Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rebel super league clubs now totalling nine

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#181 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:47 PM

Huddersfield took a parachute payment and kept FT without the constraints of a salary cap, having previously avoided the executioners axe due to the lack of facilities at Dewsbury and Hunslet - where you born then? Where you one of the mighty 300 a couple of decades ago??

They did nothing wrong but can you imagine where you would be if there wasn't a direct way back?

They were playing by the rules of the time, as far as i know, And i was one of the mighty 300 as it happens.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#182 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

From what I've managed to find out from the Rovers, the 2nd 12  salary cap would be around the £1m mark.  "Sufficient to have your first choice 17 or so players full time".

But insufficient to compete with clubs on £1.65M squads, and insufficient to attract decent players to CC and insufficient to have the depth of squad late season to start taking on SL squads.

This is loaded against the CC clubs isn't it? Are they planning a proper competition because it looks like it's loaded big style. Shame, disgrace, shouldn't be allowed etc etc....

Having said that the further deep demise of city clubs London Wakefield and Bradford (following on from Salford) looks like they may not be able to afford £1M let alone £1.65. Perhaps this nonsense is all about saving these three badly failing clubs all dressed up as an exciting new era?

Edited by The Parksider, 14 November 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#183 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:42 AM

Featherstone  has had over a hundred years to build, so how long do they need before they get there.

This shuffling the posts about or restructuring is not going to bring in a single penny more money as far as i can see, so how is it going to transform the game exactly,

Wrong, only 92 years.

I dunno how the proposals or the status quo will transform the game, I maybe have an inkling how it will do the reverse and that is by bending over backwards to be all "sporting" and "fair" and thinking about the "family of RL" and how we must preserve the past, it's our heritage you know, and that is what is dragging the game down now IMHO. The tens of thousands flocking to the world cup don't give a monkeys for the "good old days". It's their money we need.

Mo will be having a chuckle.

Edited by The Parksider, 14 November 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#184 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,235 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

Wrong, only 92 years.

I dunno how the proposals or the status quo will transform the game, I maybe have an inkling how it will do the reverse and that is by bending over backwards to be all "sporting" and "fair" and thinking about the "family of RL" and how we must preserve the past, it's our heritage you know, and that is what is dragging the game down now IMHO. The tens of thousands flocking to the world cup don't give a monkeys for the "good old days". It's their money we need.

Mo will be having a chuckle.

The club is over a hundred years old

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#185 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

The facts are we have a plethora of failing clubs in SL and are killing the clubs beneath SL who you would logically want to step in to replace them
The failing clubs look like doing a Fax 2003 by spending very little on a squad secure in the knowledge they will not drop down, a great spectacle for TV and the comp

#186 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

The club is over a hundred years old

You know what I meant though.....

#187 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

The facts are we have a plethora of failing clubs in SL and are killing the clubs beneath SL who you would logically want to step in to replace them
The failing clubs look like doing a Fax 2003 by spending very little on a squad secure in the knowledge they will not drop down, a great spectacle for TV and the comp

On the money Craiq but the "replacements" are hardly in any better state, what do you think caused the big time SL failures? Because that's waiting for the likes of you.......

#188 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

All business starts with a sale, most clubs are either too lazy to sell or don't know how to, this can also be said of the RFL
Rugby league is awash with missed opportunities because they work on a if we build it they will come mentality
This World Cup has mobilised thousands of free salesmen motivated to ensure a positive World Cup. We must understand what motivates new business to buy into our great sport and sell to those emotions evangelically
I will quote what is unfolding behind the scenes at Leigh, we have some real salesmen involved in the new team and have just expanded that with a top drawer marketing director. Sales are up massively on sponsorships, sponsors are becoming partners and the feel good is cascading down - a real can do will do is taking over from the no point it never works here attitude but we need somewhere for it to go otherwise the momentum will be lost

#189 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,235 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

which clubs are being killed?

For instance Workington were dead in the water not long ago look at them now.. Oldham almost as notorious as leigh during the yo yo years and a disastrous SL club have just had a successful season

your own club  has done a pretty good job of killing itself over the last forty years or so

I thought halifax did drop down and didn't they get into a little local difficulty with spendin g over the sal;ary cap?

Keeping it local

#190 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

But insufficient to compete with clubs on £1.65M squads, and insufficient to attract decent players to CC and insufficient to have the depth of squad late season to start taking on SL squads.

This is loaded against the CC clubs isn't it? Are they planning a proper competition because it looks like it's loaded big style. Shame, disgrace, shouldn't be allowed etc etc....

Having said that the further deep demise of city clubs London Wakefield and Bradford (following on from Salford) looks like they may not be able to afford £1M let alone £1.65. Perhaps this nonsense is all about saving these three badly failing clubs all dressed up as an exciting new era?

