TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Samoa and tonga. Key to international rl sucess.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Love this game

Love this game
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:56 AM

No jokes.. If the ceo of international rl.. Dont get samoa or tonga to have there own state of origin or clash of the titans.. Rugby league wont grow..

#2 Love this game

Love this game
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:01 AM

If i was the boss of international rl.. Id have a whole month, middle of the year.. For state of origin and international rl.. Tonga vs samoa played at eden park.. Played the same time as the state of origin.. Nz vs england in wellington or christchurch.. Winner of that game, plays the winner between nz and england.. In ericsson staduim.. And the winner of that game.. Plays the mighty kangaroos in austrilia.. Newcastle.

#3 Love this game

Love this game
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:05 AM

Oh forgot to say why samoa vs tonga key to international success.. 1.. Your get 50 thousand fans.. And 2ndly the noise be so loud, drums, hakas.. Chants that your think its a soccer game.. And would put to shame any state of origin amposthere.. Trust me.. If u google the tongan rugby union world cup.. Your get a fair idea the type of support these two nations would get.

#4 bazza_merged

bazza_merged
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

Samoa v Tonga was played this year at Penrith on the same weekend as the Australia v NZ test match

The crowd was just under 10k. It was a double header with the U20 State of Origin

I believe that this fixture has been set down to be played for the next few years

#5 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:46 AM

Is there an Islanders cup where PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Cook's, Hawaii, Jamacia, Malta  & a.n others battle it out ?

Edited by mick wilson, 11 November 2013 - 03:47 AM.

#6 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

Oh forgot to say why samoa vs tonga key to international success.. 1.. Your get 50 thousand fans.. And 2ndly the noise be so loud, drums, hakas.. Chants that your think its a soccer game.. And would put to shame any state of origin amposthere.. Trust me.. If u google the tongan rugby union world cup.. Your get a fair idea the type of support these two nations would get.

More likely a crowd between 5000 and 8000 at Western Springs stadium. You need to have the locals back home interested as Tongans and Samoan living in Auckland have been exposed to the games through the NRL.

#7 Love this game

Love this game
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

Well.. To answer all the questions asked.. why in hold it in austrilia, when auckland is known as the capital city of polynesians.. It be like playing state of origin in perth.. Where afl the no 1 game.. 2ndly a samoa vs tonga.. Would easily attract 25 thousand fans, and 15 thousand of them be tongans.. The one thing about tongans is they love to outdo samoa.. But like i said.. Make the game so the winner plays the nz kiwis.. At eden park. The great thing about auckland.. Is you can have 20 thousand samoans a toa samoa, or tahai tonga.. And 20 thousand kiwis.. Unlike.. England or austrilia. That tribal rivalry.. Will make international rugby league to life.. Trust my words.. Hoping the nzrl ceo reads this

#8 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

I think adding the concept of winner plays one of the big boys really would excite the fans.
We really do need to start looking at bringing a proper international window mid season.
waddell

#9 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

Well.. To answer all the questions asked.. why in hold it in austrilia, when auckland is known as the capital city of polynesians.. It be like playing state of origin in perth.. Where afl the no 1 game.. 2ndly a samoa vs tonga.. Would easily attract 25 thousand fans, and 15 thousand of them be tongans.. The one thing about tongans is they love to outdo samoa.. But like i said.. Make the game so the winner plays the nz kiwis.. At eden park. The great thing about auckland.. Is you can have 20 thousand samoans a toa samoa, or tahai tonga.. And 20 thousand kiwis.. Unlike.. England or austrilia. That tribal rivalry.. Will make international rugby league to life.. Trust my words.. Hoping the nzrl ceo reads this

I agree it should be held in Auckland for those exact same reasons. Having said that we also need international fixtures in the countries themselves - Tonga and Samoa.

#10 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

I thin that while the Islands are competitive in this tournament, long-term the countries are simply too small to every mount a serious challenge to the big 3. This leaves them susceptible to their players being poached by Aus and NZ.

Like the West Indies in cricket (who individually, those nations could never challenge), I'd like to see a combine Pacific test team, made up of Fiji, Samoa,Cook Islands and Tonga.they could merge their federations and have one single entity (Pacific Rugby League). I believe the would instantly create a 4th test nation capable of winning the WC and give Islander RL players a realistic test career without having to play for Aus or NZ.

While we all like the romance of the little nations punching above their weight, the islands are simply too small to ever be a true contender, thus this is the best way forward IMO.

Edited by goldcoaster, 11 November 2013 - 09:36 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

Why don't we merger with France and Italy too??

