Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The union is doooomed, doooomed I tell you!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,841 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

If this is the quality of the "No" campaign.  One set of figures released by the SNP showed that an independent Scotland could have the 3rd highest GDP per head in the EU and the very best that the "No" campaign can do is say that Scotland will have to pay more tax to the EU to compensate for all that extra oil money.  It's like saying to someone that they've won the lottery jackpot but then saying it's a bad thing because they'll have to pay a lot of tax on the interest they earn.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,169 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

The "poor campaign" is winning by a mile so it can't be all bad.

I'd suggest that the news article that you quoted is simply "not very good". It's too short to really cover anything. It certainly would be a poor argument that Scotland would have the third highest GDP and so will pay more to the EU as a result. However, what is not mentioned but IMO rather key is that the UK has a rebate that Thatcher negotiated, an independent Scotland would have no such rebate and it would not be surprising if payments to the EU were, indeed, higher.

The third highest GDP bit just seems like nonsense though. Luxemburg is far in front. So there would have to be only one "proper country" richer than Scotland in the entire EU. I'd suggest that there would be at least 5 or 6.

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

The "poor campaign" is winning by a mile so it can't be all bad.

No was winning anyway so the campaign doesn't have to really be any good.  Which is probably just as well.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

If this is the quality of the "No" campaign.  One set of figures released by the SNP showed that an independent Scotland could have the 3rd highest GDP per head in the EU and the very best that the "No" campaign can do is say that Scotland will have to pay more tax to the EU to compensate for all that extra oil money.  It's like saying to someone that they've won the lottery jackpot but then saying it's a bad thing because they'll have to pay a lot of tax on the interest they earn.

You wouldn't believe the ###### Project Fear (as Better Together likes to call itself) have been throwing at us but I think I now understand why the Scottish Government went for a long campaign. People are becoming weary of the scare tactics. Thats why the recent "Vote no or Govan gets it!" threat has provoked such a negative reaction here.

Even many pro-union commentators have become exasperated at the poor quality of the No campaign's arguments. My favourite was when Margaret Curran, Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland, came up with her completely bizarre contribution: Her son is studying at an English university, and she doesn't want independence because "he would become a foreigner." Even forgetting the complete absurdity of that statement, why does a senior British politician, and a Labour Party one at that, think being a foreigner is a bad thing?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#5 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

Its always slightly puzzled me because the torys really -shouldn't- want Scotland to remain in the UK. There are currently 59 MP's from Scotland and I can't remember if its 1 or none of them that are Conservative.

Anyway as the campaign runs on I'm expecting top torys to head up there and give really condescending speeches in support of the union, to give and extra boost to the yes campaign.

#6 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,057 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

Its all part of the plan.   Even as a centrist, I really want to see Scotland freed from its dependency on England so both countries can take their rightful places on the world stage.

#7 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,169 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

No was winning anyway so the campaign doesn't have to really be any good.  Which is probably just as well.

It was winning anyway but the gap has become even wider.

#8 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

Christ, are people still banging on about this. Have the vote, get it over with.

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

It was winning anyway but the gap has become even wider.

I have to say it's been such a foregone conclusion I've not really been paying that much attention to the polls.

- Severus, July 2012

#10 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

Christ, are people still banging on about this. Have the vote, get it over with.

It's pretty difficult to have the vote before the polling day.  Does this help?

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,057 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

No. bring forward polling day. in fact, don't even have one. We should just move out of Scotland  today, taking with us everything that is ours, like the banks and the money and handing back everything we've got of theirs, including Nicky Campbell and Ian Robertson.

Edited by JohnM, 11 November 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#12 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

It's pretty difficult to have the vote before the polling day.  Does this help?

Move the polling day.

#13 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,841 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

I have to say it's been such a foregone conclusion I've not really been paying that much attention to the polls.

That's a very dangerous attitude to have for unionism's sake.  On-street opinion is for a clear "No" vote but when the "Yes" campaign have had debates with the other side there has been a decisive change in voting intentions.  For once, Dave Cameron has it right in declining a debate with Eck Salmond as he'd lose and not gracefully either.

I can still see "No" winning but it'll be a lot closer than people think.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

That's a very dangerous attitude to have for unionism's sake.  On-street opinion is for a clear "No" vote but when the "Yes" campaign have had debates with the other side there has been a decisive change in voting intentions.  For once, Dave Cameron has it right in declining a debate with Eck Salmond as he'd lose and not gracefully either.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on the vote so I wasn't being damning of anybody in thinking it's already a foregone conclusion.

- Severus, July 2012

#15 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Move the polling day.

I'm busy at the moment, would you mind taking up this action?

#16 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,169 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

I do not care about the union. In fact I want Scotland to bugg leave the union but I'm not sure which opinion polls you've been looking at. The yes vote is struggling to get even 30% support and I know of no demographic where they are ahead of the no vote.

#17 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,841 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

I do not care about the union. In fact I want Scotland to bugg leave the union but I'm not sure which opinion polls you've been looking at. The yes vote is struggling to get even 30% support and I know of no demographic where they are ahead of the no vote.

Even on that one statistic.  3 out of 10 people want independence, 5 out of 10 would vote "no" today and the other 2 are undecided.  That's not exactly convincing.  All it would take is some idiot move by the Tories or the Scottish Labour lot realising that Ed Miliband is deliberately distancing himself from them and that 2 out of 10 could go the "yes" way and some of the "no" voters might just not turn out.

Also, I just realised that I could be a dual national if I really wanted if Scotland got independence!  Flash the right type of passport for the right occasion...

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,169 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

Even on that one statistic.  3 out of 10 people want independence, 5 out of 10 would vote "no" today and the other 2 are undecided.  That's not exactly convincing.  All it would take is some idiot move by the Tories or the Scottish Labour lot realising that Ed Miliband is deliberately distancing himself from them and that 2 out of 10 could go the "yes" way and some of the "no" voters might just not turn out.

It's not 3 out of 10. It's 1.5 million out of 5 million. I realise that this is the same proportion but whilst it is possible that 2 voters might switch at the last minute, it is highly unlikely that a couple of million might. Especially since the campaign is already quite old and there has been very little movement from either camp. The independence lobby is consistently at around 25-30% and has been for decades, to double overnight would be quite extraordinary.

#19 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

I remember listening to Salmond in the late 90's and being impressed by his rhetoric.
I thought them if I were a Scot I would probably vote for him. That has coloured my opinion to the point that ever since then I have thought just Brugge off the then.
Thank you for your past contributions to the UK but I struggle to find any positives that you bring to the party today.
Perhaps when they have gone we can leave our clocks set at summer time all year round.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#20 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

It's funny but Scotland ruled the chart's in 1987 with Proclaimer's/ Hue and Cry and Danny Wilson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users