Could Fiji sustain an NRL side?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

Rugby is the National Sport in Fiji(mainly Union) but any code is played in all the Villages.

Rugby union and football is played in all villages and provinces but rugby league isn't available at all in many parts of Fiji yet. Lack of international competition and finances is holding the game back in many countries including Fiji.

#22 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM
In 2008 France lost to Samoa 10-42. In that match they were blown away by the Samoans. In their previous match in the 2008 World Cup they were beaten 42-6 by Fiji.

I don't know how you can say that France have gone backwards.

Well, a couple of years ago they got beat by Wales in the euro cup, missing out on the 4N, Wales finished last in this years WC. France have only scored 15 points in the whole of the competition this year. They have also lost their yearly fixture against England.

I'm not sure how your use of games that took place 5 years ago on the other side of the world works in comparison to games in France over the last couple of years so I don't know how you can say they have gone forwards?

#23 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

Well, a couple of years ago they got beat by Wales in the euro cup, missing out on the 4N, Wales finished last in this years WC. France have only scored 15 points in the whole of the competition this year. They have also lost their yearly fixture against England.

I'm not sure how your use of games that took place 5 years ago on the other side of the world works in comparison to games in France over the last couple of years so I don't know how you can say they have gone forwards?

I think if they had played Wales in this World Cup they would have beaten them don't you?

Also, you did say that France have gone backwards since "08 in your original post. So I think that comparing how they did in the 2008 World Cup with how they have done in this world cup is a valid comparison is it not?

#24 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Could Fiji have a successfull side competing in the 2d grade comp in aus in the same way as png think its a great stepping stone for these pacific nations as we all know they have fantastic rugby players passionate fans ect but just need foundations to be put in place

#25 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

I think if they had played Wales in this World Cup they would have beaten them don't you?

Also, you did say that France have gone backwards since "08 in your original post. So I think that comparing how they did in the 2008 World Cup with how they have done in this world cup is a valid comparison is it not?

Its hard to say really and also a moot point as they won't be playing each other.

We could also say they beat Scotland in the last WC (one result you conveniently left out of your first post, probably to suit your argument) and maybe wouldn't have beaten them in this one, but again that would show us nothing and would all be supposition.

As I have already said I think France have gone backwards since the last WC, not that we should simply compare results in isolation to suit your argument and another reason for that which i missed in my original post was they should really have been beaten by PNG, they are lucky to have made the quarters really. They will also (barring a miracle against England) leave the competition with the same number of wins and points.

I  also think that some key payers are getting older or retiring and its hard to see where the replacements are coming from.

I don't think the direct comparison to the last WC is fair because we have had more opportunities to measure France, whereas unfortunately for Fiji, which is what the thread was actually about, we don't have the same number of fixtures to measure them against.

Sadly they have only played two tests that I know of since they last lost to Australia in the last WC.

Edited by Marv Woodburn, 14 November 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#26 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

The travel costs would not be sustainable for a team based in Fiji and unless they were prepared to play the bulk of their games in Australia which would defeat the purpose I imagine the NRL Clubs would want compensation to travel to Fiji home games.

I am not sure if English fans realise the distances and costs between teams in the NRL compared to SL where the Catalans or the London Broncos is a big travelling away game where few travelling fans attend the game.

Have a look how far Auckland is from Oz and Melbourne is from Townsville.

Its a big place and travelling is expensive and draining on a team.
When Perth get their franchise it will be tougher again, the travel costs were one of the key factors in the ARL Perth team nearly going broke and jumping to "Super League" until they ditched them.

Unless there are media sales that can subsidise, long distance travel and accommodation, transport ect, it will not happen, what does Fiji have to offer media and advertising sales?...................................................................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users