#12 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

I thin that while the Islands are competitive in this tournament, long-term the countries are simply too small to every mount a serious challenge to the big 3. This leaves them susceptible to their players being poached by Aus and NZ.

Like the West Indies in cricket (who individually, those nations could never challenge), I'd like to see a combine Pacific test team, made up of Fiji, Samoa,Cook Islands and Tonga.they could merge their federations and have one single entity (Pacific Rugby League). I believe the would instantly create a 4th test nation capable of winning the WC and give Islander RL players a realistic test career without having to play for Aus or NZ.

While we all like the romance of the little nations punching above their weight, the islands are simply too small to ever be a true contender, thus this is the best way forward IMO.

A merger would be great for one-off tests or perhaps an 'Oceania Islands' touring team, but a World Cup in my opinion is about celebrating diversity and having a go to see how far you can get. I'm sure all the participating nations have a underlying wish to win the cup, but most of them drive towards more attainable goals (first WC win, 1/4 final qualification, 1/2 final qualification), striving to reach their target or better it at the next tournament. That's the real magic!

Edited by Banbury Wolf, 11 November 2013 - 09:55 PM.

• abd likes this

#13 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

Fiji don't need a merger with anyone!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#14 Love this game

Love this game
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:46 AM

To answer the question about merging island nations.. Due to not able to compete.. I think your wrong.. Imagine if toa samoa had sonny bill willams, tevesa shrek, ben teo or kasiano.. Note rugby league is big in nz.. Not samoa.. Think about henry tuilagi, ma a nonu, j sevea.. Or nfl.. With over 40 samoans playing nfl.. Now if samoa could play one sport and one nation.. Can you imangine the team they could have..

#15 Love this game

Love this game
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:51 AM

I can.. Samoa dream backline.. Anthony milford half.. anesi tuilagi fullback.. manu tuilagi, ma a nonu, sonny bill willams 1st five.. and julian savea.. Winger Thats just my backline.. Lol

#16 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

The populations of Tonga and Samoa are quite small. Each has a population smaller than Milton Keynes for example. The both produce competitive teams based in large part of heritage players from NZ and Australia and most would play for the Aussies or the Kiwis if they had the chance. They are a great part of the World Cup but if you are talking about investment, development, home matches etc I would be looking at PNG and Fiji.

#17 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Which players have actually been poached by Australia or NZ? If anything the poaching is occurring in the other direction.

#18 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

Any good players from the 4 island nations will elect to play for Aus or NZ if they excel in the NRL over the next 4 years. This is because of the financial rewards and the fact the islands only play meaningful games once every 4 years.

If they had a Combined islands team, they would b a permanant fixture in the 4Nations and could play mid-season test down under. They wold be attractive o TV companies and sponsors, and could generate revenue like Aus or NZ. It means players could earn $50k per test like Aus or NZ. Most of all, they could genuinely challenge the big 3 nations, which is something the game has lacked for 50 years (a 4th top tier nation).

There is a reason he West Indies nations do not compete individually in international cricket- as they know that instead of the strong nation they ave, they would have half a dozen weak nations not capable of challenging. By pooling together, the West Indies has been a major success story in cricket and has dominated the game at different points over the last half-century, and has done more to promote cricket in those islands than they ever could individually.

The same strategy should be used in the Pacific or RL. Union missed the boat by not persisting with their joint-island test team. But our game should pursue it, and I believe it could lead to RL dominating the Pacific.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

Any good players from the 4 island nations will elect to play for Aus or NZ if they excel in the NRL over the next 4 years. This is because of the financial rewards and the fact the islands only play meaningful games once every 4 years.
If they had a Combined islands team, they would b a permanant fixture in the 4Nations and could play mid-season test down under. They wold be attractive o TV companies and sponsors, and could generate revenue like Aus or NZ. It means players could earn $50k per test like Aus or NZ. Most of all, they could genuinely challenge the big 3 nations, which is something the game has lacked for 50 years (a 4th top tier nation).
There is a reason he West Indies nations do not compete individually in international cricket- as they know that instead of the strong nation they ave, they would have half a dozen weak nations not capable of challenging. By pooling together, the West Indies has been a major success story in cricket and has dominated the game at different points over the last half-century, and has done more to promote cricket in those islands than they ever could individually.
The same strategy should be used in the Pacific or RL. Union missed the boat by not persisting with their joint-island test team. But our game should pursue it, and I believe it could lead to RL dominating the Pacific.

Interesting.

You must be talking sense-your a Brentford supporter!

#20 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Interesting.
You must be talking sense-your a Brentford supporter!

Haha. Up the Bees
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users