Rebel super league clubs now totalling nine

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#21 Eltullah

Eltullah
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

Whatever happens people in charge of rugby league need to accept that the World Cup shows that people are interested in rugby league. They would be muppets to ignore it. Club rugby in all divisions felt a little stale this year. The World Cup is like a breath of fresh air.

#22 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

A split SL vote won't carry if the championship is united. The outcome is a split sport

And guess which side of the split will have the Sky contract and hence the money.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#23 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,691 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

does this lessen the chances of this ridiculous change in the league structure will happen?

One can only hope

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#24 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

Whatever happens people in charge of rugby league need to accept that the World Cup shows that people are interested in rugby league.

And top class top of the tree elite RL at that.

When one proper SL club attracts more fans that the whole of the Championship put together it kinda shows that we should not water down the elite end of the club game.

As contrived as the world cup set up is in both format and the make up of "national teams" the fans don't worry about it, they just turn up in droves because it's top stuff.

The tail mustn't wag the dog and we must shake off the past.

#25 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:22 PM

And top class top of the tree elite RL at that.

When one proper SL club attracts more fans that the whole of the Championship put together it kinda shows that we should not water down the elite end of the club game.

As contrived as the world cup set up is in both format and the make up of "national teams" the fans don't worry about it, they just turn up in droves because it's top stuff.

The tail mustn't wag the dog and we must shake off the past.

The worry is you believe that, and that is why the interest was declining, we have too many nothing clubs in SL to have a true elite. When we have 12 Leeds/Wire/Saints/Wigans/Hulls then we will have an elite. We have a SL plate winner with no fans surviving on the generosity of an ageing man, 3/4/5? going or gone bust yet awarded licences. This WC is so successful because we have been united and evangelical in supporting it, a divided RL will never reach its potential and the sooner the non producing dinosaurs like yourself find another hobby the better the games future looks.

Sport needs dreams, surely what is unfolding shows even a capper like you that

#26 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

It's patently clear from the reaction to the World Cup so far that there us real interest in our game from all quarters. The tournament will really explode in a minute and the people running the game need to be good enough to capitalise on that.

I'm guilty of living in the past a bit and dwelling on the cosy memories of games on Boxing Day & New Years Day. The game has changed and we have to embrace that.

A vibrant international scene is vital for the sport. Union learnt that a long time ago. The European tournament has also taken the RU game in this country to a new level - crowds for club games were dire 20 years ago. Unpalatable though it may be, we have to learn from this..

If the unthinkable happens, and we win the cup the possibilities are endless......

#27 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

It's patently clear from the reaction to the World Cup so far that there us real interest in our game from all quarters. The tournament will really explode in a minute and the people running the game need to be good enough to capitalise on that.

I'm guilty of living in the past a bit and dwelling on the cosy memories of games on Boxing Day & New Years Day. The game has changed and we have to embrace that.

A vibrant international scene is vital for the sport. Union learnt that a long time ago. The European tournament has also taken the RU game in this country to a new level - crowds for club games were dire 20 years ago. Unpalatable though it may be, we have to learn from this..

If the unthinkable happens, and we win the cup the possibilities are endless......

Totally agree. For all their faults the RFU keep dreams alive and the sport united. We need a strong France then a strong Wales to have a meaningful European comp, but it wont happen overnight. Until then we need to work out how we keep the media focussed on our international product, if that means two tri nations running simultaneously then so be it.

I like a four year cycle of 2 tri nations, a world cup and a GB tour, we should announce the next 8 years now.

#28 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

We have a SL plate winner with no fans surviving on the generosity of an ageing man,

Sadly we are all ageing men (or women).

#29 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

Sadly we are all ageing men (or women).

but most of us cant pump millions into our club

#30 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

The worry is you believe that, and that is why the interest was declining, we have too many nothing clubs in SL to have a true elite. When we have 12 Leeds/Wire/Saints/Wigans/Hulls then we will have an elite. We have a SL plate winner with no fans surviving on the generosity of an ageing man, 3/4/5? going or gone bust yet awarded licences. This WC is so successful because we have been united and evangelical in supporting it, a divided RL will never reach its potential and the sooner the non producing dinosaurs like yourself find another hobby the better the games future looks.

It's odd being called a "capper" and a "dinosaur" you sure you've got the right guy Craiq? You seem to indicate that the world cup's attendances are simply lapsed RL fans returning to the game because somehow it's a competition that can recapture and reunite all the alleged missing fans.

I think that's a convenient argument. I don't think for one minute a return to a structure where too many clubs are involved watering down standards and spreading money too thinly will do anything other than recreate the past.

