RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dr Who trailer

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

I thought that was excellent. Perfect bit of drama for Doctor Who nerds like me, but also a broad enough story about '60s TV and human frailty too for those non-Who fans open minded enough to have watched it (won't find many of those on here of course  :onthequiet:  ).

David Bradley was spot on as William Hartnell and the supporting cast were great too, as was the attention to detail with old sets and costumes.

That was very good indeed.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#22 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Who knew John Pertwee had a recording career too?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#23 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

Really loving the build up to this. I thought Brian Cox was great last week, and the other Brian Cox was good last night too!

Going to miss the show tomorrow night, because I'll be in the pub after Wembley. I shall make a nice space in the diary on Sunday and sit down to enjoy it.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#24 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

When i heard radioheads first album i said it was ######.

Clearly a person of taste and discernment

As well as someone with the will to live

Result

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#25 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

Clearly a person of taste and discernment

As well as someone with the will to live

Result

and then i heard the next album and all was good and i re listened the first album and this was good as well.

I look around
I search the skies
I shade my eyes
So nearly blind
And I see signs of half remembered days
I hear bells that chime in strange familiar ways
I recognise...
The hope you kindle in your eyes

#26 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

a culture show special now "me you and doctor who"

I look around
I search the skies
I shade my eyes
So nearly blind
And I see signs of half remembered days
I hear bells that chime in strange familiar ways
I recognise...
The hope you kindle in your eyes

#27 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:20 AM

It was dire.

#28 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

Just a suggestion. If you don't like Dr Who, don't watch it or any programmes associated with it - there are hundreds of other entertainment channels available, DVDs and actual real life that can act as a substitute.

It's how I cope with the fact that X factor exists.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#29 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Just a suggestion. If you don't like Dr Who, don't watch it or any programmes associated with it - there are hundreds of other entertainment channels available, DVDs and actual real life that can act as a substitute.

It's how I cope with the fact that X factor exists.

Agree.

Why rain on someone else's parade? Never could see the point in that.

And Doctor Who smashed the X Factor in the TV ratings last night! :)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#30 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

I am going watch it again and more sober as was in a foul mood after the Rugby League and Boxing result's.

At least it beat the X-Factor which is nice.

#31 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

I imagine there will be a barrage of emails from chippy Torchwood fans about the excessive airtime the BBC has given to Dr Who.

Still, at least it's over with now and it grabbed my attention about as much as the Sick Nations did.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#32 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

I imagine there will be a barrage of emails from chippy Torchwood fans about the excessive airtime the BBC has given to Dr Who.

Still, at least it's over with now and it grabbed my attention about as much as the Sick Nations did.

The last Torchwood was a long winded boring glitzy drawn out affair and I thought I was watching E.R.

But I think there should be another spin off with Madame Vastra the Silurian and her girlfriend Jenny alongside Strax the Sontaran.

#33 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

Naughty old Tom Baker, complaining in an interview a few days ago about not being invited to take part! :biggrin:

#34 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

I thought it was great, Dr Who at its best. Funny, clever, involving, great guest appearances, and it's set the show up nicely for a long time to come.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#35 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

Naughty old Tom Baker, complaining in an interview a few days ago about not being invited to take part! :biggrin:

I bet he was a hoot to work with. Either that, or a (insert sweary word of choice) nightmare. I was surprised to see him, given that he refused to join in the 20th anniversary. Even William Hartnell appeared in that, and he was dead. :)
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

I bet he was a hoot to work with. Either that, or a (insert sweary word of choice) nightmare. I was surprised to see him, given that he refused to join in the 20th anniversary. Even William Hartnell appeared in that, and he was dead. :)

If you haven't read Tom's autobiography, stick it on your Christmas list. One hell of a read.

He came to my school once, during his 'Doctor Who' days, long scarf and all. I was sick that day and never got to meet him. :( 

Edited by Futtocks, 25 November 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#37 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

Just watched it again sober and was good but I think it's a show for over 14's.

#38 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'd like to recommend a watch of 'The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot' for anyone who thinks the show takes itself too seriously these days, or anyone who is/was a fan of the classic series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b03lv3mj

Written, directed and starring Peter Davison, with other ex-Doctors Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy sending themselves up brilliantly, with loads of guest cameos including Olivia 'I'm usually in everything' Colman and Sir Ian 'Gandalf' McKellen.

Tis very funny. Might even cheer up a few TRL grumps. ;)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users