Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New Home for Sheffield

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Sheffield move once more: http://www.sheffield...news&Itemid=490

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#2 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 876 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

Good news for eagles. I would think this is temporary till the New stadium is built at DVS.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#3 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

Sounds like its a two year deal to stay there,at least they want to play on a Sunday afternoon from 2014,never went to the ground first time round,so that's one new ground for me to go to.Hope the view won't be too far away with the dog track around there.

#4 Wilsden Ram

Wilsden Ram
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

Don't forget the Speedway track as well as the Dog Track.

Will be interesting as there is currently no seating at the Stadium only in the Bars and Panorama Room

Restaurant - and none of the terracing has crush barriers. Indeed the uncovered terracing opposite the Panorama Room

has probably only been used 15 times in the last 10 years and this covers 35% of the area round the pitch. This

is the only decent elevated viewing area for the pitch but hopefully they will not be allowed to use it without barriers

after all the time and expense we have had to incur for our Eastern Terrace.

The only other terracing is on the 1st,3rd and part of the 4th bend of the Speedway Track and underneath the restaurant there

is a gently sloping tarmaced standing area - so the viewing onto the pitch is not any better than DVS. In fact it could be worse

as even the top of these viewing areas are not much above pitch level.  However at least they are covered.

Finally the playing area will be very small as, since the Eagles last played there, two run off areas have been built at each side

of the pitch primarily for the Stock Cars and Speedway - unless, of course, the intention is to get rid of the Speedway(It is up for

sale after 2 years of falling gates an poor results).  Also, there are no Floodlights for the pitch only for the Dogs and Speedway, the

pitch lighting was removed some years ago when the football club who played there moved on.  So unless a good deal of money

is spent between now and February be prepared for a sub-standard Rugby facility (It is ideal for the Dogs and Speedway) and some

early kick-off times at the start of the Season.

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

Good news for eagles. I would think this is temporary till the New stadium is built at DVS.

Right, yeah, new stadium is it?

Who's going to build it/pay for it?

The DVS site is scheduled for industrial warehousing I believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

The plan was back in spring was to build a multi use site. The uni would have a base there and the NHS. Sports that would play there would be basketball , snooker, RL and others. Richard Colburn was behind it , last I read it was at feasibility stage. The plan was to get central government funding for it I would think he would know all about that side of it. Of course it could well end up as pie in the sky. I wouldn't have thought Sheffield needed any more warehouses. Got a link for it ? I'd be interested to read it.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#7 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

well i was at owlerton all day yesterday for the f1 stockcars, theres no way rugby will be played on that pitch, its covered in tons of red shale thats like glass,so unless its been replaced with fresh grass people will cut to shreds in the tackles, its got runoffs for cars at both sides taking 30ft of the width at least so not wide enough at all, some great food outlets and 3 or 4 bars well stocked, viewing for the cars is ok but for the rugby your too far away even in the turn one bar that nearest of the viewing areas, lights are ok as theres about 30 floodlights all way round for dogs and higher up for speedway/stockcars.i were taking to one a the stewards and i seems to think the whole back terrace thats been closed for years is going to be revamped and made a lot higher.all the pits area that looks like a swamp at the moment is going to be sorted for parking of coach's and fans.few £££$££ to be spent by sounds a things. hope it all goes to plan.

#8 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

Are the council helping with the revamp?

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#9 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

not sure who owns it all,i know steve who promotes the stockars and he spends a lot of his own money on the track and pits area. would a thought council will be involved as theres lots of health and safety issues on the far terrace as its been closed for about 14 years now, used to be the best viewing area of the lot, premier managed to film from the terrace and a few stewards patroled and kept the stockcar fans off yesterday but its deemed very unsafe..lol.

#10 Wilsden Ram

Wilsden Ram
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

A & S Leisure own the stadium and certainly charge the Speedway a considerable

sum in rent per meeting.

Persumably they will charge the Eagles a similar sum but who will pay it?

#11 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 973 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

Really makes you think how lucky we are that we are fans of a club like the rams who have their own ground,having people around who goes to the trouble of getting the terrace done on the Eastern side of the ground.

#12 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

Total backward step by everybody involved with the Sheffield club, ground not fit for championship rugby... I certainly won't be going it will be like going back to the mid eighties.. All that will be missing will be a one armed player and Daryl Powell poncing about on the field... Sad day for the Sheffield club who have done what they can to bring to life rugby league in the steel city.... Pack your bags eagles and get up to Barnsley... Least you would have a ground there ;)

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

Total backward step by everybody involved with the Sheffield club, ground not fit for championship rugby... I certainly won't be going it will be like going back to the mid eighties.. All that will be missing will be a one armed player and Daryl Powell poncing about on the field... Sad day for the Sheffield club who have done what they can to bring to life rugby league in the steel city.... Pack your bags eagles and get up to Barnsley... Least you would have a ground there ;)

Well what options did they genuinely have? Reading elsewhere none of the S Yorks soccer clubs was at all interested in having them as tenants added to which is the genuine importance to them of remaining within the city of Sheffield. They appear to have explored every other opportunity available and have arrived at this conclusion, not without some misgivings I'm sure.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users