BT sport

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

Well they're in the game now with exclusive champions league for three years from 2015 at a cost of £900m.

Will it be a success and what impact will it have on Sky?

Does subscription TV lend itself to completion like this, as soccerball lovers will now take two subscriptions and not one......

Edited by Larry the Leit, 10 November 2013 - 08:04 AM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,683 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

Sky has now lost the Guinness RU Premiership, the European Cup and the Europa Cup.

This can only be good news for RL. We should push for a shedload more money in return for switching the Championship back to winter and having an enlarged Superleague in the summer. I reckon Sky will have to re-bid for the NRL as well.

If we don't get that, hopefully BT will come calling.

On the other hand, maybe Sky might be currently feeling the financial pinch, in fear of the fine that could be levied over Hackgate. It has axed its text service.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

I still think the big draw is premiership soccerball. I assume you're being tongue in cheek re winter RL, and the scaling back or axing of text by all broadcasters says more about smartphones and the like than anything about Sky.

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

Expect Sky's next bid for Premiership soccer to be massive (as if it isn't already), if they lose that they have no reason to exist.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

Expect Sky's next bid for Premiership soccer to be massive (as if it isn't already), if they lose that they have no reason to exist.

Yes. Cricket too.

#6 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,948 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

Sky has now lost the Guinness RU Premiership, the European Cup and the Europa Cup.

This can only be good news for RL. We should push for a shedload more money in return for switching the Championship back to winter and having an enlarged Superleague in the summer. I reckon Sky will have to re-bid for the NRL as well.

If we don't get that, hopefully BT will come calling.

On the other hand, maybe Sky might be currently feeling the financial pinch, in fear of the fine that could be levied over Hackgate. It has axed its text service.

Depends how the cookie crumbles I guess, what if they decide to drop all sports bar football, or worse carve up football so they only buy it at individual club level which I'm sure would please the EU bods no end offering 20 bits of premier league pie to the market of which only 5 or 6 would get much interest!

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,683 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

I assume you're being tongue in cheek re winter RL,

Not at all. Sky will need something for midweek winter nights and so many of its minor-coverage  sports ... speedway, horse racing, tennis, golf ... are, in this country at least, summer sports.

I can also see basketball, boxing, snooker, rallying and ice hockey organisations rubbing their hands at this news.

What would be great would be mainstream Sky coverage of bullriding (Seriously; it's brilliant).

#8 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

What would be great would be mainstream Sky coverage of bullriding (Seriously; it's brilliant).

It really isn't, I've seen it. Neither as a spectacle nor from an animal rights stance.

#9 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

Are BT seriously thinking they'll recoup £300m a year for about 40-ish games of Champions League football?  People tolerate much of Sky's sport funding because it's all hidden in their other costs and "just" buying Sky Sports on top of normal Sky packages is relatively cheap.  BT have BT Sport and that's it on the satellite package, if you have BT internet then you get it free

I assume we'll see our phone bills go up to compensate for this, even if you don't use BT phone services.  Some strange increase in the cost of some component, maybe copper wiring, that forces Openreach to increase costs to everyone yet increasing BT's overall revenues.  I think the regulators will have to be sharp over the next few years to keep an eye on this.

The only real winner from this will be the football world where I can see the next domestic contract to go for an astronomical figure that blows away everything previously.

I'm not really sure how much value for money I get from Sky Sports.  I watch rugby league and the occasional game of cricket, I maybe watch a game or two of football a year but even that's going as it's mainly the big European matches I like to see.  I really do grudge subsidising football from my Sky bill and would very happily have all football cut from my package if my bill went down by how much they tack on my bill for this subsidisation.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#10 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

Sky will have to go on an offensive to fill the space left by Champions league, so sports currently on the platform will be able to ask for more £. And what with Al-jazeera strongly tipped to enter the UK market next time Premier league bidding comes up it seems that UK sports could be awash with potential suitors.

