Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rebel super league clubs now totalling nine

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#321 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,323 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

its true that crowds have been good and it makes sense to try to make them stick. . However it seems to me that in some cases they are not as high as local SL derbies. i trust you are not linking these crowds to potential week-in-week out Championship crowds.

#322 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

Always classed  Myler as Widnes grown when Salford were claiming him- laughed no end when they whinged about Wire 'Stealing' him too - we both know where the theft took place. I class G and S Burgess as Bradford grown

Dewsbury Moor...Bradford had the money to sign them. Those boys would have made the top level of the game regardless of the first professional club they signed for.

#323 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

One thing this world cup has shown is their is a big appetite for the game from supporters outside 12 teams in super league(I won,t count London and salford).The attendances at Leigh,Halifax,Rochdale and Workington show this.

I know for a fact many lapsed supporters attended these games-and the game has to try and address this rather than the present closed shop.

There is a big appetite, so we need to bake a few more pies instead of assuming as we have done, that we don't have the ingredients.

#324 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

I don,t know the exact figures but say SL aveage crowds are 9,000 and in the championship 1300-the game is going to be a lot stronger and more interesting if the top championship clubs can start pulling in 3 to 4,000.

To do this changes have to take place-and if they do the next money men maybe intersted.The present system avoids anybody interested in investing outside SL.

#325 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

The game is going to be a lot stronger and more interesting if the top championship clubs can start pulling in 3 to 4,000.To do this changes have to take place-and if they do the next money men maybe intersted.

The present system avoids anybody interested in investing outside SL.

That's not true.

Under the present system Steve O'Connor invested his money in Widnes, and after the initial dissapointment of not getting in in 2009 obtained a Superleague place for Widnes in 2012.

Prior to the proposed changes Mark Campbell and Faisal Nahaboo invested their money in Featherstone with a view to getting a Superleague place on the 2015 licensing round.

I don't think anyone can really argue that you don't need a lot of money to be a competitive superleague club. I think that's been accepted for years you need a lot of money.

This is why the "present system" has been based on picking the 14 clubs with the most money.
Change the system and you will still get the clubs with the most money gravitating to the top.

The problem as it has already manifested itself is that Big City Big name RL clubs already IN superleague like Wakefield and Bradford have not attracted big investors. Why we would believe that P & R would somehow bring the Millionaires rushing in, especially to small clubs who'd need £2,000,000 a year spending on them I don't know.

#326 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

One thing this world cup has shown is their is a big appetite for the game from supporters outside 12 teams in super league.The attendances at Leigh,Halifax,Rochdale and Workington show this.I know for a fact many lapsed supporters attended these games-and the game has to try and address this rather than the present closed shop.

It's an interesting point although fans attending Leigh Halifax and Rochdale may well have come from Wigan, St.helens, Bradford, Leeds, Huiddersfield, Wakefield, and warrington etc.

Fans will travel for a big game.

If people from leigh halifax and rochdale are attending WC games who don't normally go to their local club, it may be because they only want to watch professional top class RL.

It may well make a case for mergers, but there we go.

#327 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

I will print this in BIG letters to help

Current champ cap £3-400,000 pa with £75000 from RFL

Proposal was Champ Grand Finalists got £550000 and £500000 for the 2015 season

£550000 - £75000 is a central fund increase of £475000

Add the £475000 to the £3-400000 current salary with the balance covered in gates and sponsorship means a £1m salary is affordable for the top

Sounds like the answer to everyone prayer

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt