Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Massive announcement

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

To me a "massive signing" is the likes of jack Hughes, Jermaine Mcgilvray etc

#22 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

To me a "massive signing" is the likes of jack Hughes, Jermaine Mcgilvray etc

You think we could get one of them on a permanent deal? Not a chance.

We do need to start signing better players though. I know these young lads can be pure quality e.g Danny Jones. But sometimes they don't work out. I'd like to sign players with championship games under their belt or maybe a few SL games.

I know we are struggling financially and I'm not fully aware of the situation. But why if we get higher crowds than other teams can they sign better players? We obviously have to pay travel costs ect and it's harder to attract players when they have to travel with full times jobs but we should be able to sign some experienced out of towners surely.

#23 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

You think we could get one of them on a permanent deal? Not a chance.

That's why I said it would be a massive signing

#24 Sempur

Sempur
  • Coach
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

Pat Weisner was a 'Massive' signing, literally!

Don't know how he fit inside that car that Des lent him :tongue:

Whoso sheds his blood with me on this field shall be my brother - Henry V

#25 Campeze

Campeze
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:52 AM

I'm all for geeing up interest but there's a bit too much hyperbole flying around. Telling people there's a 'massive' signing is bound to fall flat unless it's a big name.

Pete Murphy

Commercial Manager

Barrow Raiders RLFC

themurphstar@gmail.com

#26 Campeze

Campeze
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

I totally agree with Dave, this is a good signing but to describe it as "MASSIVE"  is gilding the lily to say the least.

The whole point of the pre announcement and hype on the facebook page was to generate interest in the facebook page. The more likes it has the more people get to see our posts. and in doing the pre announcement and hype it generated over 100 new likes in 3 days!!!!

This ploy is called marketing.

just for the record, I think it is a massive signing for our club, he's a super league fringe player that's hungry to play and is obviously gifted, he has super league experience and we are a club with limited finances and geographically out on a limb and I know a lot of personal negotiations went into getting him to sign!

He might not be a "massive" signing for fax or leigh but I think if ya look at the situation of our club, I think its massive for us.

Pete Murphy

Commercial Manager

Barrow Raiders RLFC

themurphstar@gmail.com

#27 Red Stripe

Red Stripe
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

The whole point of the pre announcement and hype on the facebook page was to generate interest in the facebook page. The more likes it has the more people get to see our posts. and in doing the pre announcement and hype it generated over 100 new likes in 3 days!!!!

This ploy is called marketing.

just for the record, I think it is a massive signing for our club, he's a super league fringe player that's hungry to play and is obviously gifted, he has super league experience and we are a club with limited finances and geographically out on a limb and I know a lot of personal negotiations went into getting him to sign!

He might not be a "massive" signing for fax or leigh but I think if ya look at the situation of our club, I think its massive for us.

I am not saying anything against the time and effort put into obtaining the signing but I guess we will have to agree to disagree, as I stand by my original statement of it being a good signing but not a massive one.

As a one off "PLOY" it may have worked to increase interest but it means in future any such statements will be viewed with a degree of scepticism (to say the least).

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#28 Campeze

Campeze
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

I am not saying anything against the time and effort put into obtaining the signing but I guess we will have to agree to disagree, as I stand by my original statement of it being a good signing but not a massive one.

As a one off "PLOY" it may have worked to increase interest but it means in future any such statements will be viewed with a degree of scepticism (to say the least).

maybe by you mike.

I guess its all about perspective. an awful lot of people think that dom is a massive signing for the club, they just choose not to write it on here.

Im interested in how you would generate interest in our FB page?

Pete Murphy

Commercial Manager

Barrow Raiders RLFC

themurphstar@gmail.com

#29 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

When you say an awful lot of people how many have you personally spoke to

#30 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

for gods sake stop bickering and support the bloody club guys.

Time will tell if its was a massive signing or not ... give the guy a chance and lets hope it is as described.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#31 fozzy3

fozzy3
  • Coach
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

Keep up the good work murph this sort of signing could actually make the club money in a couple of seasons young lad good pedigree hungry to get to the top of the game.people mention McGillivray,wardle,Hughes,mossop,walker,and nobody really knew these players until they graced there presence at craven park and there not doing too bad for themselves now.

#32 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

agree with you john. murph your doing a great job and any signing is massive for the club wether its a new face or liam Harrison or big dawson from millom. two months ago we could have been looking at life in div 2 and the likes of players we have now got wouldn't have entertained a knock on the door from barrow. keep up the good work lads.

#33 Campeze

Campeze
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

I rest my case!

its like every tiny minuets details is scrutinised and pulled apart, and rubbished.

Ive got specific jobs that people can help with, these jobs will make money for the club and other jobs will raise the profile of the club, some take a little time some take a little more. Who wants to help me?????

Pete Murphy

Commercial Manager

Barrow Raiders RLFC

themurphstar@gmail.com

#34 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

You forgot to mention how many people?

#35 Red Stripe

Red Stripe
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

I rest my case!

its like every tiny minuets details is scrutinised and pulled apart, and rubbished.

Ive got specific jobs that people can help with, these jobs will make money for the club and other jobs will raise the profile of the club, some take a little time some take a little more. Who wants to help me?????

Not going to get into an argument.

But it looks like Murph is going to raise his profile by going on Strictly Come Dancing performing a tiny Minuet! :biggrin:

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#36 HHH

HHH
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

More likes on Facebook the better we'll become...

#37 Campeze

Campeze
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:11 AM

You forgot to mention how many people?

U didn't say u were actually gonna help!

Pete Murphy

Commercial Manager

Barrow Raiders RLFC

themurphstar@gmail.com

#38 Campeze

Campeze
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

Not going to get into an argument.

But it looks like Murph is going to raise his profile by going on Strictly Come Dancing performing a tiny Minuet! :biggrin:

Thank u for proving this point by pointing out and pulling apart a predictive txt mistake!!

So these jobs?
Who actually wants to help?
PM me on here!

Pete Murphy

Commercial Manager

Barrow Raiders RLFC

themurphstar@gmail.com

#39 westerner

westerner
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:28 AM

Maybe they were just AWFUL people :shout:

#40 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

Take a look on saints forum they rate Dom highly .
Rip the bludgers heads off!