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,683 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Sky will have to go on an offensive to fill the space left by Champions league, so sports currently on the platform will be able to ask for more £. And what with Al-jazeera strongly tipped to enter the UK market next time Premier league bidding comes up it seems that UK sports could be awash with potential suitors.

European Netball will become the number-one rated tv programme across the Middle East.

:biggrin:

#12 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

There was a feature on this during the noxious Wake-up to Money slot on FiveLive this morning.  They, like a lot of us on here don't see the point/attraction of Champions League games as opposed to the Premiership ones.  The real challenge here is the marker it sets down for Sky when it comes to Premiership soccer in 2015 and beyond, they, and BT are going to have to make massive bids to make sure that i) Sky don't have nothing, and ii) BT aren't left with a lame duck.

An example of competition pushing the prices higher?  I'd say so.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

I don't think that we could be regarded as representative of soccer fans though.  In terms of higher prices, maybe BT will charge less than Sky wouldl have done, though not as little as ITV did for the few games they showed. Plus BT have said the final will be FOC. 

#14 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

I don't think that we could be regarded as representative of soccer fans though.  In terms of higher prices, maybe BT will charge less than Sky wouldl have done, though not as little as ITV did for the few games they showed. Plus BT have said the final will be FOC. 

Which is pretty much the only game that the casual fan will tune in for.

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

Surely there's a breaking point in this in terms of what consumers will pay for.  Sky will have to up their bid for the big prize next time round, that'll inevitably raise the cost of subscription if they win, if BT win though who'll pay for it?  I have BT Sport but I got it as a freebie, I suppose I count as a subscriber but if they asked me to pay for it then I'd politely decline, even if it were a token amount.  I wonder how many other people are in the same situation.

Even those who are real TV football addicts and watch all the football shown, surely there's a time when the price just gets too high for it to be of any value at all.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#16 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

Sky's CEO Jeremy Darroch is on record as saying that he wants to spend less on sport and invest more money into producing homegrown TV series instead of filling their schedules with imported US shows. They have said recently that they will be investing £600m into achieving this and so I think there will be several consequences of that on the sports broadcasting side starting with this decision not to overpay for Champions League football.

#17 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

I have BT Sport but I got it as a freebie, I suppose I count as a subscriber but if they asked me to pay for it then I'd politely decline, even if it were a token amount.  I wonder how many other people are in the same situation.

Pretty much the same situation, I got BT Sport free when my employer insisted I had a second line put in at home and I went with BT to get the fibre broadband. 

I am just waiting for them to announce the end of the free subscription and what they hope to charge.

28m391z.jpg

#18 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

BskyB's shares dropped by 10%.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#19 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,921 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

BskyB's shares dropped by 10%.

In that case it might not be a bad idea to buy some.

The big prize in football is the Premiership, with 20 clubs and therefore 20 sets of supporters.

The Champions League only involves four English clubs every season. Admittedly they tend to be the four biggest clubs.

But I suppose Sky thinks they already have most of their supporters as subscribers already, and that is unlikely to change. How could they justify shelling out more than £299 million per year to probably attract no additional subscribers? And by not paying for the Champions League, their loss of existing subscribers will be very small.

You can see BT Sport's logic, but I think most football fans want to watch their club, and are not necessarily enamoured by watching other clubs.

A bigger prize for BT Sport or any other channel would be to get the rights for England's games. That would make a more significant impact on their bottom line.

In our own sport, you only have to compare the World Cup viewing figures with the figures for the Challenge Cup to realise where the real potential lies.

#20 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

In that case it might not be a bad idea to buy some.

The big prize in football is the Premiership, with 20 clubs and therefore 20 sets of supporters.

The Champions League only involves four English clubs every season. Admittedly they tend to be the four biggest clubs.

You're right Martyn.  Sky cannot afford to lose Premiership soccer to BT.  It's that that guarantees 40 weeks of football for 20 clubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users