Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Steve Prescott

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

Would the Steve Prescott Foundation Super League be appropriate?

Absolutely brilliant.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#122 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Lets do something, no longer just a talking shop!!!

#123 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

Who do we get in touch with ?

#124 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

We should run for him, his memory and his family ; i think we owe him that!

#125 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

Agreed. We do.

It would probably make it more inclusive if it was a walk as more people of all ages could do that.

St Helens to Hull...?? Daily stages? Call at RL grounds along the route? Over the Easter break? Just an idea.....

I lost my mum in similar circumstances last year. As many others will know, its a shattering experience and Steve's immediate family deserve and need lots of support in the months ahead. We should do what we can to keep Steve's memory shining as bright as his personality shone.

As the New Yorkers say - "in darkness we shine brightest"

Edited by Bomballey, 12 November 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#126 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

Why not sign up for the St Helens 10K?  It's held in March.  It's organised by the Steve Prescott Foundation as Steve started it up a few years back, one of his initiatives for the town (along with the Taylor Park Challenge and the Pride of St Helens Awards).

#127 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

I did wonder if it'd be a good gesture if clubs offered to print any shirt with Prescott 1 and to donate all (or a high percentage) of the price to the Steve Prescott Foundation.

Edited by hindle xiii, 12 November 2013 - 09:13 AM.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#128 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:39 PM

http://www.sthelenss...urch_on_Monday/

#129 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 697 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

Sam Tomkins tribute http://www.samtomkin...to-perspective/
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#130 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

Very good stuff from Sam, there.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#131 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

Not sure if this is official but let's hope so.

Danny Brough's Scotland jersey for tomorrow night's game...

481004_10152048657606449_1529790935_n.jp

(Unashamedly pinched from elsewhere.)

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#132 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

Why not sign up for the St Helens 10K? It's held in March. It's organised by the Steve Prescott Foundation as Steve started it up a few years back, one of his initiatives for the town (along with the Taylor Park Challenge and the Pride of St Helens Awards).

One reason is it's a heck of a long way from where I live!

Could we not have a Steve Prescott 10 mile walk on the same day as the St Helens walk? I would be happy to organise one at my club.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#133 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

One reason is it's a heck of a long way from where I live!

Could we not have a Steve Prescott 10 mile walk on the same day as the St Helens walk? I would be happy to organise one at my club.

There were a bunch of Hull fans doing the last one! 

I was only suggesting it because Prescott started it up and it is organised by his charity so I thought running it may be a special way of remembering him, regardless of where you come from.  As a one off.

Edited by Saintslass, 14 November 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#134 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

There were a bunch of Hull fans doing the last one!

I was only suggesting it because Prescott started it up and it is organised by his charity so I thought running it may be a special way of remembering him, regardless of where you come from. As a one off.

Didn't mean to appear mardy. It was just a suggestion that local events around clubs could get more people involved than just those few willing to travel
A lot of smaller events could have quite as an impact.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#135 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

BBC Radio 5 reports that about 2,000 people turned out for Steve's funeral, including the England squad. A fine send-off.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#136 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

BBC Radio 5 reports that about 2,000 people turned out for Steve's funeral, including the England squad. A fine send-off.

I went to the service and managed to get a place in the church.  I don't live far away from the church but even so I was glad I went early - an hour beforehand - as the church was full with about 30 minutes still to go.  The England team cut it fine and I think Tomkins and a couple of others had to stay in the doorway of the church as there were no seats left (the church holds over 1000 people).  The service was broadcast to another crowd outside, probably around 1000 strong also at its peak, and it was all very moving.  However, I was entirely undone by Steve's eldest son Taylor and his short eulogy towards the end, especially when he said that he hoped he makes his Dad as proud of him as he was of his Dad.  Tears just wouldn't stay in the eyes at that point I'm afraid! (But we all gave him a huge round of applause)

Edited by Saintslass, 18 November 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#137 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

I went to the service and managed to get a place in the church.  I don't live far away from the church but even so I was glad I went early - an hour beforehand - as the church was full with about 30 minutes still to go.  The England team cut it fine and I think Tomkins and a couple of others had to stay in the doorway of the church as there were no seats left (the church holds over 1000 people).  The service was broadcast to another crowd outside, probably around 1000 strong also at its peak, and it was all very moving.  However, I was entirely undone by Steve's eldest son Taylor and his short eulogy towards the end, especially when he said that he hoped he makes his Dad as proud of him as he was of his Dad.  Tears just wouldn't stay in the eyes at that point I'm afraid! (But we all gave him a huge round of applause)

Thanks for that - a lovely post

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#138 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

I was entirely undone by Steve's eldest son Taylor and his short eulogy towards the end, especially when he said that he hoped he makes his Dad as proud of him as he was of his Dad. Tears just wouldn't stay in the eyes at that point I'm afraid! (But we all gave him a huge round of applause)

Tears are flowing in my house after reading that. Brave lad!

#139 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

http://www.sthelenss..._medium=twitter

Stephen Prescott, outstanding player, person and friend. An inspiration never to be forgotten. Rip.

#140 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

it was a very emotional service, many fans from other clubs were there to pay their respects and the service was interspersed with periods of applause for young taylor and other mentions of steve.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users