You then seem to indicate the problem is too many nothing clubs in SL. I'd agree hence two at least need chopping - some argue four. So I'm confused by you?

There is an argument that if "contrived" teams in the World Cup who are just a bunch of Aussies, can attract such big crowds who don't actually care as long as they are entertained, then maybe a couple mergers should be undertaken to create clubs big enough to match the elite end of SL?

#31 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

There is an argument that if "contrived" teams in the World Cup who are just a bunch of Aussies, can attract such big crowds who don't actually care as long as they are entertained, then maybe a couple mergers should be undertaken to create clubs big enough to match the elite end of SL?

Edited by Honor James, 09 November 2013 - 08:14 AM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#32 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

This

#33 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,691 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

Totally agree. For all their faults the RFU keep dreams alive and the sport united. We need a strong France then a strong Wales to have a meaningful European comp, but it wont happen overnight. Until then we need to work out how we keep the media focussed on our international product, if that means two tri nations running simultaneously then so be it.

I like a four year cycle of 2 tri nations, a world cup and a GB tour, we should announce the next 8 years now.

is that why London Welsh had to resort to Legal action to gain their short lived and disastrous 'promotion'. Dreams are great anybody can have them, meaningful ambition now that's anothewr story as the ridiculous and wasteful experience of your cliub in SL showed. How did they make the 'elite' meaningful?

as for unity: are you serious, what was all the hassle about with  the heineken Cup?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#34 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

Re that  qote above, I wanted to write underneath that it seems to me a point that bears some sensible examination.

We live in a world now that offers every resident of an original `Our Game' catchment area, many more ways to enjoy their leisure time than thirty / forty years ago.  So too, more money to do it with.  It seems logical to me therefore, that two or three clubs so geographically close together now, that each one is struggling to maintain - let alone increase - its fan base at a financially viable level, should be able to sit down together and talk rationally about survival based on sound business structures and the realities of income generation.

It is hard for those who have given long devotion to understand, perhaps, that when survival is at stake, sentiment may be an old man's luxury.  But surely the precious annals of the past can better be cherished in one thriving community, than two or three slowly shrivelling remnants.  Perhaps the old (but slightly amended) saying might apply - "Divided we look wobblier by the year; united there's a chance we might not only stand but walk tall again, learn to run a good race together and win". 

I'd be inclined to give it a go.

Sounds a better option to me than another re-shuffle; another bitty lump-sum hand-out to fritter away on a short-term dash for hope and glory; another "up today for a while but down again tomorrow", staggering on believing each new season's problems are someone else's to solve, until we tumble, grumbling into two or three heaps of historic dust.

:king:   even King Canute couldn't hold back the tide of history.

:dwarf:   be a viking - ride the waves!

They'd have been thrutching a bit too, by now, if they'd all stayed stuck in narrow valleys in Norway.

:)

Edited by Honor James, 09 November 2013 - 09:18 AM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#35 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

I can understand the club's frustration. The RFL's ridiculous decision to bring back P&R is bound to provoke reaction from much more sensible club chairman.

A smaller SL (10-12 teams) with no P&R is the only sensible approach in this country.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

I can understand the club's frustration. The RFL's ridiculous decision to bring back P&R is bound to provoke reaction from much more sensible club chairman.

A smaller SL (10-12 teams) with no P&R is the only sensible approach in this country.

The rebellion is nothing to do with P&R, a good number of the rebels, including the ringleader have professed their preference for P&R.

The rebellion is a power grab, nothing more.

#37 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

If the Chairmen come out with a proposal for the good of the game and international scene then I would support them however self serving men only bring about disasters.
The RFL on the other hand if they believe in what there doing and we must know what the overall aim is then they should just push it through.
waddell

#38 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

If the Chairmen come out with a proposal for the good of the game and international scene then I would support them however self serving men only bring about disasters.
The RFL on the other hand if they believe in what there doing and we must know what the overall aim is then they should just push it through.

The RFL can't push it through without the agreement of SL clubs.

#39 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

The rebellion is nothing to do with P&R, a good number of the rebels, including the ringleader have professed their preference for P&R.

The rebellion is a power grab, nothing more.

I think you have this the wrong way round it may well be a power grab but not by the SL clubs. It looks to me like its the RFL who are doing it.

#40 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

It's funny that the RFL, heavily criticised for not supporting the SL, are doing a remarkable job with the world cup.

i don't see anyone posting how rubbish the RFL are and what a shambles the world cup format or organisation is.

It's also funny just how united the world cup looks with clubs playing at their respective levels.

.......and yet the 3x8 isn't the way forward domestically like it is internationally.

Edited by Ackroman, 09 November 2013 - 11:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users