Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Could Fiji sustain an NRL side?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,829 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

Just thought I'd throw this one out there. Looking like they're the 4th best nation in the world (again). Could they sustain a team in the NRL? They're the fourth largest Pacific nation. There's a couple of large stadiums in the country. They've got talent and a proud following. Why not?

(I know nothing of Fiji by the way, so would be interesting to hear people's opinions!)
Posted Image

#2 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

Just thought I'd throw this one out there. Looking like they're the 4th best nation in the world (again). Could they sustain a team in the NRL? They're the fourth largest Pacific nation. There's a couple of large stadiums in the country. They've got talent and a proud following. Why not?

(I know nothing of Fiji by the way, so would be interesting to hear people's opinions!)

Great shout and like I've said as a sport we need to put the international development first and would love the nrl to help develop these pacifi nations as we could potentially have a few more teams that can really challenge the big 3. Like you say Fiji have done really well and are now getting more competitive very year a proper rugby nation and a bit like png the aim should be to get a side in the Queensland cup then look to build

#3 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

I'd have a franchise in Fiji based in Suva tomorrow but sadly I can't really see it happening anytime soon as like most things it comes down to money. I think I read somewhere that it costs between $10-$20 million a year to run a NRL team and with Fiji being a developing country where would they get that sort of money from? Also a big part of a franchise being accepted by the NRL is the new potential tv markets a new club can offer for the money men of the NRL and with Fiji being a developing country I can't see many Fijians having enough disposable to buy cable tv.

#4 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

Didn't the Fiji residents beat the Australian based Fijians in a trial match too?? That suggests to me there is pleanty of untapped potential there.... I've really taken to these Fijians so glad I went to spotland for the Ireland game hope to see them at wembley too

#5 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

Didn't the Fiji residents beat the Australian based Fijians in a trial match too?? That suggests to me there is pleanty of untapped potential there.... I've really taken to these Fijians so glad I went to spotland for the Ireland game hope to see them at wembley too

#6 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

Not sure if it would be economically practical to include an NRL side playing home games in Fiji.

Yes, it's only a little further away from the East coast of Aus than Auckland is (NZ Warriors), but I'm not sure that there would be the required commercial clout in Fiji when compared with New Zealand.

Personally I can see these points being a sensible plan for the short to medium term future:

- Further development of the Fijian domestic league(s).

- Development opportunities/close ties to existing NRL sides to enable domestic players to play in existing NRL sides.

- Guaranteed annual home (and away) international fixtures against other Pacific Nations.

- A guaranteed annual visit from one or more of GB (or UK home nations), NZ or Australia.

Edited by Banbury Wolf, 10 November 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#7 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

How big is union in Fiji ?

#8 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

Aren't Fiji subject to sanctions from both Australia and New Zealand presently?

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,829 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Not sure if it would be economically practical to include an NRL side playing home games in Fiji.
Yes, it's only a little further away from the East coast of Aus than Auckland is (NZ Warriors), but I'm not sure that there would be the required commercial clout in Fiji when compared with New Zealand.

Personally I can see these points being a sensible plan for the short to medium term future:
- Further development of the Fijian domestic league(s).
- Development opportunities/close ties to existing NRL sides to enable domestic players to play in existing NRL sides.
- Guaranteed annual home (and away) international fixtures against other Pacific Nations.
- A guaranteed annual visit from one or more of GB (or UK home nations), NZ or Australia.

Finance is obviously the main issue and I'm not sure if it's an obstacle that could be overcome to be honest.

Only issue I've got with getting more Fijians in the NRL is that they'll end up becoming "Australian" and the whole point will be lost.

Wonder if they can get a 3 test series between NZ and Fiji to run alongside SOO? Most of the Fijians are in the NRL right?
Posted Image

#10 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

Aren't Fiji subject to sanctions from both Australia and New Zealand presently?

Due to the 2006 military coup but they are easing of late.

#11 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

Only issue I've got with getting more Fijians in the NRL is that they'll end up becoming "Australian" and the whole point will be lost.

It's true that this might still be an issue.

#12 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

You wouldn't get as many Fijians swapping nations if they were guaranteed more meaningful internationals. I think that goes for every country. Let's hope they capitalise on this after the world
Cup.
waddell

#13 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,829 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

You wouldn't get as many Fijians swapping nations if they were guaranteed more meaningful internationals. I think that goes for every country. Let's hope they capitalise on this after the world
Cup.

But it'd still probably happen. Some people just want to win, so they become Australian. See Tony Carroll!
Posted Image

#14 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

provided they make the semis in this world cup as they did in the last I'm sure we can comfortably say they are the fourth best nation in the world. PNG and France seem to have gone backwards since 08 and the other Island and European nations are not developing players like Fiji.

#15 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

Yes they did. The overseas squad didn't include any players from the NRL but was selected Queensland Cup, NSWRL Cup and the NZ equivalent competitions. For a team made up of players from the domestic league to beat a team of that standard shows how good the game is in Fiji.

The 'Battle of the Bati' attracted a decent crowd too; First half highlights. I don't wher the second half is.

The Fijians take the game seriously.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#16 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

Maybe Super League could give them 3 franchises? 

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,456 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

They might sustain an NRL team if they could persuade the existing clubs to give up all or most of their Fiji-qualified talent. Which is extremely unlikely.

And if they went down the PNG route of trying to get a team into the Queensland Cup (or NSW equivalent), the distances (and therefore costs) involved would probably mean they'd be better off located in Australia.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#18 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

How big is union in Fiji ?

Its massive 15's then 7's and daylight then football daylight and who knows after that....It will never work due to financial issues but the more Fijians playing in the NRL is good got their international team.

#19 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

provided they make the semis in this world cup as they did in the last I'm sure we can comfortably say they are the fourth best nation in the world. PNG and France seem to have gone backwards since 08 and the other Island and European nations are not developing players like Fiji.

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM
In 2008 France lost to Samoa 10-42. In that match they were blown away by the Samoans. In their previous match in the 2008 World Cup they were beaten 42-6 by Fiji.

I don't know how you can say that France have gone backwards.

#20 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

Rugby is the National Sport in Fiji(mainly Union) but any code is played in all the Villages.

Uate was on stand by for the Australian Squad, Haynes was selected.

Most of the Young Players ambitions is to learn there Trade abroad and then play for there Country of Birth either now or later in there careers !

The Fiji Police played in a 3 team tournament(Australia /UK) earlier this year in the UK, they Thrashed UK 72-0 lost to Australia by 4 points i believe and none of those players made the Bati Team and they was plenty of Talent on Show 

But as People have touched on it all comes down to Finances or lack of 

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . . . . . . . Which one did you perform? "

Andy 'Ghosty' Rogose is Ghostbuster

(Vice Chairman Rochdale Fijian Association) (Member Rochdale Mayfield A.R.L.F.C)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users