League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Murderer should be shown leniency says a posh bloke that's never met him.

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

Shooting a defenceless, injured combatant; isn't this a war crime?

what should the punishment be for a sniper who kills a Taliban member from over a mile away with a high powered rifle? after all the Taliban member is defenceless against that attack, and poses no risk to the sniper.

#22 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

what should the punishment be for a sniper who kills a Taliban member from over a mile away with a high powered rifle? after all the Taliban member is defenceless against that attack, and poses no risk to the sniper.

I'm pretty sure snipers aren't tasked with killing the seriously injured.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#23 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

But that combatant has not been captured by the accused and under his control.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#24 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

what has been injured got to do with it? if he is unarmed is really the problem I think

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,167 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

what should the punishment be for a sniper who kills a Taliban member from over a mile away with a high powered rifle?

It would rather depend why he was shooting him.  The punishment could range from the Victoria Cross to life imprisonment, depending.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#26 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

It said on the news last night that during this 'operation' the Taliban had been hanging limbs of dead British soldiers from trees and shooting at injured British soldiers lying injured.  Whilst never having heard the 'limbs on trees' bit on the news, I have read stories about our soldiers being shot whilst lying wounded.  Maybe the soldier thought he was dealing out a bit of ###### for tat for his own wounded/dead comrades.

This swear filter thingy really can be annoying.  

Edited by Exiled Townie, 09 November 2013 - 12:47 PM.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#27 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,079 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

I am not going to comment on this incident per se because I don't know enough about the case.

But I have read a few comments to the effect of 'we are better than them and don't act like that' Which may be very well true but that being so, don't get into wars against people who do act like that, or if you do be prepared to fight dirty.

It would be like going in a rough pub renowned for fighting and when it kicks off lie on the floor and say you don't believe in violence. ..just stay out in the first place.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#28 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

A bit off topic, but where will the guilty Marine be incarcerated?
Do the Armed Forces still have a "glass house"?
If they do how do the prison regimes compare and do normal time off rules apply?
Wherever it is I suspect that he will get a fairly sympathetic reaction from both staff and fellow prisoners.

Edited by bearman, 09 November 2013 - 03:49 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#29 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,097 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

If they do how do the prison regimes compare and do normal time off rules apply?
Wherever it is I suspect that he will get a fairly sympathetic reaction from both staff and fellow prisoners.

military prisons are extremely strict and tough

but far more effort and expertise is put into training and education of prisoners

the military'ss best instructors work in prisoners

military prisoners are not banged up for 23 hours a day doing nothing

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#30 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

Any idea why it's appropriate for the BBC not to name this convicted murderer, but it's appropriate to name suspects when they've been "named locally"?

#31 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

What about the 2 poor Soldier's who were killed by a rogue Policemen who they posed with photo's with.

#32 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

What about the 2 poor Soldier's who were killed by a rogue Policemen who they posed with photo's with.

This is of no relevance to this thread and you know it.

#33 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

What a load of utter garbage.Men are in a war zone,it's either kill or be killed.

Try a day in their shoes instead of pontificating.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 09 November 2013 - 06:21 PM.

Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#34 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

What a load of utter garbage.Men are in a war zone,it's either kill or be killed.

Thing is, if it had been a kill or be killed situation it wouldn't be a court case. It wasn't so it's murder which he clearly knew as he said  "Obviously this doesn't go anywhere, fellas. I just broke the Geneva Convention."

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#35 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

Thing is, if it had been a kill or be killed situation it wouldn't be a court case. It wasn't so it's murder which he clearly knew as he said  "Obviously this doesn't go anywhere, fellas. I just broke the Geneva Convention."

Shame we don't put the same amount of handwringing into the Taliban insurgents disguised as policemen killing our troops as this.

#36 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

Two wrongs don't make a right.
If we are not better than them, then what are we doing all this for?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#37 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

Two wrongs don't make a right.
If we are not better than them, then what are we doing all this for?

"We" aren't doing anything,the nations armed forces are,at the order of our government.

#38 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

What a load of utter garbage.  There are rules of civilised conflict that must be obeyed.

Said as a former soldier with the medals in wars to prove it.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#39 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

There is still Colchester but that's reserved mainly for those who'll stay in the army post-sentence.  If you've committed a civil offence, such as murder, then the typical thing is to discharge the soldier and transfer him to a civilian prison to do the sentence.  If it's a serious military offence then you get your time in Colchester then discharged after you serve your sentence.  The harshest treatment is for those who are borderline cases and have been offered a chance to stay in service post-sentence.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#40 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

What a load of utter garbage.  There are rules of civilised conflict that must be obeyed.

Said as a former soldier with the medals in wars to prove it.

I've lost good friends in Afghanistan.At the hands of Taliban disguised as policemen,I don't recall people on here calling for them to be given life sentences.So good for you,you survived,my friends didn't.Maybe now you can understand why i think this is utter garbage. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users