League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Implications of BT Sport's Champions League soccer deal on the value of RL to Sky

sky tv

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

They're raiding summer sports next but no mention of rugby league.

http://www.telegraph...mer-sports.html

If BT go after Cricket, F1 etc then Sky will have big holes in their summer schedule.  That would put us in a really good negotiating position.

#22 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,845 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

There was a piece on Money Box last night that suggested Sky will be investing more in original drama, who knows what there plans are for sport, there's a lot to be said for bidding up the competition and leaving them with an overpriced product whilst you focus elsewhere, worked well with Sky and Football League in the past given they let it sink an competitor and then bought back in for less than they'd been originally paying!.

#23 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

I hope the RFL approach BT sport to show Superleague games. The latest figures from BARB for Aviva premiership games is the biggest I've seen ever. That CL deal is huge for them but premiership football is the icing on the cake for any broadcasters.

this weeks figure of 95k for a Saturday game might well be the lowest for a Saturday game and is probably the first time the Saturday game has not followed on from a premier league game. coincidence?

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#24 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

Looking at what the so called experts are saying looks like all Sky will do is redirect the cash they would have spent on champ League into 1000 Downtown Abbey clones.

Looking at the BT sport stories in the paper and raiding summer. No mentions of RL. So why would sky offer more for RL if they are up against someone not at all interested in getting it?

We will remain a schedule filler sport for them.

What effect the BT sport deals will have is simply pushing up prices for sports package subscriptions.

Sky and BT will fight an upwards rights battle for those sports both want which will push up subscriptions (or even leave less money in the pot for the other sports like RL, considered that?) and if your a general sports fan you will simply have to pay multiple times to get top sports.

Edited by Li0nhead, 11 November 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#25 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Don't see what benefit a second french team would bring Sky, they don't broadcast to or have subscribers in France.

Any additional French team needs to come with their own, separate TV deal.

Are you sure about that? I know that sky operate in germany (unless it is a different company)...

#26 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

bein sport is part of the Al Jazeera network.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#27 Jarv

Jarv
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

I just wonder if Sky havent played the bidding for the champions league games pretty well by not bidding to a ridiclious amount. As someone not on BT I certainly wont be switching. I enjoy watching the champions league football.. because its free. I dont support any of the FOUR teams (which tend to be pretty much the same teams each year) so I cant help but think BT have in real terms bought into a pretty limited market.

#28 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

I just wonder if Sky havent played the bidding for the champions league games pretty well by not bidding to a ridiclious amount. As someone not on BT I certainly wont be switching. I enjoy watching the champions league football.. because its free. I dont support any of the FOUR teams (which tend to be pretty much the same teams each year) so I cant help but think BT have in real terms bought into a pretty limited market.

Nah, these tournaments will feature the likes of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal - basically the biggest clubs in England, plus the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid etc. they are huge draws.

These get very good viewing figures.

#29 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

It's a good one to have but still can't help but think bt have overplayed their hand. The problem bt have is that sky sports is one of a very strong portfolio that sky have built up over 20 years, including sky movies and effectively hbo uk and a platform that other channels pay to get on. Bt have put all their eggs in one basket

Edited by jannerboyuk, 11 November 2013 - 09:52 PM.

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#30 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

Question, is Sky Sports a sinking ship, should Super League be looking elsewhere.

#31 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:26 PM

Question, is Sky Sports a sinking ship, should Super League be looking elsewhere.

Answer: No

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#32 Crunchers Dad

Crunchers Dad
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

I heard this morning, that BT will have to add on another 3 million viewers, paying £20 / month (min); to ensure they can afford to cover this deal.
I love the CL, Sky & ITV's coverage is great, but it's FREE. I will not be paying extra for it, end of.
I think BT Sports might be going the way of ITV Digital, if they don't get the numbers right.
If we do go to a bidding war in a year or so, when the next deal is renegotiated, the the RL should ensure a proper highlights package is on domestic TV, if SKY win the rights. Plus we must ensure the games are put onto the "on demand" schedule, as this will be a future revenue & advertising stream, that will grow & grow.

#33 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:32 AM

this weeks figure of 95k for a Saturday game might well be the lowest for a Saturday game and is probably the first time the Saturday game has not followed on from a premier league game. coincidence?

I'm not sure if football fans will wait around for over an hour for the union to start after the premiership game but the international match between England and Australia at Twickers before hand wouldn't have help either.

#34 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,845 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

I heard this morning, that BT will have to add on another 3 million viewers, paying £20 / month (min); to ensure they can afford to cover this deal.
I love the CL, Sky & ITV's coverage is great, but it's FREE. I will not be paying extra for it, end of.
I think BT Sports might be going the way of ITV Digital, if they don't get the numbers right.
If we do go to a bidding war in a year or so, when the next deal is renegotiated, the the RL should ensure a proper highlights package is on domestic TV, if SKY win the rights. Plus we must ensure the games are put onto the "on demand" schedule, as this will be a future revenue & advertising stream, that will grow & grow.

As someone who worked at ITV Digitial to the bitter end I'm not sure about that.

BT turnover something like £20 billion a year, so a £300 million a year football contract might cost a few execs there bonuses and perhaps jobs but it won't sink a company.

ITV Digitial was a basket case company that Sky had by the short and curlys pretty much throughout there entire existance.

#35 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

I'm not sure if football fans will wait around for over an hour for the union to start after the premiership game but the international match between England and Australia at Twickers before hand wouldn't have help either.

its not an hour though, its about 15mins at best. as for the high figures at the end of October then the figures for all sports are higher than normal as it was a free weekend. the England union finished in ample time for union fans to switch over.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#36 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

I'm sure Super League will still have value to SKY, but I'm not so sure it will have much increased value. Afterall they couldn't be bothered to put in a half decent bid for the World Cup rights by all accounts, so are they that fussed? As others have said, SKY seem to be rebalancing what they do away from over-reliance on sport, moving to a more balanced portfolio of channels. I imagine they are also looking to make money by selling on their own productions worldwide (a la BBC & ITV), than simple forking out on sports rights.

Anyhow, I would suggest anyone thinking BT might come in and bid a stupid amount for RL should think twice. BT signed a 4 year deal for £152m for the rights to the Aviva Premiership, JP Morgan 7s and european matches featuring Aviva Premiership sides. Apparently, £100m of that amount is for exclusive broadcast rights of european cup rugby competition, which is £30m more than SKY were prepared to pay the organisers of the HEC. So a good deal. This £100m carrot is what the English clubs are dangling in front of the Celtic nations to get them to agree to sign up to the new competition that the Premiership and Top 14 have organised. However, what it does suggest is that BT see little value in the rights for the Aviva Premiership per se. 

I would have thought BT are looking to use the european competition to significantly expand their brand into other european market. Not sure that RL can offer them the same scope.

Edited by foozler, 12 November 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#37 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

Are you sure about that? I know that sky operate in germany (unless it is a different company)...

Yes

#38 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

Every TV contract we've ever signed has been doom-mongered by people within the game right up until the signing. The last one we had with Sky was still being negotiated when the previous one had run out and we'd already turned down an offer from them. People on here, and elsewhere, were having fits that we should have accepted their first offer and were certain that we were done for. What happened? We got a nice new contract. And then followed it up with another one.

There's too many miserable blooming northerners involved in this game.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#39 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

There's too many miserable blooming northerners involved in this game.

Nobody's here to be a cheerleader.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#40 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

​Do you know if that takes into account other income such as advertising. Will there be a pay per view option? etc. Is there an element of attracting broadband customers to switch from Sky to BT?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sky, tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users