I doubt that the 4 dropping to the middle 8 will be spending anywhere near £1.65m on salaries, probably not much more that the 4 2nd div clubs entering the middle 8.

For the reason above, it doesn't seem to me to be loaded at all.

You could well be right about saving those lesser SL clubs.  That's why it's a good solution.  The three 8s break clubs down into 3 fairly neat categories:

1. Super - Leeds, Wigan, Warrington, St Helens, Catalan, Huddersfield, Hull FC, Salford (under Koukash)

2. Not quite super and either declining or building - Hull KR, Bradford, Castleford, Widnes, London, Wakefield, Featherstone, Halifax

3. Want to be Super or Happy to stay not Super - Toulouse, Leigh, Sheffield, Barrow, North Wales, Batley, Doncaster, Workington

All three groups get something to play for at a level they can afford, while the ambitious and expansion clubs can rise and the basket cases fall. Obviously some of the bottom 8 are interchangeable with cc1, which is why there is also P&R there.

Edited by Ponterover, 14 November 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#191 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

which clubs are being killed?

For instance Workington were dead in the water not long ago look at them now.. Oldham almost as notorious as leigh during the yo yo years and a disastrous SL club have just had a successful season

your own club  has done a pretty good job of killing itself over the last forty years or so

I thought halifax did drop down and didn't they get into a little local difficulty with spendin g over the sal;ary cap?

People who are stuck obsessing about the past very rarely have the vision to see a bright future.

#192 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

On the subject of P&R all I know is the positive experience from other sports, namely football.    When I first started watching Liverpool there where in the 2nd Division, without promotion y they would never have achieved the heights they did.   The same can be said at some more recent years for Man Utd, Man City, Spurs, Chelsea.... etc all gaining promotion more recently than Liverpool, all at some stage with debts, etc but the ability to have aspiration to get to the big league enabled them to progress....

#193 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

People who are stuck obsessing about the past very rarely have the vision to see a bright future.

Now that's irony, folks. All we ever get on here is fans from a handful of mid-sized clubs banging on about their clubs being killed off by the RFL and Super Greed clubs. All they want is their day in the sun, even if it means defeat after defeat at the hands of the big boys and eventual financial ruin, just so they can say they had a year in the top flight. And dressed up in the name of tradition.

How's that for obsessing over the past?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#194 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Now that's irony, folks. All we ever get on here is fans from a handful of mid-sized clubs banging on about their clubs being killed off by the RFL and Super Greed clubs. All they want is their day in the sun, even if it means defeat after defeat at the hands of the big boys and eventual financial ruin, just so they can say they had a year in the top flight. And dressed up in the name of tradition.

I'm not the one using 20 year old evidence to justify the status quo

#195 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

I'm not the one using 20 year old evidence to justify the status quo

No, just 60 year old evidence to justify the changes. It were better in my day, crowds were huge in the fifties, (insert village) were a huge club back then, etc, etc.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#196 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

No, just 60 year old evidence to justify the changes. It were better in my day, crowds were huge in the fifties, (insert village) were a huge club back then, etc, etc.

I was born in 1973, all that's a bit before my time old son.

#197 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

For what it's worth i's rather see my team play at a higher level and get beat a lot more than not have P&R and not be able to go anywhere

TEAMROVERS_small.jpg

#198 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,235 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

I was born in 1973, all that's a bit before my time old son.

So is that year zero then: the bench mark from when history began?
Actually that's not bad
The examples I gave were from 2013
Keeping it local

#199 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,235 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

For what it's worth i's rather see my team play at a higher level and get beat a lot more than not have P&R and not be able to go anywhere

For what it's worth there are those who are more interested in the bigger picture than their own narrow self interest
Keeping it local

#200 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

I doubt that the 4 dropping to the middle 8 will be spending anywhere near £1.65m on salaries, probably not much more that the 4 2nd div clubs entering the middle 8. You could well be right about saving those lesser SL clubs.  That's why it's a good solution.  All three groups get something to play for at a level they can afford, while the ambitious and expansion clubs can rise and the basket cases fall. Obviously some of the bottom 8 are interchangeable with cc1, which is why there is also P&R there.

Well I can understand it, it's just that it's not what it's dressed up to be at all. As for "ambitious and expansion clubs rising", again if Superleague can make a disaster out of the likes of Salford and London with their long term millionaire owners, and a disaster out of two of the games big city clubs with proud histories as long as anyone's, seriously, why do you think there's clubs outside SL who could do any better??

I discount Fev from that, no reason Mr, Nahaboo if he keeps his promise can't in ten years get Fev to where Mr. Davey had got Fartown to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users