  All other regions are showing the RLWC.   Thank god I have Premier Sport.

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,526 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

Hi,

Not sure if you caught the end of the BBC Scotland's evening news tonight but they are not showing any Rugby League this Saturday afternoon.  BBC Scotland are showing Scotland V Japan instead.  All other regions are showing the RLWC.   Thank god I have Premier Sport.

They are an absolute disgrace.

It frustrates the hell out of me that we are pretty much reliant on the BBC for terrestrial coverage.

The sooner we can get away from them the better.

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,526 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

By the way - anybody in Scotland with Sky - you can get BBC One HD on channel 976 or similar.

#11 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

Hi,

Not sure if you caught the end of the BBC Scotland's evening news tonight but they are not showing any Rugby League this Saturday afternoon. BBC Scotland are showing Scotland V Japan instead. All other regions are showing the RLWC. Thank god I have Premier Sport.

I wonder if Martyn Sadler could solicit an explanation from his contact at the beeb.

#12 Perry M

Perry M
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

I'm currently drafting an email to Ewan Angus ewan.angus@bbc.co.uk head of sport at BBC Scotland & cc'ing Barbera Slater Head of BBC sport.  I'm sure he would welcome a few more emails in his inbox tomorrow morning.  They will be giving sooooo much airtime to the SRU when it comes to RWC 2015.  I was hoping for a preview of Scotlands game tomorrow night, but they couldnt be arsed, they might surprise me tomorrow evening - but I doubt it.   I know we can chose to watch the game via an English Channel but its not the point. 

#13 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

Flying down to Luton Sat am, back Sunday.

Incidentally, I agree about the BBC. It's sickening how they can send more people (at our expense) to the Olympics than there are British athletes (as they did in Beijing) and can't even make the most of a minor effor for the RLWC. And up here we also have to put up with them bumping Saturdays match for a RU friendly, no coverage of the Bravehearts at all, and this on top of having to watch English football highlights on Saturday nights (ours are on Sunday, long after everyone has lost interest).

Still, it's nice for Gary Lineker to get £1000000000 of our cash every year.

#14 MattSantos

MattSantos
  • Coach
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

Easyjet. Glasgow - Luton Friday afternoon.

Easyjet. Luton - Glasgow Sunday evening. 

I sense a lot of booze...

For final i think it's a very very early train to Preston on the Saturday morning.

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,526 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Easyjetting it down from Edinburgh to Gatwick early Friday and back Sunday morning.

Pretty good at around £50 return each.

#16 Perry M

Perry M
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

Shock horror, I had a reply from Mr Angus from BBC Scotland!!! See below

Thank you for your note.  I’m sorry you are disappointed in the level of coverage of Scotland’s team in the Rugby League World Cup.  As you will be well aware from your association with the game in Scotland it is not a sport with any significant supporter base here.  Taking that into account I believe that BBC Scotland has provided a good level of coverage on News and online over the course of the tournament to date, complementing the wider coverage from BBC Sport.  The Scottish team has performed extremely well to secure a quarter final match and we will continue to report on progress.  The Coach Steve McCormack was live on Good Morning Scotland earlier today and this was the latest of several interviews conducted with him over the last couple of weeks.

Full televised coverage of the Scotland v Japan Rugby Union Test on Saturday was a contractual obligation for BBC Scotland as part of a bigger BBC deal for the Autumn Test Series.

I hope this addresses your points even if it will almost certainly not be the answer that you would ideally wish.

Regards,

Ewan Angus

Ewan Angus

Commissioning Editor, Television

& Head of Sport

BBC Scotland

e-mail:  ewan.angus@bbc.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users